What does everyone here use for Recording?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
modulagirl

VCR's for recording.

Post by modulagirl » Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:40 pm

Hi, I have tried lot's of VHS VCR's for recording, but without success, I have always got lots of clicks and glitches, don't know why, the machines that I bought were by Panasonic, and always top of the range (£600-£900) with manual level meters. A friend has a couple of Sony PCM F1 machines (Betamax) with the decoder, they are great but outdated, and the tapes are difficult to find, plus they are unreliable now.

Take care,

Sonia.

Subtronik

Post by Subtronik » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:05 pm

I accidentally discovered the fat, wet richness of VHS tape when it was all I had to record with back in '92.

It actually enhanced the sound of a Yamaha DX27 five fold.
Just Me wrote:Recording to the VHS HiFi scanned stereo tracks gives better dynamic range than a CD and unmeasureable wow and flutter. It is analog and equivalent to several hundred IPS tape speed.
[url=http://www.myspace.com/subtronik]My Music[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/39599873@N07/show/]Voyager Photos[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/subtronik]Voyager Videos[/url]

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:24 pm

I use a Roland VS840ex (zip disk). Im about to procure a Peavey 14 USB mixer from layaway.

I just run the RCA output from that to the pc's Factory recording "Creative Recorder" to master it and Im satisfied with that.

I prefer the console based units rather than pure software/pc interface.

I record electronic music soundscapes, jazz, funk, blues, whatever genre I feel like composing in.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:30 pm

I use a Revere open reel tape deck and/or VHS tape. When I feel lazy or get a quick burst of inspiration I use regular cassette. I've just about given up on recording to computer.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

meisenhower

Post by meisenhower » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:22 am

I'm primarily a jazz musician and go from playing straight ahead acoustic jazz (Miles, Trane, Monk, etc) to electric fusion (Return to Forever, Headhunters, etc).

My personal studio includes (but is not limited to) the following:

iMac G5
Protools 7.4
Apple Logic
Propellerhead Reason 4
Ableton Live 7
Digidesign 002R
Digidesign C24 Control Surface
Mackie 824HR's
Dynaudio MB 6a's
Presonus Eureka
Universal Audio LA-610 Signature
Neumann TLM -103 (pair)
Groove Tubes GT-66 (tube mic)
Mixed bag of VSTi, RTAS plugins and other software instruments: Strike, Waves Diamond, Kontakt, Arturia Minimoog V
Assorted room treatments, patch bay's and other misc goodies.
Yamaha C7 Grand Piano, 1957 Hammond B3, Hammond XK3, Kawai MP9000 Stage Piano, Fender Rhodes 73 Mk1, Yamaha CP33 Stage Piano, Yamaha Motif ES, Nord Electro 2 Sixty One, Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue, Access Virus Ti Kbd, Korg MS10

Subtronik

Post by Subtronik » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:27 pm

Got a pair of HR824's too, love em.
[url=http://www.myspace.com/subtronik]My Music[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/39599873@N07/show/]Voyager Photos[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/subtronik]Voyager Videos[/url]

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:04 pm

Akai DR8 with IB-807V and MT8.
Pair of Otari MX5050's
Akai 122 MkII
Alesis Studio 32 mixer
Rane SM26B
A rack of EQ's and a couple of quad noise gates.
pair of Furman Limiter/expander/compressors
TC electronics reverb
Lexicon, Digitech and Ibanez Digital delays
A crate of DI boxes, patchbays, vintage guitar stomp boxes, Leslies and other modifiers.

No confusers, er I mean computers.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

acorkos

Post by acorkos » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:24 pm

Fostex D160 16-track hard disk recorder
Mackie 16 channel 8-bus mixer
Lots'o outboard effects, eq's and compressors

In my home studio, the Mackie 8-bus feature allows for recording 8 tracks simultaneously with simple push-switch routing to the 8-bus master section. Or 16 tracks of simultaneous recording using the individual channel direct outs.

I also use the D160 with Mackie 1604VLZPro and Allen&Heath MixWiz16:3 mixers to record my bands live during gigs using up to 14 tracks simultaneously....saving tracks 15/16 for stereo mixdown.

Lots of fun (when I can find the time)

psicolor

Post by psicolor » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:29 am

For "quality recording" I'm using the RME Hammerfall DSP with the RME Multiface. It has 8 analog outs and 8 analog ins that work with very low latency!

The Multiface does not include mic preamps, so I use the tascam ma-8, a 19" device with 8 builtin mic preamps. The MA-8 sounds a little dull to me, but it works well and I know the problematical frequencies.

Since I have the Voyager, I try to avoid computers, because playing with real hardware is more fun. To record, I simply stomp on my digitech jamman looper pedal....
http://www.psicolor.de

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:38 am

The Yamaha MW10c mixer serves my own limited needs. This is it as far as hardware goes.

I still use Sonar 6 LE. Works well but visual interface too stuffy. I tried Qbase and Ableton live. Not quite for me. I had my hands on Reason for a while. The best commercial software IMO, but my use and knowledge of it is limited compared to pro users. Lately, I have been switching to my own homebrew recording software. Doing well so far....
Last edited by Portamental on Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

psyhead

Post by psyhead » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:52 pm

^Whoa :shock:

Im recording directly into ableton live through a motu traveller....
since i dont hav any other outboard gear i use native instruments guitar rig 3 for some vintage style reverb and delay effects which are actually pretty decent!

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:10 pm

Ditto :). I'd be interested in hearing a (resonant) filter continuously sweeping through variable slopes.

I've got a Tascam MSR-24 (1", 22 tracks + sync and Dolby S NR) mixed through a Soundcraft Studio desk. RME Fireface 800 and Cubase 5 (just arrived, thanks Nova!) for digital stuff. The best of both worlds, I reckon.

rnbeatz

Post by rnbeatz » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:28 pm

Lengai wrote:You can use a VCR with Dolby S to record with if you don't want to use a computer and want an easy and affordable way to record.
Used to do that back in the day, I think they used to call it 'Hi Fi' or something. Not all VCR's back then had superior audio quality. I'm not sure about what's out these days. I still have stuff on VHS in the archives.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:43 am

rnbeatz wrote:
Lengai wrote:You can use a VCR with Dolby S to record with if you don't want to use a computer and want an easy and affordable way to record.
Used to do that back in the day, I think they used to call it 'Hi Fi' or something. Not all VCR's back then had superior audio quality. I'm not sure about what's out these days. I still have stuff on VHS in the archives.
Any VHS from 1997 till now should be HI-FI ready. Some higher-end older models can be found at your local resale shop, for example, the RCA SelectaVision series from the early '80's. I used one of those until the main heads finally went a couple years ago. It had a total of six heads, including two for tracking, plus it was stereo and loaded with ins and outs. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

psicolor

Post by psicolor » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:43 am

Portamental wrote: Lately, I have been switching to my own homebrew recording software. Doing well so far....
Sounds interesting! Which programming language(s) did you use for it?
What are your software's key benefits?
http://www.psicolor.de