Filter Overdrive Question

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
User avatar
a.s.i.
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:56 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Filter Overdrive Question

Post by a.s.i. » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:37 am

Hi all,
Can anyone tell me the correct way to set up my Voyager to filter overdrive like the classic minimoog?
Electro Beats, Synthetic Rythms

User avatar
GregAE
Posts: 1577
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:44 pm
Location: In the studio, of course

Re: Filter Overdrive Question

Post by GregAE » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:22 am

a.s.i. wrote:Hi all,
Can anyone tell me the correct way to set up my Voyager to filter overdrive like the classic minimoog?
You might look at my article called 'Kicking It Up A Notch', which is posted on KnobTweak. The article explains he various ways that you can get the overdriven sound using various feedback techniques on the Voyager. The article is in a file called 'Kicking It Up.zip'. Find it here:

KnobTweak > Files > Voyager > Kicking It Up.zip

The zip file includes a PDF and two audio clips.

Hope this helps!

- Greg


BTW - The answer to your question is to route the right output back into the External Input

User avatar
Klopfgeist
Posts: 314
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:50 pm
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Contact:

Post by Klopfgeist » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:47 pm

You can also use the headphone output.
So this thing only plays one note?

http://soundcloud.com/unarius
http://www.youtube.com/user/plague1715

User avatar
latigid on
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:47 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Post by latigid on » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:10 pm

Klopfgeist wrote:You can also use the headphone output.
...except that causes an impedance mis-match and isn't recommended. You risk loading the input which may cause damage further down the line.

To add one more idea, you can use a aux send on your mixer, this preserves the stereo signal too.

User avatar
a.s.i.
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:56 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Thanks!

Post by a.s.i. » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:27 pm

Thanks all. I'll look into the PDF document on knob tweak. I just want to make sure not do damage my machine, Thanks again!
Electro Beats, Synthetic Rythms

User avatar
a.s.i.
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:56 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: Filter Overdrive Question

Post by a.s.i. » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:04 am

Hi GregAE
I set up the Voyager according to Figure 1 on the PDF on KnobTweak, and it's working great! I had another question; what about running a cable from the headphone out to the filter input jack? Would you recommend this to be safe without damaging the internal circuitry?

Thanks again for all your help,

Dennis




GregAE wrote:
a.s.i. wrote:Hi all,
Can anyone tell me the correct way to set up my Voyager to filter overdrive like the classic minimoog?
You might look at my article called 'Kicking It Up A Notch', which is posted on KnobTweak. The article explains he various ways that you can get the overdriven sound using various feedback techniques on the Voyager. The article is in a file called 'Kicking It Up.zip'. Find it here:

KnobTweak > Files > Voyager > Kicking It Up.zip

The zip file includes a PDF and two audio clips.

Hope this helps!

- Greg


BTW - The answer to your question is to route the right output back into the External Input
Electro Beats, Synthetic Rythms

User avatar
latigid on
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:47 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Filter Overdrive Question

Post by latigid on » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:21 am

a.s.i. wrote:Hi GregAE
I set up the Voyager according to Figure 1 on the PDF on KnobTweak, and it's working great! I had another question; what about running a cable from the headphone out to the filter input jack? Would you recommend this to be safe without damaging the internal circuitry?

Thanks again for all your help,

Dennis
latigid on wrote:
Klopfgeist wrote:You can also use the headphone output.
...except that causes an impedance mis-match and isn't recommended. You risk loading the input which may cause damage further down the line.

:roll:

I.e. do it if you like, but it will put stress on the input circuitry and could break your V'ger.

User avatar
Klopfgeist
Posts: 314
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:50 pm
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Contact:

Post by Klopfgeist » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:46 pm

When using the right output for the feedback loop, remember that that output has a different filter than the left, so by changing the spacing knob, you can set it for a different cutoff frequency and resonant peak. And with an external cv, you can modulate the panning to get a modulated balance of feedback and output.

Btw, when I saw the VPO's at the museum of making music moog exhibit, Nick was using the headphone out for the feedback. Maybe we should make him aware of this thread. :)
So this thing only plays one note?

http://soundcloud.com/unarius
http://www.youtube.com/user/plague1715

User avatar
latigid on
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:47 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Post by latigid on » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:18 pm


User avatar
a.s.i.
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:56 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Post by a.s.i. » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:41 am

Thanks for the tip latigid on, I will probably stick with the right output jack just to be safe!

D
Electro Beats, Synthetic Rythms

User avatar
BrianK
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:23 am

Post by BrianK » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:09 am

If you just want to hit the filter hard - you can use the Insert Send/Return jacks. It's not a feedback loop, so the results will differ (and they REALLY differ from the old Mini as you're using 2 filters in the feedback setups above).

However, it's why the jacks were put on in the first place, and I never see anyone use them. Put a nice solid gain boost there (with fuzz if you want, or just an EQ pedal on boost). It hits the filter harder, which makes a different sound. Some Minimoogs (Emerson seems to have had one that Bob did) had hotter levels sent to the filter naturally. It makes a great sound, less HiFi, but aggressive and fat.

(Unrelated to boost: If you want to be even more creative, try octavers or looooong delays into the filter at this Insert point).

Novacz
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:53 pm
Location: Hungary

Post by Novacz » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:04 am

I use an ART MP tube preamp in the MIX OUT / FILTER IN, and this is wonderful.
If you want the sound more aggressive, then tweak the ART's input level to maximum, and the VCOs go to a hard but warm level. The tube overdrive is fantastic!
It is just an example for your question... :)
Ha Moog, legyen kövér... :)

MINIMOOG Voyager Electric Blue, Moog MP-201, Nord Electro 3, Nord Modular, CRUMAR MULTIMAN S

http://www.mocun.hu

Just Me
Posts: 1144
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:46 pm
Location: The Great Southwest

Post by Just Me » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:30 pm

My ring mod is almost permanantly in the send/insert jack. I will ocassionally put one of my tube overdrives there.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

User avatar
Klopfgeist
Posts: 314
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:50 pm
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Contact:

Post by Klopfgeist » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:29 pm

I have had good results using a Zvex Super-Hard-On in the insert loop. I have also built a small box that has insert, send, and return jacks so I can leave the box on the floor instead of having pedals up by the voyager.
So this thing only plays one note?

http://soundcloud.com/unarius
http://www.youtube.com/user/plague1715

User avatar
a.s.i.
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:56 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Post by a.s.i. » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:12 pm

Thanks again all, these are some wonderful tips!

Dennis
Electro Beats, Synthetic Rythms

Post Reply