Moog SUB PHATTY

Everything Sub.
johnll

Re: Moog SUB PHATTY

Post by johnll » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:19 am

Wow.
This is more "inspired" by hooshirn than a response to it.
I remember reading somewhere once that an Arp 2600 was, when it was new, about the same price as a VW Bug. It's seems about right, as a new VW SuperBeetle around 1973 was about $2,400 or so.
Now I know that a 2600 is a big bigger than a Sub, but still basically...
Let's take a basic Toyota, since the VW is not exactly a budget car any longer.
$14,370 on Toyota's web site right now is the starting price for a new Yaris.
So... if you wanted, right now, a 3 oscillator semi-modular synth, made completely in the U.S. (of course none of the components would be, but so it goes) I think you'd have to pay about... $14,370!
So... a new Sub... totally US made, would be maybe $9,000?
The weirdest thing about this, of course, is that either your Arp 2600 or VW SuperBeetle where still in good condition and well taken care of, both of them would probably get you... About $9,000!

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:46 pm

Technology has gotten cheaper. That is what people seem to forget when doing these comparisons. A Minimoog cost $1495 when new, about half the cost of a new car at the time. Would you pay $7000 for a Minimoog Voyager? Not the EB, or select series, just the basic Performer model? That's what it would have cost forty years ago, due to the cost of components back then. Electronics are much much cheaper now. You can currently purchase a Studio 110 Synthesizers.com system for $14k, and while the components are not military spec, neither are the parts in the new Moog products. I'd be willing to bet that there were many components in the later Norlin Moog synths that were made in Japan to save costs. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:17 pm

I'm just glad Moog continues to be in business. If they have to do certain things to stay in business that happen to make a few synth nerds unhappy, so be it.

I like having a place to send my Voyager in case I break it.

filtered

Post by filtered » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:07 am

I'm just glad Moog continues to be in business. If they have to do certain things to stay in business that happen to make a few synth nerds unhappy, so be it.

I like having a place to send my Voyager in case I break it.
Amen- "Moog's gone bad" posts get tiresome-

dswo

Post by dswo » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:26 pm

thealien666 knows more than I do about almost anything, but where he sees rehashing, I see development. If you already have a D, then maybe you do want to see something completely different. But I was only a child in the 70s: had no use for one then, can't afford to buy or maintain one now. I'm thrilled that I can own something in the same family of sounds.
David Wilson-Okamura

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:26 pm

dswo wrote:thealien666 knows more than I do about almost anything, but where he sees rehashing, I see development. If you already have a D, then maybe you do want to see something completely different. But I was only a child in the 70s: had no use for one then, can't afford to buy or maintain one now. I'm thrilled that I can own something in the same family of sounds.
My thoughts exactly. I also fail to see how the Sub is a rehash. Watch the demo Amos did and you will see that it is a quite different synthesizer from other Moogs, in more ways than one. Multidrive is a new circuit, and no Moog has ever had a sub osc. So, in what way is it a rehash?
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:49 pm

Kenneth wrote:
dswo wrote:thealien666 knows more than I do about almost anything, but where he sees rehashing, I see development. If you already have a D, then maybe you do want to see something completely different. But I was only a child in the 70s: had no use for one then, can't afford to buy or maintain one now. I'm thrilled that I can own something in the same family of sounds.
My thoughts exactly. I also fail to see how the Sub is a rehash. Watch the demo Amos did and you will see that it is a quite different synthesizer from other Moogs, in more ways than one. Multidrive is a new circuit, and no Moog has ever had a sub osc. So, in what way is it a rehash?

Actually the micro/multi moogs had sub oscillators. But yeah multi drive was inspired by the model d feedback trick but expands on it and give more control, The new stable/brighter vco is all new. I wouldn't call this a rehash, I would call it more of a culmination of a lot of really good ideas that may have been derived from previous products but never put together in one package... Not to mention a more affordable package
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:04 pm

Fwiw, the last retail price for the Mini D was $1995.
It was $1495 previously.
A rise of $500 in less than 10 years is considerable.
Had present-day Moog done this sort of markup, Voyagers would be a lot more expensive.
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime. - R. Pupkin

moogsaurus

Post by moogsaurus » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:07 am

However resale of 2nd hand Moogs (old and new) set them apart from others! I'd contacted a guy here in the UK on his analogue solutions Leipzig synth,wanted 650 GBP,buy it now on ebay,I'd told him of the appalling seller fees (over 400 and they auto take 75!) Never sold, then he advertised it for auction-went for 530 GBP,minus 75 and minus paypal fees! Originally cost 1200GBP 3 years ago, Moogs (old or new) dont lose so much,so its a better bet to buy an established maker,The Leipzig sounds good - but ordinary. Just goes to show,even being a capable hand built in GB synth does'nt make it a classic,depreciation value?...terrible

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:23 am

I stand corrected, Moog Music is the best synth company in the world...
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:33 pm

dswo wrote:thealien666 knows more than I do about almost anything, but where he sees rehashing, I see development..
To be fair to Mssr. Alien, the post you are thinking of was made by him a long time ago, in Internet terms, long before the cool details about this synth were revealed by Amos in that 28 min. Sonic State video. He later listed the Sub Phatty as one of the interesting products coming out of Winter NAMM 2013 - which by his standards should be considered a compliment. 8)

jags

Post by jags » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:35 am

GovernorSilver wrote:
The Demon Dan video is great.
Mr Shave wrote:
However, watching the Demon Dan video, it appears that the LFO goes into the audio range, and combined with 3 destinations, you should be able to get some interesting enharmonic sounds...

Demon Dan, how fast does that LFO get?

Can someone post a link to the "Demon Dan Video"? Thanks!

dswo

Post by dswo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:45 am

Assuming Dan = Daniel Fisher: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_kiqQpiVjE...

On a completely separate note: will the Sub Phatty accommodate wood panels front and side, like the Slim?
David Wilson-Okamura

museslave

Post by museslave » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:45 pm

The Sub Phatty has some unique applications for a modern Moog.
The one I had was a prototype, so it may not be exactly what the production model will be, but it had a distinctly different sound.
Soon, the demos I've done will be uploaded.
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic