Re: Moog SUB PHATTY

Post by tommyecho » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:04 am

Amos just did a demo for Switched on Austin at NAMM:

http://switchedonaustin.com
THE GOLDEN MINIMOOG VOYAGER #31

ricknboogie

Post by ricknboogie » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:04 pm

No one does a better job showing this new synth off than Amos. He's got me convinced I *need* this SubP. Maybe if Bob were still here, but in his absence, Amos is the MAN!! Thanks.

Edoardo_P

Post by Edoardo_P » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:19 am

Hi guys,

I have no real experience with analog synths and when it comes to subtractive synthesis, my English gets much poorer, so I would ask you to clear some stuff out.

- I don't get the thing of the SubP keeping the oscillators tuned. :mrgreen: it means they detune less easily (but they have to be tuned as on the other Phattys), OR that there is some feature/tool that costantly keeps them on tune? Would it be "easier" to use for a newbie? Else, is it Plug&Play (that A on the keyboard is and always be an A if you press a button?)

- Is there a way to save your sounds/settings on the SubPhatty?

- Is the SubPhatty a full-range synth with some more aggressive/percussive sounds added on the past designs, OR is it a "drum machine / distorted bass synth" with a keyboard controller?
Those demos I've found don't seem to cover the full frequency spectrum... Can the SubPhatty produce also the LittlePhatty's "organ-like" sounds, plus that percussive/distorted stuff, or is it meant just for the latter?

Thanks everybody

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:05 am

Edoardo,
1. It's a new oscillator design which is supposed to be MORE stable and I believe they said it doesn't require any warm-up time.
2. Yes
3. Full range.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Edoardo_P

Post by Edoardo_P » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:46 am

Thanks...

So... in poor words, the SubPhatty is actually more versatile than the Little Phatty, it's just got a smaller keyboard? I don't get why it's cheaper then. :|

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:58 am

"Different" would probably be a better word for it.

The Sub Phatty (currently) does NOT have a built-in arpeggiator, but there are potentially all kinds of possible future enhancements available via firmware upgrades (based on the massive enhancements to the Minitaur over just a few months after release!)

Of course, since it hasn't "formally" released yet, very few of us probably really know what its capabilites will be when it starts delivering to customers in March! 8)

As far as the (relatively) cheaper price -

2012 was a good year for analog, and there's nothing like some competition to help out the the wallets of the customers!! :)
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

Edoardo_P

Post by Edoardo_P » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:34 am

Stuka wrote:
The Sub Phatty (currently) does NOT have a built-in arpeggiator

WHAT :evil: :cry: :| :shock:

You didn't need to say anything else :oops:

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:56 pm

For the price of a Little Phatty Stage II you could get a Sub Phatty plus an Akai Max 25 or Max 49.

The Akai Max keyboards have built-in arpeggiator AND step sequencer...

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:13 pm

GovernorSilver wrote:For the price of a Little Phatty Stage II you could get a Sub Phatty plus an Akai Max 25 or Max 49.

... if they would have gone the extra mile and included Pressure CV, Velocity CV, Mod CV and Clock Gate with divider they would have sold one to every modular gearhead out there.

And 4 octaves is just fine. Shame. It looks nice and feels nice also.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:51 pm

Good points, EMWhite.

The Voyager keyboard has an unreal variety of CV outputs (with the VX-351 expander) that have yet to be replicated with other keyboard controllers. I consider the Continuum a special case.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:53 pm

As far as CV outputs for Sub Phatty, I wouldn't be surprised if a future update could maybe add them (by replacing the whole right side panel with one with 1/4" connectors, à la Little Phatty stage II) ? Because since this is an analog synth, those CVs are certainly present inside. But I doubt that an arpeggiator could be possible though.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

kslight

Post by kslight » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:13 pm

Edoardo_P wrote:Thanks...

So... in poor words, the SubPhatty is actually more versatile than the Little Phatty, it's just got a smaller keyboard? I don't get why it's cheaper then. :|
Pretty much unusably small keyboard, no FM, no arp, pretty limited modulation capabilities, much less patch memory. I'm sorry but for $1000 I would have expected a minimum 2.5-3 octave keybed....I associate 25 key keyboards with cheap cheesy gear, this is not close enough to cheap and pushes too far from cheesy to lose steam. It is unfortunate that they cut these corners, as it stands it is a deal breaker for me, will hold out for a "Big Phatty" (lol) which I have to imagine either this or a rack model will be the next Moog synth. Why is it that DSI can give 3 and 4 octave keyboards on their Mopho and Mopho x4 and Moog can't cut us a small break?

For the price of a Little Phatty Stage II you could get a Sub Phatty plus an Akai Max 25 or Max 49.

Which is certainly a disappointing solution when you have to bring a separate keyboard to your gig just to control the synth that has its own keyboard.

I realize this is a Moog forum and there will be a lot of love for Moog (not that I lack it) but you know, very close to a great Mini alternative but so far away.

monokit

Post by monokit » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:55 pm

monokit

Post by monokit » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:18 pm

new video:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=tK_tRgnC ... CIWo&gl=DE

Oh and Amos confirmed on Muffs, that the Sub Phatty will get looping EGs...how cool is that? 8) :D

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:36 pm

This video has little to do with Moog except that this guy, aside from having the same haircut as me (that's where the similarities end), was the reason that I picked up my Little Phatty Tribute (If you haven't seen his series of videos, you ought to).

But on the subject of 2-octave keyboards being limiting; watch this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fRrLHop ... r_embedded

Of course, he's playing a soft synth or some other poly behind the scenes so it's not 100% applicable to the Sub Phatty but it just goes to show you what can be done on a 2 octave kbd... in 17 seconds. (that reminds me that I need to play a bit more and type far less!)
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!