Voyager XL!

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
EricK

Re: Voyager XL!

Post by EricK » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:30 pm

I think the Fatatr Keys probably added signifigantly to the price of the XL. Amos said that they wanted to do a 1.5 octave T3, but the price for the .5 was going to make it too high. The added cabinetry and aluminium likely contributes pretty much to the weight, Im thinking that it probably weighs 15-20 lbs more than the voyager currently does, making it really hard to move.

This is going to be the same with their poly. In order to have a great analogue poly, its going to be big and lots of users stated that realestate in their studio is in short supply. I don't really see how we expect to have the wuality that we expect from Moog, in a small unit that doesn't weigh or cost a ton. It seems to defy the laws of physics.

Would anyone really want a poly with a different osc architecture? I mean, Im not expecting a poly Voyager, but if It didn't sound at least as great as the Voyager then people are going to complain if it doesn't.

Im sure Moog can justify the price of the XL. Im sure that that 15-1700 price difference for things that already exist minus the ribon controller should be an indication of the fact that designs that we come up with likely cost more than we think to impliment.

If Moog makes a 5k synth and a 6k guitar, a great poly would probably be 12k, huge, heavy but worthy of the Moog badge, and it would be the top of the line poyphonic, an instant classic. THey would win their awards and all of us will cash in our insurance policies, turn over a 5th mortgage, and do immoral things for money for a piece of this beast that we know that it is we really want to see.

THe thing is, the expansion module solution, while seemingly the way to go....it isn't cheaper, it isn't exactly accomodating to studio space, and it isn't exactly the easiest to pull off either.

One of the reasons why I bought the T3, was because I wanted to achieve that coveted duophony through Midi. But its not exactly easy to do. In order to get the most usable range of Taurus, I have to transpose the keyboard so Low, that the Voyager becomes unusable. Maybe if the Taurus had pitch CV outs I could get the Voyager to track at an interval.

But still, from a players perspective, you still have to concentrate on which finger falls first in order to keep your voices where you want them. Its not quite a seemingly natural technique as a piano or traditional polysynth. Your basses may interchange with your leads if you lose your focus.

So, even though some of this may be more apropriately in the polyphonic synth feature reques threadt, polyphonic designs or the next couple of Foogers (since they are going to a bigger factory now) will probably owe their existance to the XL.

E
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:54 pm

The only way this poly will work imo is to make a 5 octave frame, use a Phatty style interface and add space for expandable voice cards, so you start with mono and can add up to 8 voices on plug in cards as and when you can afford..
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:03 am

goldphinga wrote:The only way this poly will work imo is to make a 5 octave frame, use a Phatty style interface and add space for expandable voice cards, so you start with mono and can add up to 8 voices on plug in cards as and when you can afford..
Agreed. This is a great idea! :D
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:23 pm

Voltor07 wrote:
goldphinga wrote:The only way this poly will work imo is to make a 5 octave frame, use a Phatty style interface and add space for expandable voice cards, so you start with mono and can add up to 8 voices on plug in cards as and when you can afford..
Agreed. This is a great idea! :D
And thats why i should be a design consultant to Moog.. :mrgreen:
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:57 pm

goldphinga wrote:And thats why i should be a design consultant to Moog.. :mrgreen:
I think we all are, on a volunteer basis though.

Id love to get paid for it! I only got one Moog check, and it was awesome (It was a rebate check).
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Pogo

Post by Pogo » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:27 pm

wow i wanted something new and even possible something digital ( I KNOW I KNOW). And they did it !
I'm loving this iphone app!!!!!!! thank you moog ! perfect buddy to my voyager os
voyager os, vx-351, cp-251, mf101, mf 102, mg-1, etherwave theremin, and some other non-moog goodies

c7sus

Post by c7sus » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:15 pm

EricK wrote:One of the reasons why I bought the T3, was because I wanted to achieve that coveted duophony through Midi. But its not exactly easy to do. In order to get the most usable range of Taurus, I have to transpose the keyboard so Low, that the Voyager becomes unusable. Maybe if the Taurus had pitch CV outs I could get the Voyager to track at an interval.

E
http://www.midisolutions.com/prodevp.htm
Voyager EB #165, T3 #292, MF-101, 102, 103, 104SD, 2x104MSD, 105M, 107, 108M, MP-201, VX-351, CP-251, Frostwave Fat Controller.

ARP

Post by ARP » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:01 pm

This idea makes good sense, it would allow more people to get on board when the synth is first launched, without having to lay out $5k or more at the start. To be marketed as a true poly synth it would probably have to come with at least 2 voices from the factory, similar to the Studio Electronics Code polysynth. I'm definately game if and when Moog decides to go this route. :D
"Although they heard the music..they didn't understand the tune"

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:38 pm

goldphinga wrote:...use a Phatty style interface and add space for expandable voice cards, so you start with mono and can add up to 8 voices on plug in cards as and when you can afford..
http://www.vintagesynth.com/oberheim/obmx.php

"Out of the box the OB-Mx comes with one two-voice expansion card which contains the two oscillators, 4 multistage envelopes, 3 LFO's, and filters. Up to 6 of these cards can be easily installed sufficiently adding to the phattness of this synth and its capabilities. Unfortunately, the high cost of extra voice cards also made a fully-outfitted OB-Mx a very pricey proposition when put up against other more commonly-available digital instruments of its time."

My friend has one. It's cool.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

BrianK

Post by BrianK » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:36 am

You beat me to it, the Oberheim had 2voice cards you could buy one at a time. 6 cards = 12 voices, maxed out. I had one like that. Sold it in trade for a mixer (that could not be restored) and wish I had it back. A great and fun synth. However, these kind of poly synths have big limitations, I don't think they would sell well, costing as much as they will.

On the other hand, I hear the Voyager XL has already been ordered many times over what they thought it might sell. In just one month of pre-orders. That's cool that they will be "out there". Now just waiting for production....

BrianK

Post by BrianK » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:42 am

alainhubert wrote:Bob Moog himself would not have been too impressed by this, I think. Mike Adams (the big boss at Moog Music) has little clue as to what musicians want, or need.
I don't know that you can speak for Bob. Was Bob "impressed" by his simple Filter pedal? Other people had done that, it was not "innovative" - just a good design. Or the RingMod pedal, or simple solid-state theremin. He was building new versions of things already existing in the world. He built things because people liked them as products.

I've heard the Voyager XL has sold quite well over their estimate already, so Mike has done well AND Bob would like it too. He always liked when people responded well to things and bought them!