left-right outputs are not equal

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
fraktaldj

left-right outputs are not equal

Post by fraktaldj » Sun May 30, 2010 7:23 am

hello thanks in advance..

got my second hand RME yesterday, and found that left output is about 1.2db louder than right.

is it normal? or should it be perfect equal? I'm so afraid. and can I make it match each other?

any help will be appreciated. thanks.

Just Me

Re: left-right outputs are not equal

Post by Just Me » Sun May 30, 2010 8:24 am

The Filter Spacing control will move the balance around. They should not be 'equal' as there are differnt signals from the filter output left and right to make a stereo signal out of a mono signal. (at least that is my understanding)
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Klopfgeist

Post by Klopfgeist » Sun May 30, 2010 1:25 pm

If the spacing control is at 0 and the filters are set to dual lowpass, the levels should pretty much be equal, but it is analog after all.
So this thing only plays one note?

http://soundcloud.com/unarius
http://www.youtube.com/user/plague1715

nms

Post by nms » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:21 pm

I have a brand new RME and am getting the same thing. right channel is around 1.5db louder on all patches. that's pretty significant. this doesn't seem right. can anyone confirm that theirs doesn't do this? even on an init patch with filter spacing at 0 it happens.
Voyager RME | Virus Ti2 Polar | Juno 60 | EL8X Distressor | UBK Clariphonic | Lynx Hilo | Motu 828mk2 | Focal Twin6be

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:13 pm

I was under the impression that the right channel was "different" in regards to being more like the original mini. I didn't know what specifically made it different but I have read all the time about people reccomending using the right output for a change.

Can someone verify this?

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:32 am

This is what I get as well. There could be a sonic reason e.g. different phasing which occurs when the levels are unbalanced.

In your DAW: just normalize after recording.

Otherwise just use mono.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:00 am

I wouldn't be testing the gain difference with presets. I think you could get a better idea by going to the preset default setting and then make sure all settings (especially the spacing) are at default as well. No pedals, no inputs. Being that the Voyager is analogue, I would suspect there should be some difference but nothing major.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

nms

Post by nms » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:15 pm

as I said above.. "even on an init patch with filter spacing at 0 it happens."
1.5 db is a pretty significant difference for me.
anyways.. can anyone else confirm that their voyager either does this or doesn't do it?
Voyager RME | Virus Ti2 Polar | Juno 60 | EL8X Distressor | UBK Clariphonic | Lynx Hilo | Motu 828mk2 | Focal Twin6be

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:47 pm

Sorry, wasn't careful in my reading.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

Unfiltered

Post by Unfiltered » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:37 pm

1.5 db is pretty negligible. You have to have some IID (Interaural intensity difference) to have a stereo image. Our ears are able to hear a difference at a minimum of 1 db, so 1.5db is not much. But that's what the spacing control is for. Even without it, there is the pan input, just hook up a potentiometer and move it toward the quiter side a little. Or record both separately. I like to experiment with the stereo image/pan/spacing with a mixer, delay through left and right clean, and using LFO into pan can do crazy stuff. This is one very cool feature of the voyager, real time tweaking of stereo. Those who aren't familiar with stereo theory should delve into it, it's pretty powerful.

edit: actually 2db is the minimum detetcable difference, so 1.5 db is not recognizable.
Last edited by Unfiltered on Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MC

Post by MC » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:45 pm

The Voyager is a right handed instrument, that's why one output is louder than the other.

There is a left handed model with the outputs reversed, the wheels are on the right side of the case, the keyboard flipped so that low notes trigger high pitches, and the built-in metronome goes TOCK-TICK

Yeah, I'm a lot of help :(
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

nms

Post by nms » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:47 pm

for thick leads and basses I wouldn't say 1.5db L/R difference on a loud constant sound that carries your track is negligable. it causes clipping on one side by a good margin. what do you mean by pan input and hooking up a potentiometer? this is done internally?

I'm still unsure on whether or not it's designed this way or if mine needs servicing. can anyone else confirm? I have a hard time believing that every patch right down to the bare init is meant to be panned left.

Unfiltered

Post by Unfiltered » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:51 pm

MC wrote:The Voyager is a right handed instrument, that's why one output is louder than the other.

There is a left handed model with the outputs reversed, the wheels are on the right side of the case, the keyboard flipped so that low notes trigger high pitches, and the built-in metronome goes TOCK-TICK

Yeah, I'm a lot of help :(

I have owned a left-handed sleeping bag since I was 18.

Klopfgeist

Post by Klopfgeist » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:29 am

If clipping is the problem, then it's not the voyager's fault.
So this thing only plays one note?

http://soundcloud.com/unarius
http://www.youtube.com/user/plague1715

jon_kull

Post by jon_kull » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:21 pm

Just Me wrote:The Filter Spacing control will move the balance around. They should not be 'equal' as there are differnt signals from the filter output left and right to make a stereo signal out of a mono signal. (at least that is my understanding)
What he said.
Klopfgeist wrote:but it is analog after all.
And what he said.

My Voyager OS favors the left channel. I have to adjust spacing for a balanced signal as it's not balanced at zero. My Performer and RME (when I still had them) were the same way from what I remember. It's analog. It can be close to perfect but will never be perfect. Perhaps there's a trimmer on the PCB that can be adjusted...