Sub Phatty

Everything Sub.
krismiller1982

Sub Phatty

Post by krismiller1982 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:36 pm

Damn proud to say I was the first local customer to pick up their Sub Phatty at Sweetwater today - serial #51. The floor demanded I take it out & hook it up on the spot. This lil' guy is a beast!!!!! Now I just need to order 3 more!! :D

PS/ Speaking of multiple Sub Phattys... Is it possible to polychain like the other Phatty's?
Last edited by krismiller1982 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

modul8tr

Re: Sub Phatty

Post by modul8tr » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:10 am

As of two or three weeks ago, Amos mentioned poly chain as a "virtual certainty". It would come after other features are implemented.

It could be in there now actually. Does the manual mention anything?

krismiller1982

Sub Phatty

Post by krismiller1982 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:41 am

Just browsed through the manual. Nothing about poly chains...

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:47 am

Theres a new trademark under the name Little Phatty, which mentions a piece of software.

I'll bet this is a sub phatty software editor.
http://www.trademarkia.com/little-phatty-85867986.html
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

krismiller1982

Post by krismiller1982 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:13 am

Mentions something about a pattern generator :D Call me lazy, but I cant wait for the editor software. Pressing multiple buttons to modify under the hood settings is kinda annoying.... But overall I'm really excited about this amazing synth!!!

mico

Post by mico » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:17 pm

I'm thoroughly enjoying mine as well. I kind of wish the physical manual had the hidden parameters section filled, but I guess Moog was using foresight in directing people to the online manual, considering it can be updated periodically.

Now, if only I can figure out how to synthesize a Taurus-esque patch, I'd be in heaven.

The harmonic content of these oscillators is truly unique.

I really hope they implement an arpeggiator...somehow.
Moog Sub 37 (#0133), Ibanez M80M, & Doomy Bow
MF-102 • MF-103 • MF-105m • KE Kommander • MHI B:a (Germ. w/EQ mod) • Strymon Timeline
Previous: Model D, Taurus, Taurus III, Little Phatty SE II (Solar Edition w/CV Out mod), Sub Phatty

monokit

Post by monokit » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:20 am

Congratulations! And damn...we in Europe have to wait until April...

Did you try the old Minimoog Feedback trick in addition to the built in Overdrive Feedback?

Waza

Post by Waza » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:20 am

yeah roll on April and oh congrats, how are you enjoying your Sub.
Computer: 3.4ghz i7 Quad core, 24gb Ram,
Soundcard : Focusrite Saffire 56
DAW: Studio One 64 Bit
Plugins : Too Many to say
Hardware: Moog Model D, Access Virus Ti2 Keyboard

mico

Post by mico » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:16 pm

monokit wrote:Congratulations! And damn...we in Europe have to wait until April...

Did you try the old Minimoog Feedback trick in addition to the built in Overdrive Feedback?
The headphone output through external audio input? I can neither say I have nor really have the urge to (and I synthesize really grimy sounds).

You gotta remember, the Sub Phatty has OTA and FET distortion. You begin to overdrive the oscillators after about 12 o'clock pre-filter and then can add more distortion post-filter with the new Multridrive parameter.
MF-102 • MF-103 • MF-105m • KE Kommander • MHI B:a (Germ. w/EQ mod) • Strymon Timeline
Previous: Model D, Taurus, Taurus III, Little Phatty SE II (Solar Edition w/CV Out mod), Sub Phatty

monokit

Post by monokit » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:31 am

I know, i am just curious how it sounds when you put on top this trick. Despite the fact that you dont use grime sounds. Just to test. :wink: Ok ill try that with mine in April.

mico

Post by mico » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:24 pm

monokit wrote:I know, i am just curious how it sounds when you put on top this trick. Despite the fact that you dont use grime sounds. Just to test. :wink: Ok ill try that with mine in April.
Actually, I believe you misread. I synthesize *really* grimy sounds, almost exclusively. ;)

monokit

Post by monokit » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:15 am

lol...yes i misread, sorry pal.

IgorCristo

Post by IgorCristo » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:53 pm

@mico
Hi! I'm a proud Little Phatty owner and I'll also be the owner of a Sub Phatty very soon.

I'm currently searching for audio/video demonstrations and heard/saw every AutomicGainsay's YouTube videos... the first impression I have is that the oscillators sound quite different if compared to Slim/Little ones(I think this is a positive thing)... BUT, couldn't really compare it's filter though.

I'm wondering how different it is from my current Phatty... can you comment anything?

Either way, I'm going to have both! I love the new and the old look and the differences I know of are just enough for me to justify buying it.

Cheers!
Moog Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition and Little Phatty Stage II | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm | Mutable Instruments Ambika | Korg Minilogue

lauerjerermy

Post by lauerjerermy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:02 am

I am new to this so have a beginner's question..
I understand that the Sub Phatty is monophonic (one note) but it accepts external audio as MIDI etc.
So does this mean I can port one channel of external audio (i.e. mono) into the Sub Phatty, regardless of the nature of the source (mono, poly)? And then modulate the external audio with the Sub Phatty oscillators and filters?

IgorCristo

Post by IgorCristo » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:17 pm

@lauerjerermy
Yes, you can use the Sub Phatty to modulate an external POLYPHONIC source (in mono). The thing is that you can't use it's oscillators to modulate the external source..... but you can run it into the filter and have a lot of fun! Believe me, it is a very fun thing to have!!
Moog Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition and Little Phatty Stage II | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm | Mutable Instruments Ambika | Korg Minilogue