Moog SUB PHATTY

Everything Sub.
modul8tr

Re: Moog SUB PHATTY

Post by modul8tr » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:06 pm

museslave wrote:The Sub Phatty has some unique applications for a modern Moog.
The one I had was a prototype, so it may not be exactly what the production model will be, but it had a distinctly different sound.
Soon, the demos I've done will be uploaded.
A different sound than other Phattys?

I love the gorgeous warm tones of the Little Phatty. In your opinion, can the Sub Phatty generate the same sounds (with overdrive dialed back/no multidrive) or are the raw oscillators very different sounding?

Also how was the bass? It's got some Taurus DNA, correct?

Currently I am making a very difficult decision between a Sub Phatty, or Little Phatty Stage. I was set on a Little Phatty and then the Sub Phatty happened. However, just to complicate things, I've made the decision to consider a Voyager as well.

jags

Post by jags » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:36 am

dswo wrote:Assuming Dan = Daniel Fisher: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_kiqQpiVjE...

On a completely separate note: will the Sub Phatty accommodate wood panels front and side, like the Slim?

Oh, the Sweetwater video!! Thanks!

Wood side panels. I had the same idea. i think I will try to make a pair out of our local Hawaiian Koa wood. Gorgeous stuff!

aen

Post by aen » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:58 pm

Kenneth wrote:I'm finally watching Amos' NAMM demonstration of the Sub. He's making me want one soooooo bad.... WHY? I have a Moog already! Why do I feel like I need one of these? Marc, I'm really looking forward to seeing your demo.
The DAW integration is really attractive. Sure, the little phatty does that, too, but it only has 4 KNOBS. Sure the Minitaur does it, but it only has 2 WAVEFORMS. Sub Phatty still looks great to this fellow with a LP, minitaur, and a Voyager OS on the way.
modul8tr wrote: Currently I am making a very difficult decision between a Sub Phatty, or Little Phatty Stage. I was set on a Little Phatty and then the Sub Phatty happened. However, just to complicate things, I've made the decision to consider a Voyager as well.
Personally, I'd prefer a sub phatty over the LP. Sometimes I might miss the arpeggiator on the LP, but having all the knobs available is awesome. Yes, the LP has a lot more preset storage, but I only use a few patches per show. And in the studio, it's TWEAK CITY BABY!

modul8tr

Post by modul8tr » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:01 pm

aen wrote: Personally, I'd prefer a sub phatty over the LP. Sometimes I might miss the arpeggiator on the LP, but having all the knobs available is awesome. Yes, the LP has a lot more preset storage, but I only use a few patches per show. And in the studio, it's TWEAK CITY BABY!
I am very much so leaning towards the Sub Phatty. One knob per function is where it's at. The DAW integration is brilliant, and I assume you can also use its knobs to control other things as well? Ableton and Logic have arpeggiators that I can use, so that's no big deal.

However, since I'm finally adding Moog flavor to the toolkit, tone is a big concern. Phatty is warm, creamy, goodness. In the vast majority of demos, they of course focus on what makes Sub Phatty unique, and not so much the similarities. I love everything new about it, but I want all of that *plus* the Little Phatty sound. In the Namm sneak preview vid, Amos does show off what I believe was described as the Little Phatty sound, by setting all of the oscillators at 12 (no overdrive) in the mixer, and turning multidrive off. The sound was lovely, but I don't think there was a direct feed to the camera, so it's hard to really analyze whether the characters were similar enough.

Anyway, it's an exciting piece of kit, and if I don't go Voyager (for now), I'm going Sub. Until I can get my hands on it in the coming weeks, I'm just looking for the opinions of those that have touched it.

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:44 pm

Our famous Amos just put up this demo - I don't think Soundcloud embed works here btw:

http://soundcloud.com/controlvoltage/looping-eg-fun

His post on Muffs:
Here's a sound I don't think you can get on an old Source.
This is the first patch I dialed up after implementing looping EGs.

Looping filter envelope is modulating the filter, square LFO is modulating waveform and filter.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:55 pm

Using looping envelopes as additional, complex waveform LFO is a neat trick that not many synths offer. :D
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:08 pm

Very, very cool patch.

NINesque.

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:17 pm

museslave wrote:Soon, the demos I've done will be uploaded.
Marc, is this like "Soon the 4th Minibrute video will be uploaded" or is this falling in the Blizzard* category of "Soon" :)

* For non-gamers, Blizzard makes videogames like Diablo and World of Warcraft and their 2 standard responses are "Soon" and "When it's done". Sometimes taking years

museslave

Post by museslave » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:14 pm

SSquirrel wrote:
museslave wrote:Soon, the demos I've done will be uploaded.
Marc, is this like "Soon the 4th Minibrute video will be uploaded" or is this falling in the Blizzard* category of "Soon" :)

* For non-gamers, Blizzard makes videogames like Diablo and World of Warcraft and their 2 standard responses are "Soon" and "When it's done". Sometimes taking years

Thank you for making me simultaneously burst out laughing and hang my head in shame.

If I can make myself stop watching Voyager on Netflix and stop drinking porter, it may be as soon as tomorrow morning, or Saturday morning for the first one. :)
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

ZYKLIFF

Post by ZYKLIFF » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:43 pm

One thing I can't get past is that awesome Arp sound clip on the main Sub Phatty sound page (moogmusic.com)... If that is there, then surely we may expect an arpeggiator, right?

Then will it be VST only, or will the Sub Phatty be capable of storing such a patch, making said patch available for live/OTB recall?

modul8tr

Post by modul8tr » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:57 am

Wow, that is gorgeous.

SOLD!

museslave

Post by museslave » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:55 pm

Arpeggiator. Hmm. Well, don't you have hands or a sequencer for that sort of thing?
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

filtered

Post by filtered » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:11 pm

Well, don't you have hands or a sequencer for that sort of thing?
I was watching a Cars concert DVD from the late 70s, and yeah, when Greg Hawkes threw in his "arpeggiated" licks, they were his fingers doing the work, not a machine!

modul8tr

Post by modul8tr » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:39 am

I just wanted to add some info from Amos' posts on Muffwiggler, regarding various Sub Phatty features/future developments that haven't been posted here :

- CV Mapping like Minitaur: planned.

- Physical CV outputs: contemplated; we'll need to look into it further.

- Rack Module: not on the schedule yet but the villagers are massing at the gates demanding one, so we'll see.

- Momentary button to toggle between two different presets : already in

- LFO syncs to midi clock : already in

- Sub Phatty knobs can be used as midi controllers since they send midi cc : already in

- With respect to the knobs not matching up to parameter values when changing presets, yes you'll be able to choose between pass-through, snap and relative modes to control what happens when you turn a knob which is out of sync with its associated parameter : already in

- poly mode coming to Sub Phatty is "a virtual certainty", but may come after other features are implemented.
Last edited by modul8tr on Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jay944

Post by Jay944 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:09 am

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by Jay944 on Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.