@ MC: voyager and andromeda

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
suthnear

@ MC: voyager and andromeda

Post by suthnear » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:21 am

MC,

I am thinking of buying an andromeda (well, I want one, I am just not sure I can afford it) and if I do this will require a rearrangement of my studio. What I would like is what you posted here:

http://www.the-gas-station.com/messages ... d_id=59303&

What are you using? I had thought of this arrangement but I've not seen (locally) a keybaod stand that I would trust to place the heavy voyager just above the equally valuable andromeda :)

tia

Pierre

Demokid

Post by Demokid » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:58 am

Hi!

I’m a proud owner of an Andromeda. I have had it for just about two years and I like it. It took about six month before a started to get a grasp of all the fun things you can do with it so give it time. I still create new exiting sounds with it… this sizer will grow.

I will add some links to some basic Andromeda sounds in mp3 format.

Regards
Demokid
Gearlist: Andromeda A6, Emu E4XT Ultra, Korg MS20, Minimoog Model D (incl.MIDI), Minimoog Voyager AE, Roland Jupiter-8 (MIDI), RE-301, Prophet~5 (Rev3.3 incl MIDI), Poly Evolver Keyboard, Pro~One, Prophet 08, Synthesizers.com Custom Studio-44

suthnear

Post by suthnear » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:18 am

Demokid - don't worry about the links: I had an a6 in my studio for a few weeks a while ago and I definitely like it. The question is whether or not I can afford it (well, it's not a question because I know the answer, but ...). I guess I am just trying to find out what other costs there will be - like really expensive keyboard stands, for instance. But thanks anyway :)

MC

Post by MC » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:49 am

In case the pic doesn't appear in the URL

That is a Bespeco stand, they're made in Italy. I found this one in a store in Rochester NY (USA). It is the BP100T stand:

They are very sturdy stands, and that tier bracket uses alligator teeth for a positive lock so it will not slip. I had the stand for two years now and no problem whatsoever. If you gig, don't lose the handscrews!!!

This is the site I found with Google http://www.bespeco.net/

They also make a CV pedal that is more rugged than the MF pedal

suthnear

Post by suthnear » Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:38 am

MC,

Thanks - I actually have a bespeco crocodile xstand but there wasn't quite enough clearance between the bottom level and the next when I had the a6 on it (as a result the knobs at the back of the a6 weren't quite as accessible as I'd have liked). Yet the extension of your stand looks to be about the same length as the one I have. Can you make the extension longer and shorter? There seem to be protrusions on each side which may serve for this...

thanks

base1001

Post by base1001 » Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:48 am

i dont trust that stand, the voyager has pegs on the bottom for a reason... imo. unless there happens to be a board underneath, well i suppose you could put a board underneath w/ a cloth to sure of no pressure or weight marks by those awful pegs that look like they holding the voyager in place(abuse imo). damn signature edition mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! plus you have to stand, and can sometimes be a hassle having to frequently get out of chair too many times. i dunno.
[color=blue][i][size=84]sel[/size][/i][/color]

MC

Post by MC » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:57 am

The extension does have adjustable height and depth, if that is what you mean by longer and shorter. The extension arms that the keyboard sits on are a fixed length. This is sturdier than an X stand.

base, the stand's height is adjustable to use standing or sitting. The pegs on the extension have rubber tips meaning zero damage to my Voyager SE after two years.

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:03 pm

I have for the last few years been using another fine Italian stand, the Quik-Lok QLX-22. Image URL: http://www.quiklok.com/400x400/sku_QLX_22.jpg

It is a X-style but is double braced, and has supported my Jupiter-6 on the lower rack and a Voyager above with no trouble whatsoever. The Jupiter and Voyager together probably weigh in at about 100 Lbs. of analog might, so that might be a stand worth considering for your application as well.

Tilt on the upper tier is adjustable but height is not;

[EDIT] I take it back, rotating the upper arms changes the height of the top tier. There is a separate adjustment for tilt also. [/ EDIT]

however I have not noticed any problem using the uppermost controls on the Jupiter so there is enough clearance for me. Of course, at this point I could probably use most of those controls blindfolded so maybe I just haven't noticed. It might be different with a new keyboard with which I was less familiar. :)
Last edited by Amos on Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

base1001

Post by base1001 » Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:41 pm

oh. nm then.
[color=blue][i][size=84]sel[/size][/i][/color]

Demokid

Post by Demokid » Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:57 am

[quote="MC"][/quote]

I was wondering about the knobs on the Andromeda, they don’t seam to be the default ones. Have you replaced them yourself? Looks almost like Memorymoog knobs. Do they have better feeling to them?

Regards
Demokid
Gearlist: Andromeda A6, Emu E4XT Ultra, Korg MS20, Minimoog Model D (incl.MIDI), Minimoog Voyager AE, Roland Jupiter-8 (MIDI), RE-301, Prophet~5 (Rev3.3 incl MIDI), Poly Evolver Keyboard, Pro~One, Prophet 08, Synthesizers.com Custom Studio-44

MC

Post by MC » Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:13 pm

I was wondering about the knobs on the Andromeda
Good eagle eyes :) I did indeed replace the stock Andromeda knobs with Rogan knobs, same type used on later Moog synth like the Memorymoog. They do feel better, not as flimsy as the stock knobs. The small ones especially make a difference.

I found them while on a business trip - the shop I was visiting had a pile of them they didn't use anymore so I bought some. It ran me $200 but the difference in performance was worth it.

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:24 am

Eagle eyes indeed. But good idea! Its a weird thing that the feel of a synth affects my enjoyment of it, and that hollow sound when my hands brush past the bigger Andromeda knobs always left the wrong taste in my mind. I think I'll do the same thing myself, only I may get them to match the ones on my Vger ;O)

Kelly.

MC

Post by MC » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:28 am

Voyager, model D mini's, and modulars used knobs made by Cosmo, which are unfortunately harder to find in small quantity than Rogans.

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:49 am

http://www.cosmocorp.com/kcat-search1.cfm :D

Thanks for the tip! Hmm... I've e-mailed them about grab-bag sized orders. I assume I'll be referred to an electronics outlet somewhere. A fun little quest will come out of this I think, heh.

Kelly.

suthnear

Post by suthnear » Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:04 am

Kelly,

Please keep us posted on this.

Ta