Desktop version of the Sub Phatty?

Everything Sub.
anselmi

Re: Desktop version of the Sub Phatty?

Post by anselmi » Sun May 05, 2013 11:51 pm

Box wrote:They could call it the 12" Sub. :P 25 keys is kind of limiting, even for mono lead and bass work
if you think you need more than 2 octaves for basslines then you´re doing something wrong... :mrgreen:
or you are like this 6-strings bass guitar players...you are simply showing off :lol:

Box

Post by Box » Mon May 06, 2013 2:00 am

When I'm doing strictly bass I like to extend out over a 3 octave range and use the third octave as accent notes. I like really intricate bass-lines, and to do such it takes both bands. Aside from that 2 octaves would be fine, as I'd just be using my left hand to play simpler bass parts. Though with playing lead 3 octaves is really needed, but careful use of the octave buttons takes care of it. Though if my left hand is already occupied with playing bass, then I have a problem. Again, I already have 4 other boards with 61 keys. Not the total end of the world. I find the 1 less octave a fair enough trade out for all of the hands on control you get.

cyclops

Post by cyclops » Tue May 07, 2013 8:49 am

+1 for Desktop version

mico

Post by mico » Tue May 07, 2013 6:27 pm

If (or when) a desktop/rackmount version of the Sub Phatty surfaces will be far from this point in time. Consider Moog's release sequences for other desktop/rackmount versions of their hardware and you'll notice a faint pattern, albeit not quite consistent.
Moog Sub 37 (#0133), Ibanez M80M, & Doomy Bow
MF-102 • MF-103 • MF-105m • KE Kommander • MHI B:a (Germ. w/EQ mod) • Strymon Timeline
Previous: Model D, Taurus, Taurus III, Little Phatty SE II (Solar Edition w/CV Out mod), Sub Phatty

enossified

Post by enossified » Wed May 29, 2013 4:44 pm

anselmi wrote: you are like this 6-strings bass guitar players...you are simply showing off :lol:
My four string basses cover three octaves :wink:

You only get two octaves on the SubP going from C to C. What if you're playing in other keys?

dswo

Post by dswo » Wed May 29, 2013 5:12 pm

enossified wrote:What if you're playing in other keys?
There's nothing wrong with wanting this synth with a bigger keyboard, or without the keyboard altogether. But...

a. The Sub Phatty can transpose note input by the interval you select; see p. 26 in the online manual.

b. You can always use another keyboard.
David Wilson-Okamura

Nillerbabs

Post by Nillerbabs » Thu May 30, 2013 3:47 pm

Bring it. Not only do I want a module, I need it. The decision to give the Sub Phatty a 2 octave keyboard, making it either a poor performance keyboard or a too big module, was pretty odd. They need to take away those keys and retain the audio chain, make it smaller and more lightweight, and BOOM - there you have it.

Box

Post by Box » Thu May 30, 2013 5:09 pm

And based on the prices of the Little and Slim the Sub module would be around the cost of the Minitaur. Perhaps that's another reason as well. Who would want to buy a Minitaur when a Sub module would be better? I say just want for the Sub Phatty used market to come into being, that's what I'm doing.

T7

Post by T7 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:49 pm

I'm holding off on buying a Sub Phatty until this is out. 8)

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:11 am

it already is pretty tiny!
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:49 pm

misterpete wrote:it already is pretty tiny!
Yeah, but in this case, those of us wanting a rackmounted Sub want to be able to use a larger keyboard. :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:17 am

You can still use a larger keyboard, but unlike the Slim & Little ~ a lot of the SUB phatty "knobs" are actually button & keyboard key combinations
if you look at the 'cheat sheet' or 'hidden parameters' section of the manual you'll see what I mean

I would like to see a Controller Map diagram similar to the Voyager/ Taurus pdf on Knob Tweak
that shows which Voyager (or XL) knob maps to which Sub Phatty parameters
Voltor07 wrote:
misterpete wrote:it already is pretty tiny!
Yeah, but in this case, those of us wanting a rackmounted Sub want to be able to use a larger keyboard. :lol:
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

skottieb

Post by skottieb » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:36 am

I like the idea of a desk/rack module simply for adding more voices..

Solum

Post by Solum » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:12 pm

I would buy a Sub Phatty only as a desktop version. The way it is built now is not very useful for alot of small studios. The tiny keyboard does make the unit quite bulky and you need lots of space for it. Further if you already have one or more grown out keyboards that can send Midi why then buy a synth with a strongly limited keyboard as found on the Sub Phatty.
I hope Moog will do the step and bring this cool unit also as a desktop version to stores. Then it would become a no brainer and I would buy one for my studio.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:18 pm

WHAT IF they put three or four Sub Phatties into a case with a 61 key keyboard, ala Oberheim 4 Voice? :shock:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.