AE Quircky behavior - AE backlit dimmer noise - **WaldorfQ

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
theglyph

AE Quircky behavior - AE backlit dimmer noise - **WaldorfQ

Post by theglyph » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:59 pm

Occasionally, some odd things occur in AEmini such as issues with the volume release depending on the position it's swithch (especially when working with the ext. input. But this and other quircky issues are usually resolved just by messing around with other nobs and swithches including the vol. release knob and the env. release switch.

I'm not new to synth's. I've owned a WaldorfQ (YELLOW *see below) for several years now, but it is digital and it's strange behavior is usually midi related and fixed via triggering midi panic. The AEmini is the first analog synth. i've owned.

Therefore, i'm assuming these issues are related to the quirckyness of analog technology + my lack of experience working with real CV's ect.

As for the transformer that attenuates the AE's blue backlit display, i've been wondering? In dead silence, does the transformer seem somewhat overly noisy when fully clockwise (i.e. max lighting). I know Moog Music acknowledges that the transformer emitts noise and their recomendation of setting the knob at 12:00 or lower (they suggest 30%?) to preserve the longevity of the lights. It isn't bothersome when playing (as we all should be doing). But i have no other AEmini's available to copare the amount of noise each generates at full throttle.

*As for my WaldorfQ. I have a question for Till Kopper or any Q owner who reads this. I installed the last OS available (3.02) before the companies corporate duds eliminated their keyboard/effects/etc. division and merged with that other company. I've noticed an issue in Multimode regarding the ability to send each part's audio to the sub outputs. It seems finicky if not downright impossible to send any part (1-16) to either of the sub outputs selected in the Multi-OutPut-menu. Am i the only one experiencing this or have other Q owners found problems with this.

If there is a way make this work that i am just not understanding, please let me know because this can be very frustrating!

tunedLow

Post by tunedLow » Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:19 am

Since you mentioned it, I run a bass through my voyager, and just today noticed that I was loosing volume if my envelopes where not at high sustain and release levels.

I know the external audio in doesn't trigger the envelopes, and I have the env. gate switched to on/external.

What gives?

moogmusic
Site Admin

Post by moogmusic » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:00 am

When you switch the envelope gate switch to Ext/On - it is looking at the Envelope Gate input jack. With nothing plugged in - the jack has a gate-on voltage. When you first flip this switch, a gate signal is then sent to the envelopes, and the envelopes cycle through the attack and decay phases and end up at the sustain phase. Where you have this set (or what value is stored in a preset) will determine the loudness of the sustained sound. If you want an instrument connected to the Ext.Audio In jack to go through the Voyager at max. level while the envelope gate is on, vol. sustain should be all the way up.

Hope that helps

theglyph

Input volume

Post by theglyph » Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:12 pm

Gotcha! That makes perfect sense. You have to remember what each part of the accronym ADSR represents. In fact, it wasn't until i read the voyager's manual that i undrstood what the sustain did in the envelope. I've been messin with my Q for a while (several years) and never really gave two thoughts about it.

Now my moog is really rockin!

Thanks moogmusic, you came through again!!!

:lol:

corkyburger

noisy backlight on AE voyager

Post by corkyburger » Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:04 am

Snap. Mine also emits a high pitch whine when turned past half way.

Hope that puts your mind to rest on that matter.

CB

Sunsinger

Backlite noise not a problem

Post by Sunsinger » Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:00 pm

I have an AE #117...The backlight does not add any noise to the signal path...
End of discussion... The hum is caused by the rather large LED membrane behind the face-panel controlled by a dimmer. It is that circuit only which causes the hum, and is completely isolated from the audio signal path... Moog engineers confirm this.
The backlite is rated at about 5000 hours of life with the dimmer fully on, which by the way causes the hum to be at its loudest... Turning the dimmer down to the 11 O'clock position ruduces the hum to a non audible level (almost), and greatly increases the life of the LED. It also still looks really cool.

Sunsinger