E Drone w/ Microtones

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Elflord

E Drone w/ Microtones

Post by Elflord » Tue May 25, 2010 3:55 am

I just love Osc 2 moving in half tones in this patch against the normal equal tempered Osc 1. Can anyone tell me how to create this please?

SteveD

Re: E Drone w/ Microtones

Post by SteveD » Tue May 25, 2010 6:03 pm

Hi Elflord -

Yes - I enjoyed figuring out how to make that patch. The key is in using the pot mapping function to map the keyboard pitch negatively @ 25% or 50% to the Osc.2 Octave. (I forget the exact amount and don't have a voyager w/ that patch on it handy right this moment)

Thus when you play up the keyboard the effect is attenuating the amount that the keyboard affects the pitch of Osc. 2. The keyboard voltage is still output normally, but the octave voltage decreases a small amount as you play up the keyboard. The keyboard voltage and octave voltages are summed internally, so w/ simple math you result in a linear scale that's more than 12-semitones/octave. I think I did this w/ the microtonal bells preset too... With the microtonal bells preset use the touch surface to "retune" the voicing of the bells.

It's one of the ways to play around with getting microtonal sounds out of the Voyager... You can go to the edit mode pot mapping function to see the details, or if you have the editor it shows you the preset at a glance.

Glad you liked that sound!!!

Cheers,
SD

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue May 25, 2010 10:08 pm

I didn't know that you could do that without the 351. I guess theres still stuff in the menu that Ive yet to mess with.

Thanks Steve.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Elflord

Post by Elflord » Wed May 26, 2010 5:28 am

Awesome. Thanks Steve. I'm about to dive right into a whole new world of voyager discovery! Woo Hoo!

LWG

Post by LWG » Fri May 28, 2010 3:28 am

Hello,

The technique can also be applied to sync tones. Traditionally, the synced drone application could be done on
Minimoogs that had been modified with dual sync (the ability to sync osc's 2 & 3 to osc 1).
Because the keybd cv could be switched off for osc 3 on the Minimoog D, it allowed the use of osc 3 for
fixed formant tones when sync was applied to that osc.

Something similar can also be done on the Vger using the same potmappng technique Steve describes, but applying it to
only oscillator 2, then turning on sync.

Regards,

-L