Interesting model D / Voyager comparision

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
MC

Re: Interesting model D / Voyager comparision

Post by MC » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:13 pm

Yes.

Nice to see you here, Don!
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Don Solaris

Post by Don Solaris » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:53 am

MC wrote:Yes.

Nice to see you here, Don!
Cheers!

Here's why i asked. The Voyager that i work on, in order to open the filter, you can not just fully set the Cutoff knob to max. You have to set Filter Envelope amount to 20% (filter envelope attack=0, sustain=max).

At that point, the filter is fully open.

It would be interesting if you and others can confirm this.
Voyager Old School serial:500
Moog Minimoog serial:3438

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:23 pm

Don Solaris wrote:It would be interesting if you and others can confirm this.
Yes and no. If the keyboard control amount is also at zero, then yes the filter does not open fully with just the cutoff ammount. The same with all three Voyagers here. So with no added voltage from the envelope, kbd tracking, mod buss, or any other assignable CV source, the filter cutoff knob does not cover the full range.
On the Mini the cutoff will cover the whole range without any need for other voltages. However the Moog 904A is similar to the Voyager where the fixed control voltage ammount will not sweep the full range without some external CV added.
Always thought the Voyager filter with the HP/LP configuration was closer to a copy of the modular filter combo 904ABC then the Minimoog?
Bob's original ladder filter.
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six

MC

Post by MC » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:25 pm

No it's not the 904ABC combo. The Voyager HP is simply the LP output summed with unprocessed signal, the result yielding phase cancelation of the lower frequencies in the passband of the LP filter hence HP response. It's an old modular trick (that's why there are bipolar outputs on some of the modules).
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Don Solaris

Post by Don Solaris » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:51 pm

CZ Rider wrote:The same with all three Voyagers here.
Thanks.

MC wrote:It has been known that the model D with the filter wide open possesses a top end sheen that the Voyager is lacking.
I wonder is difference that big once you apply 20% of VCF env depth on Voyager.

Have you tested it that way as well? I think they should be both over 20kHz area.

MC

Post by MC » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:14 pm

Don Solaris wrote:
CZ Rider wrote:The same with all three Voyagers here.
Thanks.

MC wrote:It has been known that the model D with the filter wide open possesses a top end sheen that the Voyager is lacking.
I wonder is difference that big once you apply 20% of VCF env depth on Voyager.

Have you tested it that way as well? I think they should be both over 20kHz area.
Yes I did test with cutoff wide open and VCF env depth applied. It doesn't get the same high end sheen of the Minimoog.

Don Solaris

Post by Don Solaris » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:32 am

MC wrote:Yes I did test with cutoff wide open and VCF env depth applied. It doesn't get the same high end sheen of the Minimoog.
Damn. I like that old VCF/VCA sound more than all the advanced features. Still can't decide should i touch my virgin Voyager and go with modifications or simply buy a Mini.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:28 pm

Don, I did exactly that: I sold my Voyager Old School to buy a real Minimoog D circa 1975.
Not to take anything away from the Voyager, which is a fantastic instrument from the standpoint of features and sound, but sometimes only the original high end sheen will do... :wink:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion