Post by dingebre » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:12 pm

Equipment:
Moog Voyager
MOTU MTP
MOTU 828mk3
PC, i7 processor, Vista 64

Software:
Sonar Producer 8.5

I've finally been able to sit down and play with my new toys.

When using a "light" version of one of the soft-synthesizers in Sonar, Sonar crashes every time. That's fine, but here is the problem.

Every time it crashes, the Voyager keyboard stops working. Doing a reset to factory parameters brings the keyboard back to life.

BIG QUESTION:
What midi message is causing the Voyager keyboard to stop responding?
What setting in the Voyager is being modified?

I'd rather not have to do a system reset to regain control. I can't figure out what setting it is in the menus.

Thanks
David

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:52 pm

Can you measure the MIDI data stream that comes out of Sonar by using a utility e.g. MIDIOX?

It could be some sort of crazy sysex string, perhaps Rudi will know.

RL

Re: Weird Midi behavior, Please Help

Post by RL » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:40 am

dingebre wrote:What midi message is causing the Voyager keyboard to stop responding?
What setting in the Voyager is being modified?
Hi David,
I guess the MIDI message is Local Off or so. What software version is in your Voyager? What message on the display can you see when you switch off and on the Voyager when the problem occured?
Have fun,
Rudi

dingebre

Post by dingebre » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:22 am

Thanks for the help/suggestions. I've not pinned down the exact midi message, but I think the setting is in the Master menu, 1.2 Local Control. For some reason, the crash in Sonar sends a message which turns off local control.

There is no error message displayed, the voyager turns on like normal. Everything else seems to function just fine.

My plan is to not use the plugin which is crashing Sonar. With the Voyager and other hardware, I don't really need the soft synthesizer anyway :)

RL

Post by RL » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:54 am

dingebre wrote:There is no error message displayed, the voyager turns on like normal.
The 3.4 version shows a screen with the local settings after power on if one of the local settings is off. Maybe there's an older version on your Voyager.
Have fun,
Rudi