Moog SUB PHATTY

Everything Sub.
IgorCristo

Re: Moog SUB PHATTY

Post by IgorCristo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:44 pm

Thank you Voltor! :)

I've watched almost everything there is about this beautiful synth, and I'm getting more and more excited about it! Really looking forward the day that I'll finally play with it!! Hopefully it'll be soon.

Can anyone here share some experience with it already? I beleave that in US people already got it if pre-ordered. :D
I'd like to hear what you have to say about it's oscillators and filter multidrive in comparison with the Little Phatty.

Moderators: Doesn't this post belong to the Little Phatty section of this forum?

Cheers!
Moog Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition and Little Phatty Stage II | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm | Mutable Instruments Ambika | Korg Minilogue

dswo

Post by dswo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:49 pm

The manual is now online: http://www.moogmusic.com/products/phatt ... nloads-tab. It mentions some new envelope parameters that I wasn't aware of:
  • Delay and hold times for both envelopes, in addition to the standard attack, decay, sustain, and release.
  • Velocity can affect decay/release time for both envelopes. (Looking back, I see this was mentioned earlier, on Muff's Modules forum: http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewto ... 81#1072681.)
Last edited by dswo on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Wilson-Okamura

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:33 am

Pink noise source

Waza

Post by Waza » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:33 am

Hi All new here as I'm seriously considering this as my first dive into Moog. :D
Computer: 3.4ghz i7 Quad core, 24gb Ram,
Soundcard : Focusrite Saffire 56
DAW: Studio One 64 Bit
Plugins : Too Many to say
Hardware: Moog Model D, Access Virus Ti2 Keyboard

Waza

Post by Waza » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:22 pm

Yeah i'm thinking about buying this little beauty.
Computer: 3.4ghz i7 Quad core, 24gb Ram,
Soundcard : Focusrite Saffire 56
DAW: Studio One 64 Bit
Plugins : Too Many to say
Hardware: Moog Model D, Access Virus Ti2 Keyboard

nectarios

Post by nectarios » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:56 pm

So...is there going to be a rack version of the SubPhatty?
Eurorack, 5U, x0xb0x, Moog Slim Phatty, MF-102, MF-103, MF-108, CP-251, Beatstep Pro, Nord Lead 1, NI Maschine, MXR-104, ProCo RAT2, Big Muff π Bass, Logic Pro 9.
http://soundcloud.com/martianarts

modul8tr

Post by modul8tr » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:39 pm

Depends on how well the keyboard version sells. At least that what Amos said.

Assar

Post by Assar » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:51 pm

modul8tr wrote:Depends on how well the keyboard version sells. At least that what Amos said.
If it sells good there will be a rack version cause the Sub Phatty is popular?
or
If it sells bad there will be a rack version cause people are probably waiting for that?
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

dswo

Post by dswo » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:06 pm

A rack would suit me better than 25 keys, but I'm not waiting.
David Wilson-Okamura

modul8tr

Post by modul8tr » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:59 pm

Moog is a small company, so I'm sure the cost of launching a new product is pretty big for them. R&D, marketing costs, manufacturing etc.

I'm guessing they want to release their full blown concept and gauge interest, before pouring more cash into designing a new form factor.

The design wouldn't be as simple as the Slim Phatty, with its four knobs. The Sub Phatty is pretty knobby and would probably be akin to the Voyager RME.

Also, who knows what other new products may be in the pipeline before we get an RME Sub Phatty :wink:

cyclops

Post by cyclops » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:20 pm

Please Moog do a desktop/rack version, it's the only way ill buy one I don't have space for a keyboard

mico

Post by mico » Wed May 01, 2013 2:37 pm

Voltor07 wrote:Yes to rack version! :mrgreen:
I'm not so sold on seeing a rack version be made available. I'd fear that the troubles that plague the Slim Phatty would too plague a rack/desktop version of the Sub Phatty. While this could possibly be not the case, considering the new and ever stable oscillators of the Sub Phatty, I don't doubt that the small enclosure would still lead to some temperature issues.
Moog Sub 37 (#0133), Ibanez M80M, & Doomy Bow
MF-102 • MF-103 • MF-105m • KE Kommander • MHI B:a (Germ. w/EQ mod) • Strymon Timeline
Previous: Model D, Taurus, Taurus III, Little Phatty SE II (Solar Edition w/CV Out mod), Sub Phatty

nectarios

Post by nectarios » Thu May 02, 2013 7:26 am

mico wrote:
Voltor07 wrote:Yes to rack version! :mrgreen:
I'm not so sold on seeing a rack version be made available. I'd fear that the troubles that plague the Slim Phatty would too plague a rack/desktop version of the Sub Phatty. While this could possibly be not the case, considering the new and ever stable oscillators of the Sub Phatty, I don't doubt that the small enclosure would still lead to some temperature issues.
I doubt it. The Minitaur has 0 tuning problems. The case is very small. I am waiting for a rack version my self. Can't justify spending the cash, nor do I have the space, for the SubPhatty keyboard in my studio right now.
Eurorack, 5U, x0xb0x, Moog Slim Phatty, MF-102, MF-103, MF-108, CP-251, Beatstep Pro, Nord Lead 1, NI Maschine, MXR-104, ProCo RAT2, Big Muff π Bass, Logic Pro 9.
http://soundcloud.com/martianarts

furiousgreencloud

Post by furiousgreencloud » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:51 am

I've had the Sub Phatty for just under a week, using it like crazy.

Here are my positives + and -tives:

+ constant rate detune!!!!, maintains beat frequency difference between Osc1 & 2, wonderful!
+ sub osc, though not as important as i thought often cancels sound with other are OSCs' partials.
+ 2 x looping 4 stage (DAHSR) EGs!!! Would like to see a %percent function of overall time, so the length stays constant, but that's really a blue sky feature.
+ aftertouch/channel pressure to filter cutoff, nice one.
+ brighter high end on filter!
+ look/styling is good.
+ awesome 14bit midi implementation, you can seriously LFO/modulate anything with this.
+ 16 Presets - Perfect! More not needed, easy to access, brilliant for live work.

- All CVs are 0-5V, while on the Slim/Little Phatty that are -5/+5V (except for Volume) which means No Chance of metallic FM tones!!! FM has to add both negative an positive audio frequencies in a ratio to the carrier. This is a Biggie!
- the Multidrive, very disappointing, this knob it stays up all the time and still doesn't really grind. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlKTyMnxlq0, Overdrive apparently has more teeth. Tried again tonight and not sure. Maybe test your listening volume with 0 Multidrive, then add it. It does not add much level which maybe the Overdrive does (manual ses +6db)
- the workflow, how can i say it: no indication of where my knobs really are, is a pain, I like the Slim/Little Phattys Knobs, best of both worlds. Just more of them please! Or 1 LED so that as you move the knob (in pick up mode) you can see it dim as you get close to the real value, and flicks off when you've matched it.
- LFO alway resets on gate. I can live with that.
- editor crashes (always) i'm sure this will be fixed.
- no cue ability, what's the point of a headphone jack if i can't use it with out the PA being sent to?!

Of course filter is !ace! and the even the EG pings in beautifully, just opening the VCA has a lovely suck/pop.

Seriously considering returning it for a microbute or Slim Phatty (i want presets!), which i would have got ages ago if the preset were not so middle of the road.

wingo

Post by wingo » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:05 pm

furiousgreencloud wrote:
- the Multidrive, very disappointing, this knob it stays up all the time and still doesn't really grind. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlKTyMnxlq0, Overdrive apparently has more teeth. Tried again tonight and not sure. Maybe test your listening volume with 0 Multidrive, then add it. It does not add much level which maybe the Overdrive does (manual ses +6db)

- LFO alway resets on gate. I can live with that.
The multidrive can be subtle, and won't always add much level (but it can). It varies a lot depending on the timbre/harmonic content of the sound you're working with. It's often most striking when sweeping the filter. Also LFO gate reset can be toggled off ("under the hood").