Production problems for Sub Phatty?

Everything Sub.
subb

Production problems for Sub Phatty?

Post by subb » Wed May 22, 2013 4:55 pm

I'm sorry to have to bring up that topic again, but I've ordered my Sub Phatty early March at my local shop (Montreal, Canada) and was estimated to ship in early April. The latest estimate I was given was early May. Every time I call them I get another estimate. We are almost in June now. We are seeing only a few Sub Phatty's here and there, has if only a handful of unit were produced. If I remember correctly, it was announced at NAMM to ship in March (production ramping up in February). I've seen comments in this forum talking about shipping dates around September in the UK. Really? What is going on?

Now I know that Moog products are assemble by hand, but this is getting a bit ridiculous. Either Moog have a seriously hard time estimating their production or they are running into production problems. I would be nice to have some kind of clue of what is going on.

Howard Scarr

Re: Production problems for Sub Phatty?

Post by Howard Scarr » Wed May 22, 2013 5:41 pm

My guess is that demand turned out to be much higher than they expected!
BTW the Sub is the first Moog in decades that piqued my interest.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed May 22, 2013 7:37 pm

I don't have one and am not in line for one (yet) but if I had to guess, I would say it's a distribution issue, not a Production problem as people are getting them here or there.

Most manufacturers sell direct to the likes of Sweetwater or the larger retailers but smaller shop, specially international (Canada included) have to buy through a reseller. Geoff Farr distributes the Oberheim gear and I've been waiting for that for about 2 years now. I could be wrong (don't know how Moog operates in this regard) but if it's anything like the Minitaur, a) production line is lean and mean [it's engineered for rapid assembly and minimal touch/calibration, etc] but b) even with a record number of units coming off the line per week, there will still be a shortage.

You should call some U.S. based retailers (if you haven't already done so) just to see if they can give you an ETA if you ordered one today.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Trisfx

Post by Trisfx » Wed May 22, 2013 7:48 pm

I also ordered a sub phatty first week of march , also in MTL ( at MoogAudio) and they told me that I would probably get it end march/april....now i read some late september shipping.. I hope it will arrives soon!
Tx for all the info about retailers..
That was my first post :)
Cheers all!

subb

Post by subb » Wed May 22, 2013 11:32 pm

@Howard Yes, maybe, but in that case, why all the false estimates? If you have a steady production, heavy backlog or not, you should be able to give precise estimates.

@EMwhite That's a possibility. The only store in Canada that have them "in stock" is Long & McQuade. They only have probably one or two of them in 4 or 5 store across the country and the guy told me that they are usually opened (for demo I suppose...). Anyway I've contacted the canadian distributor directly and I'm waiting for a response. Oh and, with U.S. retailers, most of them prevent me from shipping to Canada.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu May 23, 2013 9:45 am

If you look on (US) eBay right now, there are four outfits shipping free with a handful in stock; but yeah, United States shipping only.

Maybe contact them via eBay and ask if they will ship to you if you cover all costs, One may say yes; these are smaller outfits. But there could be some dealer issue where Moog prohibits registered dealers from undercutting each other when playing field is not level (e.g. Canadian companies must pay tariff or maybe exchange rate figures in) while you might be able to squeeze a package across the boarder depending on shipper. Don't know.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

subb

Post by subb » Thu May 23, 2013 1:35 pm

Ok so I got a reply from the canadian distributor. They told me that they didn't receive any (!) Sub Phatty since the launch and that Moog keep pushing their estimates. They hope to receive some by the end of June!
Jeez...

So, production problems or Moog are keeping them for themselves? We're re all the Sub Phatty?

Fantastca

Post by Fantastca » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:15 am

This is ridiculous. The June is almost over and it's impossible to buy the Sub Phatty here in the United Kingdom!!!

What is wrong..
Moog Sub Phatty (firmware 2.1.12 beta, editor 1.1.0) | Ableton Live 9.7 | macOS Sierra 10.12.3

JohnWynberg

Post by JohnWynberg » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:09 am

Fantastca wrote:This is ridiculous. The June is almost over and it's impossible to buy the Sub Phatty here in the United Kingdom!!!

What is wrong..
Don't give up. Keep an eye around. They come and go very quickly. After speaking to a few suppliers, I had given up any hopes of getting one until September, so I decided to try modular. A few weeks later, I found Rubadud had just got some. No pre-orders or waiting lists. So I bought one right away. I know waiting can be very annoying, but don't give up. Also, keep in mind they're not produced by the thousands in China.

IgorCristo

Post by IgorCristo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:57 am

Just got mine in Brazil! Imported from US though... :)
Took almost a month to get here, but it did. Now I'm having a good time with it!
What a beautiful little synth! Giant sound!!!
Moog Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition and Little Phatty Stage II | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm | Mutable Instruments Ambika | Korg Minilogue

subb

Post by subb » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:08 pm

This is indeed insanely ridiculous. It's still on pre-order on all major online retailers that I know. No canadian store in my province have received a single one.

I'll check back with the canadian distributor.

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:52 am

@Subb & Trisfx
Oh Canada!!! Bonjour! Sad but true ~ our local dealers and distributors can keep us waiting FOREVER, esp. L&M, who wanted me to wait 3 MONTHS for a Voyager and that was at least 5 or 6 years after the Voyagers had been in production, and were plenty of them around. So it might likely be even LONGER for the SubPhatty :x
Personally, I drove down to Buffalo to pick mine up — but if you are looking for someone to ship a Sub Phatty to you might try Switched On in Austin, Texas or maybe Analogue Haven in California? — both of them are great ~ and have shipped me things directly here to Toronto without hassle very quickly and very reasonably.
Good Luck!!! :D
---
EMwhite wrote:Geoff Farr distributes the Oberheim gear
Sweetwater sells Obie now, too —Highly recommended. even though they can't always ship everything to Canada directly :wink:
Howard Scarr wrote:BTW the Sub is the first Moog in decades that piqued my interest.
Gee, I love my SubPhatty, too... but MORE than the Voyager? DIngo Got my baby...is that a "Sophie's Choice" or what?
After reading this and similar comments from a friend in the UK lately, makes me think Voyagers must be even more scarce (and more expensive!) on the other side of the ocean.
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

breun

Post by breun » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:06 pm

I've been waiting for over two months now for the one I ordered in The Netherlands... :(

subb

Post by subb » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:36 am

@misterpete

Did you pay any duties/taxes when you came back to Canada?

barryfell

Post by barryfell » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:39 am

JohnWynberg wrote:
Fantastca wrote:This is ridiculous. The June is almost over and it's impossible to buy the Sub Phatty here in the United Kingdom!!!

What is wrong..
Don't give up. Keep an eye around. They come and go very quickly. After speaking to a few suppliers, I had given up any hopes of getting one until September, so I decided to try modular. A few weeks later, I found Rubadud had just got some. No pre-orders or waiting lists. So I bought one right away. I know waiting can be very annoying, but don't give up. Also, keep in mind they're not produced by the thousands in China.
I'm in the UK and got one from Absolute Music about 3 weeks ago. Plus i've seen Juno get them in twice since. They just seem to get sold very quickly.

Fantastca - I recommend setting up email notifications on any sites you can to alert you of stock since they sell out so quickly.