external CV via red input jack

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Niko

external CV via red input jack

Post by Niko » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:49 am

I'm thinking to use external control voltages with the Voyager. The Voyager red TRS jacks supplying +5V on the ring. Would it be possible to feed a CV into the Voyager, e.g. from an Etherwave plus Theremin, by using a "mono" connector with only Tip and Sleeve instead of a TRS type (Tip-Ring-Sleeve) without damaging the Voyager? I'm concerned to create a short circuit with a 2 pole connector.

following image stolen from the Walking Stick Operation Manual from Psionic Soundworks:
TRS Plug.jpg
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered" - No. 6

Where is the tutti button on this instrument? ...

SteveD

Re: external CV via red input jack

Post by SteveD » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:22 am

Hi Niko -

This is no problem - each input on the Voyager that takes an expression pedal input has its own Ring voltage supply that is designed so you can plug in a Tip-Sleeve plug without worrying - it basically just shuts off the ring supply on that input when you plug in a TS plug...

Enjoy your Voyages....

SD

Niko

Post by Niko » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:51 am

Hi Steve,

many thanks for the superfast reply. I'll give a try this evening.
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered" - No. 6

Where is the tutti button on this instrument? ...

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:12 am

Unfortunately I have mostly TS patch cables because when I bought them, they were so cheap and I didn't know that I needed TRS cables.
I have used them with my PLUS into the Voyager before with no problem and really no consideration for damaging them (probably should have considered it).

But, something that Im interested to know is whether or not you get a zippering effect from your Voyager's pitch when controlling it via the EW+. I did, and I believe that Rudi has put this debate to rest about the zippering, saying that all analogue synths will zipper like this, even the D.

However, I remember testing the EW+ with the Taurus and got a very smoothe glide on the T3 Pitch. I don't remember right off hand if the Freq box zippered lke that though. Ill see if I can dig up that thread.

I have a video of the Voyager being controlled by the EW+
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eleittomrtE
Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:17 pm

Hi Erik -

Going a little OT here, but...

That's not Zippering from the Voyager - it's from the Ewave Plus Pitch to CV circuit. It takes 2 cycles of the audio to generate the CV output, so fast changing notes at low frequencies on the theremin will cause discontinuities in the Ewave Plus CV output. It has nothing to do with the Voyager.

If you don't want this, you can tune the Voyager to play lower than the theremin, and play in a higher frequency range of the theremin...Or you can transpose the Voyager higher and play low notes to take advantage of this - like a sample and hold effect...

Have fun

Steve D

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:16 pm

THanks for that infotmation, Steve. I sent you a PM.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.