Is my Subphatty able to recreate Little Phatty sounds?

Everything Sub.
[email protected]

Re: Is my Subphatty able to recreate Little Phatty sounds?

Post by [email protected] » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:14 pm

I have to say I agree with the statement that the sub phatty sounds a bit more aggressive, and while it still sounds warmer than DCO's, it still isn't quite the same oscillator wise. Another major component is the overdrive/distortion on the filter. I personally like my LP's "Overload" better than the sub phatty's although that could just be because I've spent far more time using the LP and know what I like when it comes to it's overload feature - and still need to find the sweet spots so to speak on the Sub Phatty. I suppose for bass, specifically, I like the Sub Phatty better, and would prefer it over the minitaur. It's oscillators and filter in many ways outdo my mopho, but only for bass (It's important to note that there are sub oscillators on the Mopho. Also if I were to need a heavily modulated bass I'd actually go for the Mopho though. I don't really like the short keyboard either - most of the time it's fine, and it makes up for the short keyboard by it being easier to switch octaves in real time than the LP, but when it comes to using glide, I still very much prefer my LP. Same with leads as well. Also if I were to do a Paraphonic bassline (I intend to, but I need some more cables first), I'd be looking to use the Sub Phatty with the Mopho rather than the LP, but if I were to do the same for a paraphonic lead, I'd rather go with my LP and the Mopho before I went with the LP and the Sub Phatty. I think the Sub Phatty would be awesome to set up paraphonically with a Minitaur (I suppose I'll have to wait until I buy a couple more synths and am in the market for a desktop unit or until a friend has one). On the Sub Phatty, there is also something worth noting. One knob per function. That is huge, but only because on the LP the cutoff and resonance are dedicated to the same knob, making it impossible to adjust both at the same time. This isn't a huge deal while playing the synth, as you only have one hand available for knob twiddling, but if I were using a Slim Phatty or sequencing the part for the LP, it would and is hugely missed. Personally if I were producing dubstep, I might prefer the sub phatty. Since that's a genre I don't do, the advantages for that genre are lost on me. If I could only have one, I'd choose the little phatty. If I were setting the second hand prices for these synths I would make the price for the LP a little higher than that of the Sub Phatty, as I tend to use it more, and the size of the keyboard makes up for the loss of one knob per function. I love moog, but I would have rather they produced a slim phatty with one knob per function, or a Little Phatty with sub oscillators and a separate knob for cutoff and resonance, or better yet a 3 osc version of the LP. Also, the patch storage really is limited on the sub phatty. That being said, I really like the Sub Phatty, I love the sound of it, just as I love the sound of the Little Phatty. Without expectations of what an analog from Moog should sound like, both are awesome synths. I guess it's kind of like expecting a Prophet '08 to sound like a Prophet 5, or a Mopho to sound like a Pro-One. Both synths are well worth their costs, are huge, especially in comparison to DCO synths (although I really like my mopho anyway, and am considering getting a Prophet '08 even though both have DCO's - really the bigger issue with those synths are it's filters, not their oscillators), I do prefer the LP's filter for leads, although not for bass. I also want to point out that parts are going to be available if these synths break down, that there is tech support from the company, that we have access to new analog synths, and that we are very lucky that we have a Moog (and DSI for that matter), and that they are still making analogs. I'm much happier with all of moog's offerings and all of DSI's offerings than the VA stuff out there, certainly far more than Roland's attempt at rebranding their digital synths as Juno's and Jupiters (I think they could rerelease the Jupiter 8 and it would be far better than their Jupiter 80, and probably end up being cheaper, and that these synths are at least designed and assembled in America. If your really worried about the differences in the oscillators and filters between these two synths, that perhaps you should put together a Eurorack modular with all the components you like, buy a vintage and pray it never breaks down on you, or seek out some of the boutique synths out there. God Bless Moog and God Bless America. USA! USA! USA!

ZYKLIFF

Post by ZYKLIFF » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:10 pm

I can't make the same sounds on Sub as I do on Slim/LP. Their distortions are completely different. Very apparently so in the lower regions. It has been said before by Marc Doty ( :!: ) The LP has a "more pointed sound" than the Sub Phatty. Now in mi own words, is in its own way, more aggressive. I do have both, and I am not experiencing a deal of overlap in sounds/timbres.

monokit

Post by monokit » Sat May 04, 2013 2:50 am

Wait, you mean the LP is more aggressive than the SubP?

modul8tr

Post by modul8tr » Sat May 04, 2013 4:07 am

I don't know, the Sub Phatty so far in my experience can get quite aggressive. I think it's best to think of it as different *flavors* of aggression.

Overall it's far more flexible than I thought it would be tone wise. It's capable of a purity of tone reminiscent of the Voyager oscillators. I was floored by this as I have never owned an electronic instrument capable of that. There's also something more immediately organic and animated in the sounds I conjure with it, than what I get with the Little Phatty. Little Phatty is immediately darker, lusher, smudgier, and this character remains even in its overdriven tones.

Between the two synths, the choice of colors on offer are wonderful.

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Tue May 07, 2013 9:29 pm

not in my experience ~ they are both lovely but I don't think the SubPhatty is any less "aggressive" than my SLIM they will both knock it out of the park~ neither of them sounds exactly a Voyager or Minitaur/Taurus either — all the MOOGS sound grrrreat (moogerfoogers and etherwave too!) but each one of them has their own very distinct personality ~ and you really need to spend time with EACH one to get to know it's potential i am really loving the sub phatty now at the moment
monokit wrote:Wait, you mean the LP is more aggressive than the SubP?
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

IgorCristo

Post by IgorCristo » Thu May 09, 2013 12:15 pm

I think Gambrel wrote somethings that aren't exactly the true.... With the LP you CAN use two knobs separately to control cutoff and resonance at the same time, by using the POT MAP function.

I won't discuss the topic's subject... I think both sound different enough to justify my purchase. :)
Moog Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition and Little Phatty Stage II | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm | Mutable Instruments Ambika | Korg Minilogue

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Tue May 14, 2013 1:12 am

Even if i can't verbally describe the difference in the sound of the two Phattys I can certainly hear it!

I have been really digging the Sub Phatty — even more than I expected I would — my biggest complaint is that they should have used white for the lettering on the jacks like they did on the Taurus 3... so you don't have to to dig out your iPhone flashlight every time you want to plug something in.

edit: Can't seem to post the SoundCloud miniplayer version here ~ "SECOND LIFE of RILEY" is a track comparing the sound of the phattys with the sub controlling the slim's arp feeding back into the sub :

SUB PHATTY panned left — SLIM PHATTY panned right
eurorack modular BOX dead zero centred. live one pass recording

from THE NINE LIVES OF RILEY
written & recorded May 2013
PETE DAKO © SOCAN 2013

https://soundcloud.com/misterpete/sets/ ... s-of-riley
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

scd

Post by scd » Fri May 17, 2013 6:06 am

After reading this whole thread: can it be that the Sub Phatty actually has DCOs instead of VCOs?
How can the Sub Phatty control the oscillator beating otherwise?

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue May 21, 2013 4:47 pm

scd wrote:After reading this whole thread: can it be that the Sub Phatty actually has DCOs instead of VCOs?
How can the Sub Phatty control the oscillator beating otherwise?
NO. It cannot be. :D The Sub controls the oscillator beating by having very stable and well-calibrated VCOs, and by having a firmware function that calculates linear pitch-CV offset (for beat frequency) in additional to the usual exponential conversion (for musical pitch).

mrboxxed

Post by mrboxxed » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:29 am

So torn on which one to pick up. Slim or Sub.
This is a great discussion, loving everyone's input.
I own a Minitaur and its very limited, I've been sequencing it with mp mpc or oberkorn. I'd like to team it up with either the Slim or Sub both have pluses and are diferent...

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:52 pm

I'd go for the SubP if I was you. You get that sweet vintage Moog sound and more knobs. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

amos922

Post by amos922 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:58 pm

I own them both and like each equally as good but for different reasons. I Would say figure out which one you will get the most use out of. The little phatty has more of a "warm analog" feel to it, the sub-phatty is more gritty and best suited for gritty baselines and screaming leads! Both equally as good but for different reasons! Good luck

sp00ge

Post by sp00ge » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:56 pm

mrboxxed wrote:So torn on which one to pick up. Slim or Sub.
This is a great discussion, loving everyone's input.
I own a Minitaur and its very limited, I've been sequencing it with mp mpc or oberkorn. I'd like to team it up with either the Slim or Sub both have pluses and are diferent...
Sub vs LP
The Sub oscillators are similar to the Minitaur in that they are very stable and yet can be quite warm and 'analog' sounding by making use of the same features that the Minitaur has...VCO Beat, OSC tuning and LFO modulation. Unlike the LP, the Sub has a wide range of pure tones that can be generated simply by adjusting the Oscillator/Noise Volume knobs and the multidrive knob...from clean and warm to dirty and cold. Oscillator volume balance is key to sound creation on the Sub. The under the hood features are very comprehensive and overall the Sub has a more flexible sound design engine then the LP. Workflow on the Sub is also faster and more efficient once you master the alternate functions and/or utilize the decent software plugin/standalone...the LP software is pretty poor and menu diving is tedious. The one thing I miss about the SP is the Overdrive which IMO is much more tasteful for sound processing then the Multidrive...however you can get a wider array of sounds using the Multidrive.

I own a Minitaur and traded my Slim Phatty for a Sub, so my point of view is based upon my personal use of these instruments. The Minitaur will complement either unit well. In fact you many appreciate the Minitaur more so, once you have a LP or Sub alongside it. The Taurus tone is unique. Overall I find the Sub to be a more useful product but if I had unlimited funds I could see adding an SP back into my setup for certain uses.