Little Phatty + Sub Phatty

Everything Sub.
IgorCristo

Little Phatty + Sub Phatty

Post by IgorCristo » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:34 am

Hi! I'm a very satisfied Little Phatty owner and I'm looking for a company to it. Right now I'm choosing between 2 Moog equipments: Minitaur and Sub Phatty.

I know that anyone here have really played a lot with the Sub Phatty, but I like it's interface and different sound. Does it make sense to have the Little and Sub together???

The thing is that in my country these things are pretty expensive, and the difference in price between them is not gigantic... the other thing is that I'm going to the US next year and certainly will buy something... maybe the Minitaur will be easier to bring with me in my hand (since in Brazil they steal somethings from the luggage).

I hear that the Sub's oscillators are very similar to the Minitaur's and have Note Sync. Please help me!! I'm almost buying the Minitaur and need this answer fast!
Moog Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition and Little Phatty Stage II | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm | Mutable Instruments Ambika | Korg Minilogue

modul8tr

Re: Little Phatty + Sub Phatty

Post by modul8tr » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:35 pm

This is a setup I'm actively researching. The Little Phatty has a sound I love, and before NAMM was the instrument I was going to buy. After NAMM I was going to get the Sub Phatty only as I thought it was basically a new Little Phatty with added features, but now I feel it really is a different instrument sonically to the Little Phatty. The Sub Phatty still has sounds/abilities that will be quite useful to me and I'm now deciding between it and a handful of German synths. I also considered and almost bought a Voyager Performer, but decided again that the sound was lovely, but different from what I'm looking for. So I got a DSI Poly Evolver to fill the mega synth spot.

If you're looking for bass only then the Minitaur is a no brainer, and cheaper than the Sub. If you want a full range synth with wonderful modulation, a sub osc, noise osc, and wonderful distortion capabilities, I'd say get the Sub Phatty. If there's too much overlap you can always sell it.

I just bought the Little Phatty and now I'm deciding between a Sub Phatty, an Analogue Solutions Leipzig K, an MFB Synth II, or MFB Dominion X.

The wild card for me, is the SCI Prophet 600. Maybe even a DSI TETRA, which has two sub oscillators per voice. So again, if you're looking for bass, that will do it!

Just mentioning these as other options, if you're looking for synths in the same price range (btw the leipzig s is cheaper than the keyboard version, unless you get it used, where I've seen it go for around $1000 US).

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:46 am

The Sub Phatty sounds NOTHING like the Little Phatty. The oscillators are more stable and grittier, the filter is beefier. It's like a cross between a Little Phatty and Minitaur, with the best of both units incorporated with some all new features. If I were you, and I'm not, I'd get the Sub Phatty.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

IgorCristo

Post by IgorCristo » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:48 am

@modul8tr
Thanks! I've searched for these machines you've quoted but is almost impossible to buy here. The Tetra was my initial choice, but I'm planning to get a Prophet 08 next year...
As you've said, if I get a lot of overlap, wich I don't think will be a problem, I just sell it easiest than a Minitaur! :)

@Voltor07
Thank you once again for helping me. You always answer my questions. As above, I'll get the Sub Phatty. I recebem the same opinion about it in other forums I visit. I'm still not sure if I can get the same punch in the low range as the Minitaur, but I guess it will be a good partner to my LP.

Thanks guys!!
Moog Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition and Little Phatty Stage II | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm | Mutable Instruments Ambika | Korg Minilogue