Getting an Electric Blue soon, a couple questions

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
TheRocco

Getting an Electric Blue soon, a couple questions

Post by TheRocco » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:40 pm

Hello everyone!

I'll be getting my first Moog in a couple of weeks and have decided on a Voyager Electric Blue. I was getting used to the idea of the Black (blue specks) cab, but now just learned you can choose other cab styles as well as the backlight LED color!

I still am sold on the Electric Blue (although Jade is also very cool in a vintage electro kind of way) but now want either the Ash, Mahogany, or Cherry cab.

What was the traditional wood color for the original MiniMoog?

I'm sure I will have other "new user" questions when my Electric Blue arrives, but for now I am wondering what to play it out of at my small apartment studio?

Are most of you using a Stereo Powered Monitor setup?

Small keyboard amp?

I will be using the Moog along with my Kurzweil PC3X keyboard and am thinking about getting the M-Audio BXba Deluxe powered Monitors for them both. I've heard these have great bass response--would they handle the Moog well?

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:34 pm

A small keyboard amp will not do it justice, though thats my own opinion.. each to their own.

I use KRK's for my Moog's, along with all my other stuff, going through a mixer. I would say if u want to get a real clear honest sound, go for some monitors. KRK's are great.
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:58 pm

First off, welcome to the forum.
Congrats on your new purchase. I am sure it will bring hours of enjoyment.

It is near impossible for anyone to recommend a cabinet. They all look so nice.

I use a pair of powered monitors, 20 watt Hafler TRM6's, and a Mackie board.

I would highly recommend powered monitors over an amp. (my own opinion)
Until you can chose/afford something, a pair of headphones would work.

A pair of headphones and a RedBull on a non-work night with a Voyager is great fun. You will get lost in that synth for five hours easily.
(trust me here.... I have spend many hours under headphones after a RedBull)
If you have any effects (expecially analog) be sure to get the proper cable to use the mixer out/filter in jack. (something I "pimp" to every new Voyager owner.)

There is a wealth of knowledge here. Please do not hesitate to ask anything. We really have a great online community.

last.... but not least, a pic of your new Voyager is greatly appreciated.

Enjoy your new synth. :mrgreen:
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

TheRocco

Post by TheRocco » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:46 pm

Thanks for the Welcome and tips!

No pics yet--I haven't bought it yet--house in escrow and just as soon as the money...but I've definitely decided on the Moog Voyager Electric Blue. Now just to choose the cabinet...

I have a pair of Alesis powered monitors but wanted to maybe pick up something a bit larger for the Moog. The Alesis' are also on the other side of the room being used for something else and I wanted this Moog unit and Kurzweil to be in another location.

For live work, I suppose you folks just use the PA and floor monitors?

What about a small little jam session where there isn't a PA, what do you all prefer to bring to power the Moog?

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:53 pm

TheRocco wrote:What about a small little jam session where there isn't a PA, what do you all prefer to bring to power the Moog?
Hmm ya know thats a good question.

Not everyone wants to lug there studio monitors around.. though it would be the best bet for sound quality.

I'm sure you could just get a keyboard amp or something and that'd be fine if there was no PA at the session. Depending on the amp you got, sound quality would differ.. but if there is no PA / Mixer + Monitors at the session, than I doubt anyone is really too concerned about high sound quality, rather than just trying to play and see what u can come up with I'm guessing.
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

waytho

Decisions, Decisions!

Post by waytho » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:57 am

Hiya!
What was the traditional wood color for the original MiniMoog?

I believe they were all Ash wood. . . I read that somewhere.

I've had my Blue/Mahogany for about 1 1/2 yrs and I never tire of it's beauty - but I recall the many, many hours of looking at all the different light/cab combinations. If you do some Googling and visit sites like Samash and Sweetwater, you can get huge pics of the different configurations. The Mahogany more closely matches the wood on my other synths and I needed some blue. . . .

The whitewashed ones are also beautiful but I'm a natural wood nut
Regards,
Wayne

Voyager Mahogany/Blue #597 (VX-351, CP-251, MF-104Z, MF-107); KORG M3 EXP; KORG Radias; Virus TI Polar; Roland JD-800; KORG KARMA; Ensoniq EPS 16+

Unfiltered

Post by Unfiltered » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:48 am

John Medeski of MMW runs his voyager out of an old 50's tiny cubical kay amp the height of a shoebox and it sounds amazing miked. Kind of bizzare, but he is an audiophile who spends a lot of effort finding the right amps for his boards.

TheRocco

Post by TheRocco » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:17 pm

That's very cool! It's the old tubes, I bet, an interesting match for the analog Moog. Glad you mentioned it, thanks! I have an old 1955 Supro with the original RCA tubes...

BTW, I'm planing out the "new synthesizer room" fit & look and wondering what the dimensions of the Voyager is? Is it about 18" or so deep and 30" wide?

Still deciding on incorporating it with my computer gear arrangement, or putting in out and more accessible in the room on it's own. (There are some great pics here in the "Show your Voyager" thread, many great Studio Shots of the "Man Cave".

psicolor

Post by psicolor » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:26 am

I play the voyager mostly in band context, where i use a cheap keyboard amp with transistor technology. It doesn't sound as sweet as in the studio but my bandmates are always impressed by the sound
http://www.psicolor.de