What to buy: Voyager RME or Old School? Help me decide...

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
EMwhite

What to buy: Voyager RME or Old School? Help me decide...

Post by EMwhite » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:37 pm

Getting ready to take my setup to next level. Have a LP Tribute right now (CV outs being added as I type) and wanted to add a big boy to my lonely Hammond setup. Am primarily a Bass player and someday hope to get a bunch of Foggers.

The Old School appeals to me, something about the nostalgia, etc but obviously w/out presets or other convenience features (adjustable pitch wheel comes to mind) is great for 1 tone live w/some tweaking but not for dozens of diverse custom setups, etc. (I only play in my home studio so maybe this is not so much of a big deal). I've read a bit about input/output options and some of the differences between Voyager and OS (only some of which I fully understand).

Considering the fact that $$ is tight, would you grab a Voyager RME (will ultimately need a 352) or an Old School as your *next* move. The touchpad of the Voyager has zero appeal to me.

(for reference, I have cheap-o M-Audio 61 key Midi keyboard that I play through Logic Express also, but that's kids stuff)

Ultimately, I want MP201, CV expander, Analog Echo, Freq, etc. But... one thing at a time.

Thanks
Last edited by EMwhite on Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rodion

Post by rodion » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:47 pm

just buy an OS!! it's an amazing and complete instrument, designed to leave you without sleeping. during last few years I bought lots of rack units, and though they all are quite amazing instruments (waldorf q, pulse, oberheim matrix 1000 etc) I end up using only a fraction of what they might do. not because I'm not good at programming them, but simply because a rack unit would never replace a synth with keyboard. it's a matter of design I think: the os wants you to put your hands and finger on it like no other rack unit could ever do. no matter if no midi or presets. would you complain about an ms20 having no midi nor presets? my humble opinion.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:09 pm

The TS had no appeal to me when I bought my MMV. Then one day you will put a finger on it and it will squeal or do something to the sound and you will say, that's weird and leave it. Then one night you will get curious and start to play with it just to see what the stuff in the manual meant. That's it, you are hooked. I love my TS now and use it in nearly every song to a greater or lesser extent. It has also become a major controller of my modular.
That said. My local store has a new OS for under $2000.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:17 pm

By all means get the one of the two that is a musical instrument. The OS keyboard has a much more musical feeling than that of the LP, a beautiful instrument to play. Sound boxes in racks don't have the same sound appeal.

Nostalgia won't get you nowhere about enjoying the instrument in the long run, but if you are attracted to the challenge of playing the OS as an musical instrument (as opposed to a techno-gadget), if you believe that learning sound shaping is best done on a full analog panel, with everything just the way they look, and if you value the minimoog similarities (as I do) as a reference instrument, then the OS is right for you.

Even out of the box, it's not the closed instrument it seems to be. Add only a couple of patch cords from the OS (2 cv outputs) to the LP cv input, and voilà, you first modulaire.. will play the LP from the OS keyboard, and with the help of a mixer, will let you create that monster 5 oscillator patch, with an abundance of choices as where to add an expression pedal or two. With a mixer, a convenient performance system that can play both LP's patches and OS single at the same time or individually, and that from the OS keyboard. No external box (apart from the mixer) needed yet at this point. There's even a little undocumented trick that let's you transpose very quickly your OS keyboard from a single LP key press.

Add fun things to do next with a CP-251 and its mixing capabilites (the essential 351 and a bit more). What can you think of next with your CV Output upgraded LP?

A fun two synth little set up ;)

Augment

Post by Augment » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:50 am

Another vote for the OS; no regrets picking one up for myself last year.

I originally wanted to get the Voyager Electric Blue, but it was somewhat out of my price range at the time, so I had my eye on the Rackmount. Then the OS was announced a few months later, and I went with that.

You really can't go wrong either way, but to me the OS wins for being a very beautiful instrument.

It actually just dawned on me a few minutes ago about using my Voyager to control my LP; I actually logged in to the forum so I could look it up and see if it'd work properly so I wouldn't be disappointed tomorrow when I hook everything up. :) So yeah, even after a year I'm still thinking of new ways to use my Moog stuff!

I'm currently obsessed with getting a VX-351 and a few more MF's. The thought of mod wheel controlled delay feedback, velocity controlled ring mod frequency & pressure controlled ring mod mix is calling me....

Bryan T

Re: What to buy: Voyager RME or Old School? Help me decide.

Post by Bryan T » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:34 am

MikeWfromNJ wrote:Ultimately, I want MP201, CV expander, Analog Echo, Freq, etc. But... one thing at a time.
Personally, I think you'd be better off getting into the Moogerfoogers first.

EMwhite

Re: What to buy: Voyager RME or Old School? Help me decide.

Post by EMwhite » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:14 pm

Bryan T wrote:
MikeWfromNJ wrote:Ultimately, I want MP201, CV expander, Analog Echo, Freq, etc. But... one thing at a time.
Personally, I think you'd be better off getting into the Moogerfoogers first.
I'd go for a few Foogers; certainly a more economical path and lots to do/learn/experiment with along the way but Old School's are becoming scarce and I'm nervous about not being able to pick one up a year from now.

Still trying to liquidate some of my Pinball Machine collection (believe it or not) so won't have the $$ for either just yet.

Thx for the reply.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:23 pm

What machines are you selling? Where are they?
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:11 pm

Just Me wrote:What machines are you selling? Where are they?
This is OT now but I have about 20 machines and am parting with my newest "World Poker Tour" which is a Stern that I bought NIB in February. Worth about $2,400.
Last edited by EMwhite on Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mati

Post by Mati » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:33 am

Hi,

I stood in the same dilemma and bought a OS, and I haven't regretted it one bit!! Then again it's tough to regret buying anything from moog :P Still I love how hands on the OS is, also it sometimes have to warm up the oscillators when turning in on after its been turned off for quite some time. And adjustable pitchwheel is a GREAT exuse for disassebling it, witch is a experience of it's own.

With the OS it feels like it's actually an analog retro synth, I'm not shure it does with the RME :D

Stay classy!

Anna's Digit

Post by Anna's Digit » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:36 am

RME
Who 'em i ? who are you ?
Born in 1987 .
http://www.myspace.com/donteatdinosaurs (8bit/lo-fi proyect)

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:13 pm

Mati wrote:Hi,

I stood in the same dilemma and bought a OS, and I haven't regretted it one bit!! Then again it's tough to regret buying anything from moog :P Still I love how hands on the OS is, also it sometimes have to warm up the oscillators when turning in on after its been turned off for quite some time. And adjustable pitchwheel is a GREAT exuse for disassebling it, witch is a experience of it's own.

With the OS it feels like it's actually an analog retro synth, I'm not shure it does with the RME :D

Stay classy!
Thanks for all the help, folks. I bought the Old School (and a Murf-M) that should arrive on Tuesday. It's going to make my Little Phatty look... well... "little". But the LP has a soul of it's own and the fact that it IS midi and now has Arpeggiator and CV outs means I'll have lots of options.

I think Ring Mod is next and 351 in near future but first I've got to pay this expenditure off.
Last edited by EMwhite on Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:28 pm

Expenditure indeed!
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

till

Post by till » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:04 am

Tweaking a rack synth that is remotely played by an external keyboard via midi is not as fun as having the know just in front of the keyboard.

So I would go for the OS. Or the normal Voyager. These additional features in the modulation sections, the selectable filter pole numbers (for each of the two filters independently!) adding something to it. The Voyager is more closer to a modular then you expect from judging its front plate.
But the OS is a cool synth. You get the real Minimoog feeling. And some addition features.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

eXode

Post by eXode » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:00 am

Great thread! I've been thinking quite a bit between the different models as well. Even though the OS looks great (I think it's the best looking synth of the current line) I think I'd find the pole select features very useful (among other things).