Oscillators leaking through

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
SorryEntertainer

Oscillators leaking through

Post by SorryEntertainer » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:49 pm

Having purchased an OS a couple of months ago I noticed that all 3 oscillators and also the noise generator leak through if I turn up the amp really loud, regardless of the Voyager volume knob setting. This leaked sound is pretty quiet and not really noticable when amp is played on normal volumes.

I've just noticed this accidentally when I was playing with the amp knobs. I am currently using a Roland guitar amp at home and I am yet to try the Voyager in a studio or a band setting.

I am wondering whether this leakage is normal.. By the way, when listening to the Vger through the headphones everything is completely silent. No leaks to be found.

Could someone please comment? Thanks! :)

Alex

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:28 pm

Not sure about that. Never had any experience with leakage n the OSC's. I'd say, if it only does it with that amp... get a new amp, or better yet stop using amps and use it with some monitors. If you still get leakage with monitors, there is something wrong.
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

psicolor

Re: Oscillators leaking through

Post by psicolor » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:33 am

Yes, the leakage is normal. I have the Voyager performer and here it's the same.
http://www.psicolor.de

SorryEntertainer

Post by SorryEntertainer » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:31 pm

Thanks for your responses everyone.

I've tried to run it through the direct box and headphones - zero noise unless you set the boost level of the DI to 8 or 9, which I never do. :roll:

Klopfgeist

Post by Klopfgeist » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:38 pm

Sometimes I notice that if I am making snare drums with only the noise on, when I turn it on the next day the noise will bleed through even if nothing is on in the mixer. Intitializing the patch again takes care of it.
So this thing only plays one note?

http://soundcloud.com/unarius
http://www.youtube.com/user/plague1715

Nojden

Post by Nojden » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:28 am

I´ve got a OS #350 and noticed leakage noice first time I played it through my Roland JC 120 (solid state amp), not fun at all when we do our recordings with microphones. The leakage noice will be slightly lower if I turn the osc mixer volume down to middle (default), but still it´s not good at all...my old SCI Pro-one is totally quiet through the JC, no matter how high the output volume. But when I played my OS through my old Fender showman reverb (tube amp) yesterday, with a home built speaker cabinet with old original JBL K-120, there was no osc leakage at all.....(and the sound was overall great with much more bottom and punch). And if I play the OS directly to a digital recorder (in this case Zoom MRS-8) the OS is totally quiet.

So, my conclusion is that it´s probably have something to do with the amp used, but I can´t see why my old tube amp is quiet while the Roland amp is very noicy only with the OS (not other instruments)
any suggestions/comments here?

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:50 pm

Ground loop.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Nojden

Post by Nojden » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:01 am

Just Me wrote:Ground loop.
Yeah, that might be something to consider, thanks! - I think that I actually shortened the ground in my Pro-one many years ago because of high noice due to ground loop. I´ve also done this on a new Hammond XK-1......probably not recommended but I think I must try this on the moog as well :?:

loraxman

Post by loraxman » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:03 pm

What does "ground loop" mean here? My Voyager does the same thing.

RL

Post by RL » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:18 am

loraxman wrote:What does "ground loop" mean here? My Voyager does the same thing.
Hi loraxman,
I guess it has nothing to do with an ground loop problem. Please contact Moogmusic - I guess you can adjust a trim pot to mute the output signal.
http://www.moogmusic.de/index2

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:08 am

Noise may be from many things. The VCA maynot close completely, a ground loop, trouble with the amp, trouble with cables, impedance mismatch. Since it only seems an issue with the Roland amp, I would suspect an amp grounding or impedance issue. You are using the correct input on the amp? The guitar input will be heavily overdriven by the Moog output level and that will be noisy.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

MC

Post by MC » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:30 am

The VCA does not completely shut off the audio. It may attenuate it to 60-70dB. This is by design not a defect and I don't think there is a trimpot to adjust this. This will be inaudible in a line level system but can be heard in a guitar amp or DI with high gain. If you are using a guitar amp then try this experiment: put a volume pedal between the Voyager and guitar amp and push the pedal all the way off. If the leaking goes away then it is indeed the nearly closed VCA you are hearing and you may need a noise gate. If you don't need the high gain then just keep the amp turned down.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:20 pm

using mine with line-inputs on a bell amp for stage, no real leaking problem here...
( it has been adjusted / callibrated etc by RL, so maybe that might be the difference indeed ?)

i think with the t3 i had such a problem which disappeared by using the other level output ( the low one out )