SubPhatty+Minitaur+SlimPhatty MIDI

Everything Sub.
madeinfoam

SubPhatty+Minitaur+SlimPhatty MIDI

Post by madeinfoam » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:40 am

Hi,

I have these 3 synths hooked up as external instruments in Logic and I would like to control and automate each one and its knobs individually for each synth... I cant seem to get it to work.

Either one of the synths (the one with USB MIDI plugged in) is always acting as a master and when I turn the filter cutoff or other knobs and buttons it controls the other 2 synths as well.

I dont have a multi midi interface and not sure if it has anything to do with midi channels... is that what i need?

Thanks!

Stuka

Re: SubPhatty+Minitaur+SlimPhatty MIDI

Post by Stuka » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:13 am

Not sure how you have everything connected now, but all three synths have USB MIDI connections.
If you plug each of them in to your computer via USB, they should each be addressable as individual synths under Logic.

If you're daisy-chaining using the MIDI DIN connections, then by default the master synth (SubPhatty?) is going to send MIDI control signals on the same channels as the other synths, and each synth in the chain should respond. (I believe all the current Moog synths default to MIDI channel 1). You can set a different MIDI channel for each synth (see the respective owner's manual), and you'll also need to take a look at the default MIDI routing that is enabled for the synth that is connected via USB ~ there might be different options available that specify how MIDI data via the USB port is routed internally to the DIN ports. (again, reference the owner's manual for that particular synth)
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

Amos

Re: SubPhatty+Minitaur+SlimPhatty MIDI

Post by Amos » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:57 am

madeinfoam wrote: not sure if it has anything to do with midi channels... is that what i need?

Thanks!
Yes it has everything to do with MIDI channels... if you turn a knob on one synth and the others respond, then they are all getting the same MIDI messages. That's fine if you want them all slaved together, which sometimes you might want. If you want them to all act independently, you can set each synth to a different MIDI channel. Then in Logic, set up each synth's track to use the MIDI channel you assigned to that synth. One synth per MIDI channel, one MIDI channel per synth. Then they won't interact with each other but Logic will be able to control all of them.