Sub Phatty and Little Phatty

Everything Sub.
Aekay

Sub Phatty and Little Phatty

Post by Aekay » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:10 pm

I am currently in a position where I have been saving for AGES to finally get some analogue synths added to me studio, and I was looking into buying a Sub Phatty and Little Phatty stage 2. From whay I understand the Sub produces some mean bass tones however, can the Little produce the same/similar sounds? Or would buying the Little and a Minitaur be a better option? Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. It is a nice dilemma to have but it is none the less still a dilemma haha.

Thanks!

IgorCristo

Re: Sub Phatty and Little Phatty

Post by IgorCristo » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:19 pm

I think that Sub + Minitaur is a better option. The Sub miss some things from Little, but the hands on controls can't be compared. I have a Little and love it! You'll be happy with any of them!

With the Sub you have the sub-oscillator + noise, 3 LFO destinations simultaneously, more distortion, external in mixer level, note sync (wich is great for solid bass sounds!!). You loose 1 keyboard octave, arpeggio, light feedback (wich is a good tool for learning), OSC2 as a modulation source (it creates a very special sound...).

I think it's really a matter of what you really want. They're 2 different beasts... different enough that I'm now waiting for my Sub!! :D

Cheers!!!
Moog Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition and Little Phatty Stage II | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm | Mutable Instruments Ambika | Korg Minilogue

dswo

Post by dswo » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:55 pm

That's good advice. I would start with one of the Phatties and see what it does.* Take some time and get to know each other. If you decide, later, that you need a second Moog, look at the Minitaur. Or, you might find that you want a different sound altogether -- in which case, I would look at the Mopho family from Dave Smith Instruments.

*I think the hardest thing, at this point, is going to be figuring out which Phatty. The Little Phatty has been out long enough that you can get a feel for its range by watching YouTube. That's not true (yet) for the Sub Phatty. The videos that are out there so far emphasize what's new about the sound and take for granted what's old. I'm sure that will change soon, now that more units are in the wild. Meanwhile, see http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19238.
David Wilson-Okamura

kingfriday

Post by kingfriday » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:38 pm

I can't say enough good things about the Sub Phatty. I owned a Little Phatty Stage II and loved the hell out of it, but since getting the Sub I haven't looked back. The Sub just speaks to me. I think the two things that really put it over the top for me are the knob-per-function(ish) interface and the brighter, more upfront sound. That's just me, though. To each their own.