Ribbon Controller

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Niko

Ribbon Controller

Post by Niko » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:24 am

I would like to expand my Voyager by a ribbon controller. My old one (model 1150) suits nicely with my Mini Moog D but cannot be used directly with the Voyager (S-trigger and rear Mini Moog power supply).
Is there any ribbon controller available which I could combine with the Voyager? I've seen photographs of a Kurzweil and a Doepfer unit but I don't know how I could actually could hook them onto the Voyager.
Mini Moog Ribbon Controller Model 1150.jpg
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered" - No. 6

Where is the tutti button on this instrument? ...

LWG

Re: Ribbon Controller

Post by LWG » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:10 am

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:54 pm

The Appendage
http://mypeoplepc.com/members/scottnoan ... /id35.html
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-38547.html

It's DIY, but would be worth the $$$ to get it custom built. With the CV capabilities of the voyager it would make one hell of a contoller. It can be used as a standard ribbon controller too.

The Walking Stick suggested above is the best thing I've seen on the market. At least you get a 2nd CV.

52weeks

Post by 52weeks » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:39 am

I also highly recommend the Walking Stick. He's slowing down production on them in favour of a newer, bigger model, so I'd say act quick, if you're interested.

I have footage of one being used on stage, with the Voyager's sound going out through a delay pedal -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5QqBACX ... re=related
@1:44 - 2:50

It's not a great example, since it's only controlling the pitch, and not taking advantage of a 2nd CV. It does illustrate the attenuator, though (each CV gets its own attenuator). There's also a gate toggle switch for either quick or gradual pressure release.

I don't have either the VX-351 or the CP-251, but from what I understand, it plays incredibly nice with these devices, as well :D

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:00 pm

+1 Walking Stick!!

Niko

Post by Niko » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:19 am

many thanks for the replies and the suggestions. I've contacted Psionic Soundworks already and I'm going to purchase a 500mm 2 voltage unit which offers me position-VCO controlling and a kind of triggering using the VCA by the other voltage derived by the pressure sensitivity.
Does anybody knows how fast this triggering will be? I understand that the pressure function starts when I contact the ribbon, but with a low (lowest) voltage. This voltage become higher if I press harder.
The only problem for me is the logistical aspect since I've no experience with shippments from abroad. Therefore I prefer to have a shop next to me. Anyway in that particular case I'll expand my experiences...
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered" - No. 6

52weeks

Post by 52weeks » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:40 am

For the pressure sensitivity, there should be a toggle switch that controls how fast the triggering will be. One is gradual triggering (say, for a slow-ish filter sweep), while the other is quite fast.

Think of the pressure sensitive one plugged into volume*. The slow release allows you to do volume swells or tremolos, while the quick setting basically turns the sound on or off, when you want (so you can have the voyager be silent until you press the ribbon hard enough). I believe there's still a tiny amount of lag if you press it slowly enough even on the quick setting, but this should never be an issue. I could be remembering wrong, too, so someone feel free to correct me.

That's all assuming the model you're getting has the toggle switch as seen in this pic, the "switch to alter the response curve of the pressure sensor - from fast, gate-like response, to a slow/gradual controlled response"
http://www.psionicsoundworks.com/files/ ... 5019/8.jpg

*dumbed down for my purposes, not yours ;)

Niko

Post by Niko » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:36 am

I've got now my new Walking Stick ribbon controller. With the wooden design it fits nicely to my Voyager, even the poti-knobs are in a similar shape than the Moog ones. The mentioned toggle switch (thanks 52weeks) expands the possibilities in operation efficiantly. The sensitivity response allows real musical expressions rather that simple note selections. And it works in a plug and play mode, no plug and pray at all. However it requires a small adjustement with the Panel-Edit, Env Gate-mode programming (I'm using currently the 3.6 beta version) and it works just great.
My Walking Stick has two almost 3m long cables (one used for pitch and one for volume) which gives me the freedom to compete now with our guitar and bass players or let me lay comfortably on the couch whithout a heavy Voyager on my lap. A simple cable extension of the standard TRS cables is possible too.
My original concern about the actual shippment to Germany wasn't necessary. I applied for a shippment via UPS which made all of the awkward customs clearance and VAT procedure. And they delivered very fast directly to my home. In that content I have to thank you Joe from Psionic Soundworks for his great assistance and help herewith and the open and helpful technical conversations in advance.
So yes, I also can very much recommend this product as a significant and (certainly for me) essential addition to a Mini Moog Voyager.

Prime NL

Post by Prime NL » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:46 am

Very good choice (i have one too) and good to hear that you like your walking stick.

And yes...Joe is a great person to deal with.... :)

52weeks

Post by 52weeks » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:59 am

Joe Rocks, even if he pretty much talked me into longing for the VX-351 and CP-251. Niko, I'm glad you're enjoying your controller. What was the adjustment you had to make? Did Joe know about this, or was it something you figured out on your own?

Unfiltered

Post by Unfiltered » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:58 pm

I have a drum controller, and the same problem with the power,s-trigger. I usually use the model D for power, and use one of the 1/4" connectors to CP-251 attenuator to use as a gate into voyager. Is there a workaround for this, or a way to covert a male s-trigger to 1/4"? Ive seen the synthfool 1/4' to strigger, but that will not work with a male s-trigger.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:34 pm

Unfiltered wrote:I have a drum controller, and the same problem with the power,s-trigger. I usually use the model D for power, and use one of the 1/4" connectors to CP-251 attenuator to use as a gate into voyager. Is there a workaround for this, or a way to covert a male s-trigger to 1/4"? Ive seen the synthfool 1/4' to strigger, but that will not work with a male s-trigger.
Just make an adaptor rig. The s trigger is just a short to ground. So, make a small box that has a Cinch-Jones to connect your controller to and a 1/4" out to go to your synth. Inside put a circuit that works a relay or transistor switch that is state changed by the shorting of the s-trig. You can use the power from the Voyager to operate it or you can battery power it with a voltage regulator to drop the 9V to 5V for the output. There was a circuit on the S.COM website but the link is bad now.
Try this topic from here
http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopi ... 10&start=0
And look at this picture..
Attachments
S2vtrig.gif
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Niko

Post by Niko » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:11 am

Niko, I'm glad you're enjoying your controller. What was the adjustment you had to make? Did Joe know about this, or was it something you figured out on your own?

Hi 52weeks,

the mentioned adjustment was simply to enable the gate-on function with the Voyager. My initial preset were set to "off" herewith. When I toggled the keyoard on/external switch (Env. Gate), bottom right, it didn't worked. After the changing now it works fine. The Walking Stick pressure sensor allows me to use the Ribbon Controller like a triggered device. I've contacted the two leads to the red pitch-input and to the red vol-input.

52weeks

Post by 52weeks » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:49 am

Niko,

I understand now. Thanks for the reply!