Sub 37 playing every 7th note only

Everything Sub.
rca86

Sub 37 playing every 7th note only

Post by rca86 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:51 am

Very strange and new issue. I've had my Sub 37 for around 3 years. Randomly, after a 2020 of almost zero gigs, I pulled it out again to get ready for new gigs and discovered a strange issue.

First of all, when I play via MIDI, there's no real issue. I only started using it recently with MIDI, and since then (possibly a coincidence), I have the strangest symptom:

1. Every 7th note plays. Ie, I'll press a key, and it works fine. I can sustain the note for as long as I like.
2. I press a 2nd, 3rd, etc. note, and they won't work. The 1st, 7th, 14th etc. note works. Bizarre!
3. It doesn't matter how quickly I play the notes, it's specifically every 7th note.
4. If I'm using an arpeggiator, it responds to every note that I play, adding it to the current arpeggiated sequence.
5. Changing patch doesn't resolve the issue.

So obviously the keybed itself is working, as it works fine through MIDI and with the arpeggiator. The individual keys are all fine (except for a slightly dodgy Ab).

I'm a little suspicious that it started happening after the first time I used it for MIDI with my DAW. Has anybody come across this? Have I put it in some weird mode?

stiiiiiiive

Re: Sub 37 playing every 7th note only

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:17 am

Is there a polychain mode on the Sub 37?...

rca86

Post by rca86 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:51 am

stiiiiiiive wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:17 am Is there a polychain mode on the Sub 37?...

So I don't exactly know what that is, but a quick search says that yes. I'm guessing it just allows you to hook multiple Moogs together.

Apparently it can polychain to another Sub37, Slim Phatty or Little Phatty.

Do you think this might cause it? Would it be a software mode I could disable do you think?

RobustAmerican

Post by RobustAmerican » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:49 pm

That is a strange one. Have you tried disconnecting the midi and usb cables? Does it still do the strange? If so, I would check the polychain settings that stiiiiiiive pointed to...

POLY NUMBER (MIDI MENU 3.1)
This parameter specifies the Sub 37 as a single polyphonic voice for use with other compatible
Moog synthesizers. Additional synthesizers must be connected via MIDI in order to add polyphony.
No two synthesizers should be assigned to the same voice. When no other synthesizers are
connected, this value should be set to OFF.

POLY MAX (MIDI MENU 3.2)
This parameter specifies the number of connected voices in a poly chain. This number should not
exceed the number of connected units. The default is 3.

If you still have the issue try a global reset...

INIT SETTINGS (GLOBAL MENU 3.2)
When this is highlighted you can press CURSOR to enter a page that allows you to reset the system
settings (everything in the MIDI MENU and GLOBAL MENU) to their default values. To initialize,hold
the SAVE button until it counts down from 5 to 1. If you let go before it passes 1 it will abort the
initialization. If you hold SAVE for the full 5 count the display will confirm that you have initialized the
system settings. NOTE: INIT SETTINGS will NOT erase the factory or user presets, only the MIDI and
GLOBAL settings.

rca86

Post by rca86 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:36 pm

@RobustAmerican and @stiiiiiiive, that was the solution! The poly number was set to 1 instead of off (for some reason).

Thought I might have to junk the thing. Thanks so much for your help! Happy days.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:13 am

The setting must have been "1st out of 7 polychained synths", hence the 1 note out of 7 :)

Glad it helped!