Moog SUB PHATTY

Everything Sub.
Stuka

Moog SUB PHATTY

Post by Stuka » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:20 pm

Since the name & preorder options are now "official", I figured it would be worth giving the new SUB PHATTY its own thread! :)

Most of the Moog website sound & video demos don't really do it justice, IMHO.
The real exception to that is the Sweetwater video demo -
Daniel Fisher does a great job of putting the SUB PHATTY through its paces, and really demonstrates it's capabilities & sound range!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... _kiqQpiVjE

Size-wise, it's perfect for those of us with limited space who don't really have room to add another mid or full-size keyboard!

I'm in...monophonic limitations and all!! 8)
(With the range it's got, should go great with the Minitaur! :wink: )

Related forum discussions are here:
http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16702
http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16723
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

ricknboogie

Re: Moog SUB PHATTY

Post by ricknboogie » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:59 pm

It looks great, the demo's (so far) sound great. People were talking about selling their Little Phatty's to buy this. That's the last thing I'd do. They might well make a nice pair, but I don't thinking trading one for the other is a move up. I only just figured out how to navigate the LP's master menu section, and that alone has turned my Phatty into a brand new synth again. Not going to pre-order, but when they hit the stores, I think I'm in too.

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:21 pm

I'll start posting to this thread instead of the "prototype" one because I do like appropriately titled threads. 8)

The Demon Dan video is great. I could see myself getting one and using it as a module, playing it over MIDI from my Korg or Nord keyboards

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:52 pm

Sub Phatty gets a stamp of approval from me (not that it's worth anything). Wish I had some extra cash to fork out for it. No way am I gonna sell my Voyager though.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:16 pm

Sounds sick with the delay. The sound of this thing is no joke, I think maybe the best sounding modern moog. Hopefully they will make an XL version.

muksys

Post by muksys » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:39 pm

strictly cosmetic, but I haven't noticed the pitch & mod wheels illuminated. Not that I wont throw a some LED's on some perf board, but it seems like that would really only add about $1 to the overall cost.

Oh, and I got in line on the pre-order. cannot wait! Funny, after I ordered it, the sales rep at sweetwater called and said as soon as he saw it announced this morning he thought of me. Maybe I need to take a break on buying gear :P

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:08 am

I think I'm in! :roll:

Despite having a small fleet of original phattys (3-voice poly-chain), I'm keen on using this as a more compact/take-out-of-the-studio-often synth (with it's own unique abilities and tones of course!) - leaving the Little Phatty in the studio, intact for controlling the poly-chain more.

16 Presets is a nice number to me! Not enough to warrant a screen (and I like the simplicity of the grid of bank/patch buttons), but enough to decently aid live use. :D

I'm tempted to replace my Minitaur's 2-octave MIDI controller (Akai MPK25) with the Sub Phatty, for; control of itself, control of the Minitaur, or both synths at once. The only downside I see to that setup, is possibly not being able to send MIDI CC Messages to the Minitaur to access it's useful under-the-hood functions (trigger modes, note sync etc.) without a computer. Does the Sub Phatty look like it can send MIDI CC Messages at all?

If not, perhaps I could incorperate the Kaoss Pad 3 or another device into the MIDI chain.

I was also wondering if the Sub Phatty's pitch bend amount setting would override the Minitaur's pitch bend amount setting, or however that works..

Either way, I'm excited about this synth - the fleet looks to be gaining a new vessel!

David.
NZ
Last edited by David Smyth on Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:50 am

David Smyth wrote:...
16 Presets is a nice number to me! Not enough to warrant a screen (and I like the simplicity of the grid of bank/patch buttons), but enough to decently aid live use. :D

I'm tempted to replace my Minitaur's 2-octave midi controller (Akai MPK25) with the Sub Phatty, for; control of itself, control of the Minitaur, or both synths at once. The only downside I see to that setup, is possibly not being able to send CC Messages to the Minitaur to access it's useful under-the-hood functions (trigger modes, note sync etc.) without a computer. Does the Sub Phatty look like it can send CC Messages at all?

If not, perhaps I could incorperate the Kaoss Pad 3 or another device into the midi chain.
I'm with you David ~
I'm also planning a Minitaur + Sub Phatty combo, and should be lots of fun!! :)

As far as handling the "under the hood" MIDI-selectable functions, I plan to use the "MIDI Designer" iPad app and build custom control templates for the Sub Phatty, Minitaur, MIDI MuRF, and Analog Delay (and anything else that shows up in the "studio" that needs some MIDI tweaking):

http://mididesigner.com/

Any other users on here interested in some collaborative effort on some templates?

I think there will be plenty to keep me occupied in the studio for a while!! 8)
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:07 am

Stuka wrote:As far as handling the "under the hood" MIDI-selectable functions, I plan to use the "MIDI Designer" iPad app and build custom control templates for the Sub Phatty, Minitaur, MIDI MuRF, and Analog Delay (and anything else that shows up in the "studio" that needs some MIDI tweaking):

http://mididesigner.com/

Any other users on here interested in some collaborative effort on some templates?
Good idea - an iPad seems like it'd be the perfect MIDI/under-the-hood control panel!

Damn, now I want one! :lol:
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107

IgorCristo

Post by IgorCristo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:10 am

At first I thought it was a great piece of hardware. The small print is very appealing to me and the full knobbed interface makes it even better. It has a lot of upgrades, like the noise generator, sub-oscillator, LFO being able to modulate 3 parametes at once...

After hearing all the available content of it, I can say this: I like the sound, but it's not the Phatty's sound I'm used to hear. IMHO the original Phatty sounds better... it's overload is very creamy and not this multidrive sterile sound.

The stability of the oscillators seem like a nice upgrade... it was not a problem for me, since I live in a very very very hot country.

Correct me if I'm wrong about it, but don't you agree with something I've said?

PS: They should've used something else for the interface, instead that "white in your face" thing. Maybe black + yellow?
Moog Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition and Little Phatty Stage II | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm | Mutable Instruments Ambika | Korg Minilogue

Pastoral

Post by Pastoral » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:21 am

Looks fantastic. This is the layout I wish they'd given the LP from the beginning. The silver color scheme gives it a great 60's/70's Radiophonic Workshop vibe. My only wish is that they would've put a high-pass filter switch on it. I'm surprised they didn't, given that they are promoting it as an analog percussion machine, since a high pass is invaluable for drum sounds. Looking forward to it nonetheless....

-Pastoral
Moog Mother 32 System | MF104m | MF105m | MF107 | MF108m | CP251 | Moog Etherwave Theremin | Moog Amplifier

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:07 am

I wonder how soon we'll have access to documentation in the 'Downloads' section?

I'd really like to get hold of the manual and take a peek "under the hood"...

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:30 am

IgorCristo wrote:At first I thought it was a great piece of hardware. The small print is very appealing to me and the full knobbed interface makes it even better. It has a lot of upgrades, like the noise generator, sub-oscillator, LFO being able to modulate 3 parametes at once...

After hearing all the available content of it, I can say this: I like the sound, but it's not the Phatty's sound I'm used to hear. IMHO the original Phatty sounds better... it's overload is very creamy and not this multidrive sterile sound.

The stability of the oscillators seem like a nice upgrade... it was not a problem for me, since I live in a very very very hot country.

Correct me if I'm wrong about it, but don't you agree with something I've said?

PS: They should've used something else for the interface, instead that "white in your face" thing. Maybe black + yellow?

I agree with most of what you said.

My opinion on the 'look' and 'sound' of it, is that Moog is reaching out to appeal to a wider audience now and the over-driven, wave folded, distorted sound is what the 'kids' are after these days. You won't see much of any of the demos playing what I consider the normal Moog timbres except Dan from Sweetwater couldn't help it.

If you are old school, like I am (and I mean OLD in terms of my age), you somehow arrive at something that Keith or Rick sounded like much of the time.

The look certainly grabs attention, especially from Euro (and I mean Euro modular) crowd. I really think that adding a simple CV Pitch and Gate out would have attracted a few more percentiles of the demographic but logistically, WHERE do you put such jacks, etc. Clearly, they are using side panels from Phatty, and maybe even some of the internal components such as the jack board. Cost is the #1 thing for most of us working stiffs and the street price that Sweetwater ran out and advertised of $999 is the NICE price.

I was somewhat concerned that the MS-20 re-issue would be a bit of a threat or distraction but Korg's choice to release is miniature version, was, I think a mistake. This is good for the Sub.

I'm still on the fence on buying one for myself simply because I already have so much gear and really do still like my Tribute Phatty. Still, I'm a fan of this and hope it puts Moog on a bigger map (obviously we are all here because we are already big fans of their work!).
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:20 pm

EMwhite wrote:I really think that adding a simple CV Pitch and Gate out would have attracted a few more percentiles of the demographic but logistically, WHERE do you put such jacks, etc. Clearly, they are using side panels from Phatty, and maybe even some of the internal components such as the jack board. Cost is the #1 thing for most of us working stiffs and the street price that Sweetwater ran out and advertised of $999 is the NICE price.
I'm quite sure the Little Phatty CV out mod will be adaptable on the Sub Phatty.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:53 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote:I'm quite sure the Little Phatty CV out mod will be adaptable on the Sub Phatty.
Maybe. The board is much smaller (re-watch Herb's video and you'll see the entire synth on a board about the size of a minitaur maybe a tad larger). I've opened up Minitaur and my LP Tribute and was near first in line to get CV Mod on the latter; there are literally wires soldered onto surface mounted resistor solder points; now squeeze the LP's board down by 1/3rd (or smaller) and it will be even more difficult to mod as an add-on.

If Moog planned ahead and added header pins that will allow this at a later date, that would be awesome; Maybe a later product will have this as standard, won't know until somebody does some sleuth work.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!