Computer: 3.4ghz i7 Quad core, 24gb Ram,
Soundcard : Focusrite Saffire 56
DAW: Studio One 64 Bit
Plugins : Too Many to say
Hardware: Moog Model D, Access Virus Ti2 Keyboard

mico

Re: Sub Phatty post-release firmware v1.1.8

Post by mico » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:19 pm

Can someone explain to me how the filter aftertouch works? I've yet to update to v1.1.8 yet, but my curiosity is insistent.
Moog Sub 37 (#0133), Ibanez M80M, & Doomy Bow
MF-102 • MF-103 • MF-105m • KE Kommander • MHI B:a (Germ. w/EQ mod) • Strymon Timeline
Previous: Model D, Taurus, Taurus III, Little Phatty SE II (Solar Edition w/CV Out mod), Sub Phatty

marty

Post by marty » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:47 am

Mico,

I believe the Subby will receive aftertouch over MIDI, as far as I can tell its destination is always filter cutoff. The hidden parameter scales this modulation like an attenuator. Haven't tried it out yet, maybe later today.

Marty

CleverConQueso

Post by CleverConQueso » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:56 pm

Hello-
I've got a helpdesk ticket in but figure I'd post something here since it looks like Chih-Yu and I are experiencing similar issues. I started with the GA firmware and upgraded to .8 a few days ago.
1) I think default knob behavior is supposed to be 'relative' however it looks like as delivered and after a reset to defaults or firmware update it's actually set to 'jump'. It's not hard to change but is confusing.
2) When connecting my Phatty to either a DAW (USB) or an Electribe (DIN) the panel knobs will stop responding after a time. I can and do filter out everything but note information at the source side but still see the same behavior. You have to reboot to clear it. This is actually holding me back a bit ATM.
Thanks for posting the one-page chart of function keys. I was about to make one when I found it. Maybe posting it under downloads on the Phatty's page at moogmusic.com?
Thanks,
-CCQ-

marty

Post by marty » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:40 pm

Hey Mico, aftertouch from my Casio CZ-1 to Sub Phatty filter cutoff worked as advertised. Pretty sweet feature, thanks Amos. Like keyboard tracking for the LFO rate, it would be cool if you could invert this mod.

mico

Post by mico » Wed May 01, 2013 12:20 am

marty wrote:Hey Mico, aftertouch from my Casio CZ-1 to Sub Phatty filter cutoff worked as advertised. Pretty sweet feature, thanks Amos. Like keyboard tracking for the LFO rate, it would be cool if you could invert this mod.
So I *must* attach an additional keyboard in order this to work? Bloody Hades, I just sold my MiniBrute too.
MF-102 • MF-103 • MF-105m • KE Kommander • MHI B:a (Germ. w/EQ mod) • Strymon Timeline
Previous: Model D, Taurus, Taurus III, Little Phatty SE II (Solar Edition w/CV Out mod), Sub Phatty

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Wed May 01, 2013 9:12 am

YAY!!! just registered last night taking a minute to post first thoughts:

I LOVE the SubPhatty ~ it is so か わ い い «KAWAII» as they say in japan - like a Taurus 3 you can curl up with ~ it just feels lovely and inviting. Sure it was great playing it at NAMM and elsewhere beforehand — but I brought #00726 home yesterday* afternoon and now I am truly in LOVE [*thank you moog people, and sweetwater too!!!]

————
promise to rtfm** now~ will dig in today up til now i haven't even taken it into the studio to record as is my usual habit just been playing and thrilling to the gorgeous sound, look, touch and feel

——
mico wrote:I just sold my MiniBrute too.
bummer! I just picked a mint MiniBrute up for $300 on craigslist a few weeks ago~ it's brilliant and a great complement to Moog's filters and feature sets!

My first SUB-PHATTY FW update request would be to hardwire a command like the PANIC buttons to reverse the direction CV in thje I/O panel in order to use the Sub to bypass MIDI to control older analog gear, Eurorack modules, patchpoint SEM
I am kind of expecting to see CV mapping in the Editor but having this specific functionality accessible without relying on the editor would very useful as well. [** forgive me if the first request is already possible - because yes no but - i HAVE NOT not rtfm]

I do use the MiniB in this fashion - also ARP and Future Retro REVOLUTION which also has midi out — but the extra CV outs is a great way to expand functionality in a multitude of ways :D
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

mico

Post by mico » Wed May 01, 2013 2:30 pm

misterpete wrote: I LOVE the SubPhatty ~ it is so か わ い い «KAWAII» as they say in japan.
かわいい。(kawaii) means cute, just to clarify. The way I see (and most importantly use) the Sub Phatty is far from cute. Hahaha.

As per the MiniBrute, I don't really miss it. I did for a little bit, but it wasn't going to do what I wanted it to do with the Sub Phatty. A shame really, considering that filter was indeed quite gnarly.

I'd love to see being able to reverse the CV jacks from input to output, when need arises. I believe the Minitaur, the only Moog I've yet to own, does something like this since revision deuce.

I'm still not particularly fond of the idea of having to buy a MIDI controller to use the filter aftertouch. The aftertouch of the MiniBrute was one of the key reasons I bought it initially and is, frankly, the only other thing (aside the filter) that I miss about it.
Last edited by mico on Thu May 02, 2013 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Wed May 01, 2013 4:16 pm

Yes, exactly what I meant ...i think the Sub Phatty is totally cute ~ very tactile machine not intimidating at all
though not so much at somebody else's place... you have to bring one home to experience it :D

minitaur's rev 2 has cv mapping through it's editor which means you need a computer hooked up to use it~ but it IS a really amazing software and hardware team — looking forward to the sub phatty equivalent

as far as i am concerned they are all pieces of a system like Synthesizer Expander Modules for eachother

much like the jigsaw puzzle that ships inside the phatty box — or the Frito Lay's motto:
Bet You Can't Have/Eat Just One...

i used the xl as controller on the subby just now am about to plug the Revolution into the Sub and the modulars for some more fun ~ i guess will do the FW update first now, though
mico wrote:
misterpete wrote: I LOVE the SubPhatty ~ it is so か わ い い «KAWAII» as they say in japan.
かわいい。(kawaii) means cute, just to clarify. The way I see (and most importantly use) the Sub Phatty is far from cute. Hahaha.

As per the MiniBrute, I don't really miss it. I did for a little bit, but it wasn't going to do what I wanted it to do with the Sub Phatty. A shame really, considering that filter was indeed quite gnarly.

I'd love to see being able to reverse the CV jacks from input to output, when need arises. I believe the Minitaur, the only Moog I've yet town, does something like this since revision deuce.

I'm still not particularly fond of the idea of having to buy a MIDI controller to use the filter aftertouch. The aftertouch of the MiniBrute was one of the key reasons I bought it initially and is, frankly, the only other thing (aside the filter) that I miss about it.
PS: the MiniBrute is much more than the (albiet very nice) filters — it's SLIDERS and arpeggiator and 3.5 jack semi modular friendly and has a very good sound of it's own IMHO
Please Call Me, PETE

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed May 01, 2013 9:01 pm

New version up! This one fixes all those pesky "thus and such stopped working after an hour or so" type bugs.

http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/ph ... _1_2_1.syx

Relative mode is now actually the default knob mode, now that it's working properly...

still the odd tweak or two more to do before we release the editor... let me know if you still have any unfixed bugs you know about that are happening in this version... thanks!

-Amos

(edit: There was a small bug in firmware v1.2.0;
If you've somehow already installed firmware v1.2.0, then perhaps you've noticed your Osc1 and 2 Wave knobs not working.
Send the following sysex file to your Sub Phatty to fix this, if needed:
http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/ph ... Values.syx)
Last edited by Amos on Wed May 01, 2013 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Wed May 01, 2013 9:42 pm

Oops ~ link seems to be broken...

«Not Found

The requested URL /downloads/phatty/SubPhatty_v178_1_2_1.syx was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the

Amos wrote:New version up! This one fixes all those pesky "thus and such stopped working after an hour or so" type bugs.

http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/ph ... _1_2_1.syx

Relative mode is now actually the default knob mode, now that it's working properly...

still the odd tweak or two more to do before we release the editor... let me know if you still have any unfixed bugs you know about that are happening in this version... thanks!

-Amos
Please Call Me, PETE

Amos

Re: Sub Phatty post-release firmware v1.2.1

Post by Amos » Wed May 01, 2013 10:10 pm

...apparently one has to actually upload files before they can be downloaded. try again, should work now :)

Waza

Post by Waza » Thu May 02, 2013 3:09 am

Thanks Amos will try when i get home today.. :)
Computer: 3.4ghz i7 Quad core, 24gb Ram,
Soundcard : Focusrite Saffire 56
DAW: Studio One 64 Bit
Plugins : Too Many to say
Hardware: Moog Model D, Access Virus Ti2 Keyboard

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Thu May 02, 2013 9:36 am

EXCELLENT ~ Thanks kindly Amos! Got it and I am on it this a.m. ~ thank you and all best! :D
Amos wrote:...apparently one has to actually upload files before they can be downloaded. try again, should work now :)
Please Call Me, PETE

Howard Scarr

Post by Howard Scarr » Thu May 02, 2013 11:46 am

The Sub Phatty editor crashes whenever I click on the "Factory Sounds" folder, but not "Famous Artist Pack" or "User"... until:
BTW I'm running OSX Lion (not mountain)

I saved my Sub Phatty bank to my desktop and moved it into Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Moog Music Inc./Sub Phatty/Presets Library/User. Clicking on the "User" folder in the librarian now also crashes the editor.

Also:
* Unable to name patches
* MASTER volume missing