analogue sequencer - will i do voyager damage?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
gosh

analogue sequencer - will i do voyager damage?

Post by gosh » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:28 pm

Hey everyone!
First post so..to set the scene...
I'm new to this forum as just picked up a voyager - anniversary edition...wow! What can i say..I wish I'd bitten the bullet earlier and not f*cked about with so many other synths trying to get sounds like it!
I'm into electronic stuff, all sorts, but lots of techno and acid..2 of my fave producers are bodzin and minilogue and althought they are fairly different producers they hvae a lot of moog all over them..I've been trying to achieve it with dave smiths and whilst they were great..they just couldn't get me close to those sounds. Anyway, so far, loving it stupidly much..more than i thought i would so!

Now for the first question!

I want to get a doepfer maq16/3 into the equation that i've been borrowing off a friend. I used to use it with midi but now I have a moog with the cv and gate in's i'd like to start experimenting a bit more. I'm fairly new to CV tbh but have been doing lots of reading (just when I was getting the hang of midi, nrpn, sysex etc...sigh!) and obvioulsy i don't want to damage the voyager by not using the correct voltages!

From what i can tell the cv outputs from the doepfer +/- 5v will be fine for the voyager but it's the gate input i'm worried about..the doepfer sends 8 volts and I the voyager accepts 5v. Am i going to screw the voyager by using it? I know the the doepfer can be modded at factory for moog s-type trigger..what is that? I can't modd it anyway as it's my mates (!) but it would be good to know!

Also, what of things like MFB Step 64 and urzwerg? I know they hvae been discussed on here before (i've read the posts) but no-one seems to confirm whether the cv/gate side will work without damaging the moog?

Failing this, can anyone recommend a analogue sequencer suited for the moog? Most seem geared to the modular side of things whcih seem to accept higher voltages?
I have a future retro revolution - that has CV out although i think over a 10v range?! Again, will i damage voyager doing this?

Thanks for help!
G

Just Me

Re: analogue sequencer - will i do voyager damage?

Post by Just Me » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:02 pm

I have an MAQ 16/3 and have had no issues using it with the voyager. I do find, however that I use the MIDI to clock the voyager and 1 or 2 rows VIA CC's to control things like resonance or Modulation routes. Never seem to use more than 1 row into a CV input. (I use all 3 rows with my modular because I have a sequential switch to select them based on clock divisions.) If you are worried, run the gate through an attenuator. (Either on your CP-251 or just make one from a potentiometer or resistor. (You can make attenuated cables expressly for your gates by putting the resistor inside the shell of the 1/4" plug. Just mark them so you don't use them for something else, you'll get wonky results if you do. Won't hurt anything. Rat Shack used to sell them but they are no longer in a catalog.)
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

gosh

Post by gosh » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:41 pm

thanks for the reply..so are you saying you don't bother using cv from the maq with the voyager at all (just midi and cc) or that you only use 1 row..in which case is that pitch cv normally?

I don't have a CP-251 and not loooking to spend anymore money at the moment! Eek! When you say "Won't hurt anything" do you mean by using the attenuated cables?
I know that you probably can't guarentee i won't do any harm by using the +8 volt straight into voyager but am i worrying about nothing and in reality it won't do it any harm?
Or are attenuated cables ( or attenuation of the signal in someway) a must?
Thank you, appreciate your time/help,
Geoff

bunnyman

Post by bunnyman » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:00 pm

I use the Maq 16/3 also and have had no problems using the CVs (or the MIDI) w/ my Voyager Sig edition! It's a freakin' fabulous sequencer, BTW... :D

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:50 pm

I have a Future Retro 777. It is the same sequencer as the Revolution. I use it all the time with no issues.

I also use/love and highly recommend the DotCom Q119. It is fantastic!!!

Welcome to the forum BTW!!! :mrgreen:
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

gosh

Post by gosh » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:13 am

Thanks guys! :-)

magneticweb

Post by magneticweb » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:47 am

shouldnt the MAQ be jumped to -5/+5?? or get the s-trigger mod?
im talking about using a MAQ w/an old school voyager.
any help is much appreciated
Last edited by magneticweb on Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
voyager OS, cp-251, vx-351, doepfer maq 3/16 (x2), mf-105, korg ms-10 (x2), SCI prophet 600, roland rs-101

magneticweb

Post by magneticweb » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:50 pm

anyone?!?? please help!
voyager OS, cp-251, vx-351, doepfer maq 3/16 (x2), mf-105, korg ms-10 (x2), SCI prophet 600, roland rs-101

bunnyman

Post by bunnyman » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:53 pm

Old school voyager uses gate, not s-trigger (like a Model D, for instance). Your MAQ 16/3 puts out CV (~0.25V-5.25V)/gate (0/+8V). It'll work just fine: it has for me using the CV/Gate from my MAQ w/ my Sig Voyager...

magneticweb

Post by magneticweb » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:37 pm

hey thanks a lot for this response.
i have been using an older model (not exactly sure, but it is a RED led version) and i have a difficult time keeping everything in tune, it really kind of irks me. i am actually in the middle of a large american/canadian/european tour w/psych rockers caribou right now, and my MAQ 3/16 started acting insane on the road (it was damaged in an overnight shipment, and my girlfriend didnt get it insured!! i cannot express the frustration so i am just being nice and calm about it) so i purchased a 3.0 w/blue leds, so hopefully i will have better luck keeping everything in tune.

so my next question would be how would i sync the midi murf with this MAQ?? is that even do-able??

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:11 pm

It will clock to 96PPQ in MIDI or send gates in any resolution you set. You can also set a row to a CC to sync. There a ton of ways.
A MAQ will always seem a tad Wonky if you run Modes as A3 or R3 and above for note data as the knobs settings get finer and finer as you go up in range. If you aren't dead on it will quantize to the note above or below if there is any drift. Also, you may have to scale it with the CP-251 mixer or fine tune the Moog to it as the CV output of the MAQ is offset about .025V up,
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

existenz

Post by existenz » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:39 am

Hi i'm a new voyager owner, so excited and proud to be able to write here as a moog owner! Before i was only reading and reading and dreaming and dreamin to be able one day of asking things about my moog! So finally this day is arrived, i've lost a lot of things to have a voyager(my girlfriend) but this is love! ehehe
So the first qustion is do you know the music from outer space 16 step sequencer? I'm buildin one and reading this i haven't realize if the cv inputs of the voyager are 1v/octave and the gate is compatible with this sequencer?
Thanks a lot, all the best!
p.s.sorry for my bad english
Nicola
Voyager electric blue, Vx-351, Cp-251, Ring modulator, Murf, Phaser, Freqbox.

bradley103082

Post by bradley103082 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:47 am

I also have a sequencer question so I figure I'll ask here instead of starting a new thread. I found a voice of saturn sequencer on ebay and am awaiting delivery. So when it arrives, how do I use it to trigger my voyager OS? Where my LP has a kb gate input, the voyager only has kb gate output. What do I need for the voyager to have kb gate input? vx 351? Thanks.
Voyager Old School, Little Phatty Stage II, Minitaur, Etherwave Theremin Whitewash, MF-101, 102, 103, 104Z, 105M, 107, CP-251, VX-351

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:47 am

bradley103082 wrote:What do I need for the voyager to have kb gate input? vx 351? Thanks.
Turn the red rocker switch in the volume envelope to "ON/EXTERNAL" (on your Voyager)
On the back of Voyager.... by the audio output jacks.... the is a section called ENV.
There is a blue jack titled "GATE" (inbetween RATE and RELEASE jacks)
Plug into that.

What you are doing is trigging the VOLUME envelope's gate.

Enjoy!!!!
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).