phatty owner, wants voyager, has questions...

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
dtray187

phatty owner, wants voyager, has questions...

Post by dtray187 » Fri May 28, 2010 4:43 pm

I really just need to know if the voyager can make the same type of sync sound as the phatty, with only 2 ocs, hard synced, and attack as fast as it goes.

It should on paper,

also If you run the output , back in trick, will the overload sound similar?

I cant afford to have both, There are only 3 patches I really use on the phatty and they are all hard sync with a little overload.

I guess I want to know if the osc's and envelopes sound as fat and punchy on the voyager, mostly with 2 osc sounds.

Thanks alot!!

Kent

Re: phatty owner, wants voyager, has questions...

Post by Kent » Sat May 29, 2010 1:17 am

I've never played a Lil' Phatty. However, I've got a Voyager and use the sync sounds quite a bit. I also use the feedback trick from time-to-time and it works as expected.

In short, the Voyager will do what you are asking.

psicolor

Post by psicolor » Sat May 29, 2010 4:27 am

dtray187 wrote: I cant afford to have both, There are only 3 patches I really use on the phatty and they are all hard sync with a little overload.
Just questioning myself, why you want a voyager?
http://www.psicolor.de

dtray187

Post by dtray187 » Sat May 29, 2010 9:17 am

Well, the phatty is pretty limited for the types of sound I want, what it does, it does well but gets very boring, no stereo out so the sound can move, no dedicated noise, no third osc....kind of very boring to program at times, but I do love the overload, without that it wouldn't be exciting at all.

If I need a smooth sound the voyager has me covered, I just want to make sure it can replace that one sound the phatty does very well for me.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat May 29, 2010 10:51 am

You might have seen this...
SteveD wrote:Hi All -

There are two components to the special sauce known as the LP "overload" (note - named after the overload light on the original minimoog mixer).

The first is positive feedback in the mixer before the filter. This is related to but a little different than the old output to audio input trick to fatten up a minimoog sound (thus the name, overload). The difference is in the fact that the signal fed back into the the mixer is the mixer output itself, not the instrument's audio out. Before the signal goes back into the mixer, it is passed through a voltage controlled clipper, akin to the VCA for the external audio in on the voyager. This circuit goes from no clipping, to soft clipping to hard clipping as the gain is increased. The idea here was to add extra harmonics to the mixer output BEFORE the filter. An aside - have you ever used the external audio input of the Voyager as a distortion? It can be quite nice.

The second is a post-filter asymetrical clipping circuit. This is so if you crank up the filter resonance, the post-filter clipping adds a nice nastiness to the sine component of the filter's resonance.

The two elements are controlled in tandem as you turn up the Overload control. There are actually more than these two sources that contribute to the sound, because you have distortion in the mixer output stage, the filter input stage and the output VCA stages as well - in the LP anything in the signal path post-oscillator waveshaping gets hit by the Overload...

So you can't get exactly the LP's overload sound w/ the voyager, but there are a few strategies to try one at a time or in combination.

1) add a device that has soft clipping in the mixer out/filter in insert jack.

2) use the output to input mixer feedback trick (just DON'T use the headphone output because a mono cable shorts one of the headphone outputs to ground and is hard on the headphone amp)

3) add a distortion device AFTER the Voyager output for post-filter clipping.

Clipping sounds on an analog synth is a tricky affair, because not all sounds benefit from clipping (like a square wave - clipping a square wave doesn't do much) and too much clipping often results in square waves... Best results are w/ soft clipping on triangle or sawtooth waves, and for post-filter clipping try adding some resonance to the filter to make the clipping more evident.

There are many ways to mangle a waveform - all are fair game! These are just a couple of thoughts for y'all. YMMV. Enjoy.

SD
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

monokit

Post by monokit » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:23 pm

dtray187 wrote:Well, the phatty is pretty limited for the types of sound I want, what it does, it does well but gets very boring, no stereo out so the sound can move,
Add a stereo delay unit...and a reverb unit...