Sustain pedel and subsequent 37

Everything Sub.
darthur

Sustain pedel and subsequent 37

Post by darthur » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:40 pm

I have read every article but I only seem to be finding old information.

I have a moog subsequent 37 and a ep3 expression pedal.

I am trying this on an init preset.
Based on the owners manual I should be able to change the ext gate map to sustain pedal and sustain notes.

When I use that setting the note does not sustain on press and release.
When I change polarity on the pedal the note does not sustain on press and release.

If I turn the ext gate invert on the note will sustain on press and release but the pedal has no effect and will not turn it off regardless of polarity change. Its just sustaining until I turn off the ext gate invert.

What am I doing wrong?

MrChumley

Re: Sustain pedel and subsequent 37

Post by MrChumley » Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:41 pm

I haven't tried it, but my reading of the manual is that the KB Gate input only accepts a latching (on/off) foot switch.

Maybe you could use the Vol CV input and map it to Amp EG Release, so the more you press, the longer the note will play after releasing the key?

darthur

Post by darthur » Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:44 pm

MrChumley wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:41 pm I haven't tried it, but my reading of the manual is that the KB Gate input only accepts a latching (on/off) foot switch.
You are absolutely right about the on/off call out in the manual. I guess I was just hopeful that the pedals full 0 or full 100 was registered as that on/off. Apparently the pedal doesn't work that way.
MrChumley wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:41 pm Maybe you could use the Vol CV input and map it to Amp EG Release, so the more you press, the longer the note will play after releasing the key?
Thank you for this workaround suggestion. I tried it, however it doesn't produce the same outcome I was looking for as it gets overwritten by the next key press.

I wish there was a parameter setting that I could set the value of the incoming pedal signal to be ignored or simply "if position 0 - no signal"

MrChumley

Post by MrChumley » Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:46 pm

darthur wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:44 pmThank you for this workaround suggestion. I tried it, however it doesn't produce the same outcome I was looking for as it gets overwritten by the next key press.
No problem. Sorry to hear it doesn't work, but I guess that's always going to be the case with a monosynth as by definition it can only play one note at a time, regardless of how you control the envelopes. Unless you can do something with duo mode?

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:13 am

I don't think duo mode will help: on a piano, the sustain pedal will prevent the strings to be dampened when released. However it's like each string is a tone generator and has it's own envelope. On the Sub, as you have only one amplitude envelope for all tone generators, so there is no way that an oscillator amplitude decreases following a different "channel" than the other.
Not sure how clear this is :D

You best option, to me, is to use a clear, medium to long reverb.

That being said, sometimes, only the musician will hear the difference ; I even remember listening to songs for the n-th time and realizing that this long release synth sound is actually monophonic. Sometimes the information is located before you start to bother :)