Moog SUB PHATTY

Everything Sub.
slabwax

Re: Moog SUB PHATTY

Post by slabwax » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:56 pm

For me this comes at a perfect time. I sold my LP last week and was all set ( I still might be ??? ) on buying a used Voyager. And now this. The reason I sold the Phatty had nothing to do with the sound and all to do with the interface. As much as I'd love a voyager I'm not sure I can justify one. I don't need a larger keyboard and with the money I would save buying a new SubP I can pick up a Blokey and a tape delay. That would be not a bad thing either. I just hope they add some sort of cv outs, and I think they will.

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:02 pm

Whoever is going to NAMM, please don't forget to ask about the likelihood of a CV out mod.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:00 pm

I'm just wondering about the utility of a pitch CV output from a 25 keys keyboard (even with the octave range switch) ? Especially since the Sub Phatty doesn't have an arpeggiator or sequencer onboard either...

As for the knobs, they're not even accessible via MIDI (yet), so for them to output CV directly, I doubt it. Moreover, there is no provision for the space required for additional CV output jacks !

Unless Moog redesigns the PCB to allow switching between input an output of the current CV plugs ?
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:37 pm

thealien666 wrote:I'm just wondering about the utility of a pitch CV output from a 25 keys keyboard (even with the octave range switch) ? Especially since the Sub Phatty doesn't have an arpeggiator or sequencer onboard either...
That's a good point. Though as you know, much of 'playing' a modular is often accompaniment while a sequence is running or an LFO driven osc drones away. Plenty of opportunity to run up or down between phrases. One nice thing about how the LP works with regard to CV out is that the envelope CV outs and the Mod bus CV out adds utility such that you can use a single module (Oscillator) and the facilities of the Phatty with or without the keyboard. I do this all the time (use the LFO resync feature of the Phatty and both ENV gens to control the MOTM 440 low-pass, for instance).
thealien666 wrote:As for the knobs, they're not even accessible via MIDI (yet), so for them to output CV directly, I doubt it. Moreover, there is no provision for the space required for additional CV output jacks !
Yeah, one thing that is a bit unusual is how they drilled holes into the right panel for the CV out jacks. It works out for me because all of my gear is to the right hand side of my Phatty but ideally, this would be best coming out of the back (impractical due to the style of the *Phatty) or near the rest of the jacks (as you said no room). But if they offered it, I bet people would find a way to leverage it.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

calyx93

Post by calyx93 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:09 pm

From reading the spec, Moog did away with osc 2 to filter cutoff modulation on this model - so no more filter FM. No more crunchy, metallic weirdness and formant type patches. Am I misreading or missing something?
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

Mr Shave

Post by Mr Shave » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:32 pm

It does appear that OSC2 is no longer a modulation source...

However, watching the Demon Dan video, it appears that the LFO goes into the audio range, and combined with 3 destinations, you should be able to get some interesting enharmonic sounds...

Demon Dan, how fast does that LFO get?

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:46 pm

Are you guys telling that the Sub does not offer the same room than the Little Phatty on the right for CV outs?

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:14 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote:Are you guys telling that the Sub does not offer the same room than the Little Phatty on the right for CV outs?
No, we're just saying that there are none so far... And that a redesign of the internal circuit boards would probably have to be done (maybe not) in order to put some there... :mrgreen:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:48 pm

IgorCristo wrote: After hearing all the available content of it, I can say this: I like the sound, but it's not the Phatty's sound I'm used to hear. IMHO the original Phatty sounds better... it's overload is very creamy and not this multidrive sterile sound.
Have you seen the sweetwater demo? I am very critical of new synths, and as far as I am concerned nothing can touch the model D, and before hearing it I was skeptical. But this thing sounds really raw and compelling. I would like to hear it with a full midi keyboard, but as is, it is one of the least sterile synths I have heard, especially modern. It's one of those synths that no one would mistake for digital. I guess I just have specific taste, but I am actually considering selling something and getting it.

Also the fact that there is no display is great, one of the reasons I sold the Voyager. A button for each patch is awesome. I love the concept of hiding all of the digital functions, which tend to make an synth feel more like a computer and less like an instrument.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:04 pm

Again, I must agree with unfiltered37. When listening to the excellent demo by _DemonDan_ on YT, I couldn't help but feel I was listening to a real Moog analog synth !
I'm pretty sure that, if I didn't know it was a demo of a new synth from Moog, and if someone had made me listen to the audio track only of that video, and only the actual synth sounds, I could have easily guessed it was a Moog. I would probably have said it was a Multimoog demo (with the Filter mod installed for better low frequency response, of course), soundwise. :mrgreen:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:56 pm

There is less room inside the Sub (obviously, it's 8-10" shorter), but at the same time, you won't need as much to implement CV out, that is if Moog had designed the board to be extensible in that fashion. I'd be interested to see the difference between the inside of my Phatty Tribute and one of the Sweetwater w/CV out's "factory". Mine has solder points right on the board both for the Envelope generators, and other; a small circuit board on the bottom left (looking from behind) which is likely an auxiliary buffer circuit driven by OpAmp, etc, and the jack assembly which is attached to the end cheek.

If, as I suggested earlier, Moog has plans for 'more', the would have included a very elegant (5x2 header for instance) way of bringing a ribbon cable directly to jack points.

I had pictures posted here which showed the inside and CV-out workings but had to remove them because the webmasters that run Moog's site are somewhat frugal when it comes to allowing us to post pictures. But if you look into Wayback machine, you'll find them.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

calaverasgrande

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:06 pm

wow no CV/Gate out?
Bummer.
Taurus III, Digitone, Dark Energy, OB6, MG1, Grandmother, Blofeld

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:09 pm

calaverasgrande wrote:wow no CV/Gate out?
Bummer.
Yeah. But I thought the idea of a new analog synth was to actually play it, no ?

BTW, here's a link to a nice video demo by Nolan DeCoster, posted in another thread here by archer earlier.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwn33DIJ ... Nw&index=1
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

IgorCristo

Post by IgorCristo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:33 pm

IgorCristo wrote: After hearing all the available content of it, I can say this: I like the sound, but it's not the Phatty's sound I'm used to hear. IMHO the original Phatty sounds better... it's overload is very creamy and not this multidrive sterile sound.
I was wrong... very wrong!! It sounds just awesome! The multidrive thing is very gritty indeed...
Moog Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition and Little Phatty Stage II | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm | Mutable Instruments Ambika | Korg Minilogue

ricknboogie

Post by ricknboogie » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:02 pm

Yes, it does sound awesome, and I could make room somehow, for this little guy.