Voyager Expander.

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Kelly

Voyager Expander.

Post by Kelly » Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:56 pm

I was just foolishly trying to determine how to distort my budget to allow for a second Voyager to act as a thickener for my first when it occured to me that I really just want an expander. Now, there are a lot of analog boxes out there that will do this already (I have a bunch myself) but how about a real Voyager expander, complete with memory. It would be doubly cool if you could sync the memory so that patches on the voyager could be assigned to patches on the expander, ie. If I want 3 of my voyager patches to have the same expander patch, switching to any of those patches on my voyager would switch to the appropriate expander patch. Also, in this way, you could make special patches that weren't complete without both the Voyager and its expander in tandem. The audio could plug into the Voyagers audio in, or via the expansion port if possible, or just act alone in that regard. Pluses would be added for on-face (normalised) semi-modular patch points, perhaps slots for optional analog cartridges -- like the Studio Electronics system does with filters -- for the guts done the same way of MoogerFoogers (in this way, various settings and assignments of voltage controlling them could be saved to the memory). Anyway... I will dream on, but hopefully my dream will trigger a spark somewhere at Moog Music ;O)

Kelly.

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:17 pm

Sorry, had one more thought to add here. In what could be another future-retro coupe by Moog, perhaps an optional wooden case in your wood of choice suitable for stacking your voyager on could be made. What better way to conveniently place the thing given the old-school styling of the Mini case, than 'the stack'? Of course, you make a rack mount version as well, but heck, you've already paid a couple hundred for the walnut on your Voyager, why stop now?

------------------_
-----------------/ /
----------------/ /
--_________/ /_____
--|_______________| <---voyager
-/
/_________________| <---expander

w00t!

Kelly.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:55 pm

As the Voyager electronics are contained in the hinged panel (save for the pitch and mod wheels and keyboard), it probably wouldn't be too difficult to create an expansion module. The 'form factor' of such a module would be the same as the current panel - same size, same layout - just a slightly different case. Would likely be costly like a Voyager, but not quite as expensive. Not sure of the market for such a item, but Moog might be willing to crank out a few as custom orders - a true boutique synth! I'd buy one.

I think you may be onto something...

Greg

suthnear

Post by suthnear » Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:48 pm

There have been noises about this for a while

http://www.the-gas-station.com/messages ... =39#502514

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the voyager part of that was a keyboard-less voyager (doubt it would be a rackmount, though, as even without the centre section the voyager's panel is quite a bit bigger than 19"). Seems like a logical way for moog to increase their pile :)

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:16 pm

Some very cool speculation on the gas station site. Seems like a keyboardless Voyager would be a no-brainer given the existing design - just a bit of repackaging to make it into an expansion module. They (Moog) already have the firmware ready to work with multiple Voyagers.

Guess i'll start saving my pennies and see what they announce in January. ;-)

Greg