Voyager RME With VX-351 - The Definitive Answer

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
polyslax

Voyager RME With VX-351 - The Definitive Answer

Post by polyslax » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:58 pm

Hi there!

Glad to be aboard the Moog train since about a week now*, and it's been a pleasure learning as much as I can from the excellent posts around here.

There's one question that still boggles my mind though, and from my searches I haven't been able to find the answer.

When you plug a VX-351 into an RME I'm assuming you don't get the cv that comes out of all the physical controls on the keyboard Voyager, correct? Doesn't this limit the usefulness of the 351 for an RME owner?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this for me!

*Guess I should let you know what I'm running. I've got the RME, CP-251 and VX-352 which I've racked together, and the MF-102 and MF-104Z.
zoozither.com

acorkos

Post by acorkos » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:05 pm

the vx-351 gives you access to some of the CVs produced by the voyager...LFOs, pitch and mod wheels, S/H, filter and volume envelopes, keyboard pitch/ velocity/pressure/gate. plus you gat a couple of mults and attenuators

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:12 pm

Thanks for the response!

So, using it with the RME though, I'm assuming I don't get cv out for the wheels, keyboard and touch screen. Would that be correct?
zoozither.com

acorkos

Post by acorkos » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:34 pm

polyslax wrote:So, using it with the RME though, I'm assuming I don't get cv out for the wheels, keyboard and touch screen. Would that be correct?
touch screen, no.

someone with an RME will have to confirm that a midi keyboard controller w/pitch and mod wheels generates CV at the VX-351 for keyboard pitch, gate, pitch bend and mod wheels...

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:21 pm

acorkos wrote:
polyslax wrote:So, using it with the RME though, I'm assuming I don't get cv out for the wheels, keyboard and touch screen. Would that be correct?
touch screen, no.

someone with an RME will have to confirm that a midi keyboard controller w/pitch and mod wheels generates CV at the VX-351 for keyboard pitch, gate, pitch bend and mod wheels...
Yeah, touch screen I could live without, but the wheels and keyboard part is really the question I haven't been able to find an answer to.
zoozither.com

francesco

Post by francesco » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:18 am

This will work. Sometimes I use my RME as a sort of very expensive MIDI to CV converter to control my small Doepfer modular.

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:48 am

francesco wrote:
This will work. Sometimes I use my RME as a sort of very expensive MIDI to CV converter to control my small Doepfer modular.
Thanks for that francesco!
zoozither.com

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:52 pm

ally think that Moog shoud make a touchscreen Moogerfooger for the RME and OS owners.

t really is very very nice. Being able to controlthe delay time or feedback with the touchpad, triggering events like envelope generators, sequences is all a very nice capabillity in mid performance that is soooooo choise!

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

sharkbarf

Post by sharkbarf » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:08 pm

polyslax-
you think you'd rather have a voyager keyboard now?

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:24 pm

sharkbarf wrote:polyslax-
you think you'd rather have a voyager keyboard now?
Hey shark, no, definitely not. I have one keyboard synth, a Virus TI, and that's fine for me. Working with limited space, and I want my one keyboard to be 5 octaves. As long as you have a decent keyboard to run the Moog I'd recommend the RME. No touch screen, of course. On the other hand I never have to worry about the touch screen breaking. :)
zoozither.com

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:49 pm

EricK wrote:I really think that Moog shoud make a touchscreen Moogerfooger for the RME and OS owners.
Being able to control the delay time or feedback with the touchpad, triggering events like envelope
generators, sequences is all a very nice capabillity in mid performance that is soooooo choice!
Hi EricK,

The Korg nanoPAD would at least give you the X and Y control missing from the RME.
The pads would add yet another layer of control possibilities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxNsI4u9KYs
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _