Any Voyager Signature owners out there?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
MC

Re: Any Voyager Signature owners out there?

Post by MC » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:38 am

So why not make some music on the thing like the rest of us?

I got off the buy/sell/buy/sell treadmill years ago. Waste of money. I learned to be happy with what I have and I quit looking at catalogs.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Prime NL

Post by Prime NL » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:33 am

I am not gonna waste to much time on this thread....but reading the last reply from markireland just gives me a wrong impression about where this thread is going to.

If you would like to find people who are interested in just making money and you feel that you lost to much by buying a Signature....i guess you will have a hard time finding people who support your "case".

I enjoy my Signature every day...not for the fact that i thought that i made an investement.....but the fact that i love this instrument just by the looks and the sound of it.

I am not in the game of making a profit from it.....and i won't be the one to support you on this.

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:51 am

So if you just want to make a profit, then what do you really need a list for?

See, far too often there are ebay rapists out there, using that Moog name to ream everyones wallets.

You would have been quite ignorant to think that the Voyagerswere goig to be scarce, at that time they released the Minimoog for the first real time ever and surely a rational thought would tel you that it wasn't going to be a flop.

If you want a synth with features you can always buy kits, build them and sell them for more than you paid for them to people who can't solder. THats what Bob did with theremins and he because one of the legends of the synth industry as a result.

I don't really see how anyone in their right minds can sell a used item for more than they paid for it without intentionally screwing people over.

If you want to make a profit, why don't you just create some music and sell it.

MC,
Ive just been on the buy buy buy buy treadmill, I don't ever plan on selling.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:47 am

Guess I’ll join in here, I have two purchased a year apart. The first in October 2002 when they first came out and the second in early November 2003 when a store made me an offer ona brand new in the box never used one I couldn’t turn down.
I bought mine because I wanted the Voyager when it first came out, I also liked the “extra’s” that were included and the real wood finish available. Yes, having an instrument that was signed by Bob and only available in a limited quantity is a great bonus but not a major factor. Like MC, I hardly ever get rid of gear and I don’t plan to ever sell. Being an SE was not deciding factor when purchased that they “could” be worth more down the road….  Save that for the stamp and coin collectors 

Back in late 2002 there was a list ( I think Lords of the Mini ? ) that “collected all of the SE owners, then started to collect all of the stage owners.

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:01 pm

i specifically bought an sign edition. i love the special touch, the woodfinfishing. makes the instrument just a bit more special to me when i play it and when i look at it.
selling has not occured to me .
besides the appearance and touch the se version triggers also some special memory to me due to my meeting b.moog demonstrating it to me on the frankfurter messe. i didn't even know it was bob , the nice guy taking time to talk and demonstrate the instrument to me with all time in the world it seems.
until some japanese person passing by starting taking pictures of me .
of me ??
oh it's bob moog .
so finally also asked for his autograph on the folder of the voyagersignature series.
guess how often i had a look at it afterwards and how happy i was when i finally was able to buy the secondhand/ but never been out of the box mapple serial 098.:!:

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:09 pm

Great story :)

I never meet Bob in person, but a friend who was at the 2003 NAMM Show had him sign a brochure for me. Funny thing is my friend thought I had #210 :), It's #206, so in the studio I have an autographed personalized brochure with the wrong number :).

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:42 pm

So, you have my brochure! :lol: Mine is (n)10 but I'm too far away from it to remember or look at the tag to see if it really is 210.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

markireland

Post by markireland » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:46 pm

I will jump in in my own defence . I do not want to make a profit from selling my Signature, I just want to avoid a huge loss.

And I want to get enough money from the sale to buy something more suitable for my needs.

Like all of you, I do love the sound of the Voyager.
http://www.MarkIreland.com.au

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:45 am

markireland wrote:I will jump in in my own defence . I do not want to make a profit from selling my Signature, I just want to avoid a huge loss.
if you want to void big losses in synthland, buy secondhand , not new.
just a tip
on the other hand having a good time is so much more valuable then money

markireland

Post by markireland » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:38 am

Good tip. I usually follow it but I thought there would only be 600 new Moogs in the world.
http://www.MarkIreland.com.au

wjwilcox

Post by wjwilcox » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:37 am

This will undoubtedly sound curmundgendly, but why didn't you buy something "more suitable to your needs" in the first place?

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:03 am

I have #296 in maple. Cost £2700 and it was ex display but perfect condition. Really good price at the time as some UK dealers were selling them for well over £3000 and that was just the standard version, with no Moog logos on at all.

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:28 am

markireland wrote:I will jump in in my own defence . I do not want to make a profit from selling my Signature, I just want to avoid a huge loss.

And I want to get enough money from the sale to buy something more suitable for my needs.

Like all of you, I do love the sound of the Voyager.
markireland wrote:I would like to buy a cool synth, use it, sell it for a profit and buy a cool synth (and so on) and this is what I have always done right up until I bought the Signature.
Okay, you have essentially contradicted yourself here. You essentially want to trade something lesser for something better. And I don’t know what happened to your post about feeling Moog owes you something. Seems thevy gave you a synth with Bob’s signature on it, so Id say you are even, though you feel still disenfranchised.

fini,

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:54 pm

Let's face it: there are now "better" models of the Voyager out there -- with flash lighting and even CV input patchbays etc. -- than your Signature.

Every company has a right to update their products. Would you expect a 2004 Holden Commodore to fetch a higher price than a 2010 model?

With a small company like Moog, they do their production in small runs to minimise their risk.

I'm sure most people don't give a toss about Bob Moog or even know who he is. Find somebody who does who also wants to buy your synth and you might get the return you are after.

Are you enjoying this Mark? Sounds a bit troll-esk at the moment...

Tibbon

Post by Tibbon » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:31 pm

#144 chiming in here. Came with gooseneck and a case. Got it for $2200 in perfect shape from a guy in 2004.

I love it. Amos upgraded a few things inside to bring it more current for me. Needs a tuning, but it isn't too far off (just some presets are a little off now).

Just ordered a VX/CP finally for it.
Signature #144