Help with MIDI

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
ticker

Help with MIDI

Post by ticker » Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:18 am

Hello! More questions! Ok, a short while back I decided to give MIDI a stab so I got my AE working just fine with Cubase SX. I really dig sequencing things out and playing along with my guitar etc. Out of curiosity I decided that I'd try to tie my Nord 3 in to the chain and have two live sequences going. I am having some problems though. I can't get the Nord working when chained with the AE. If I pull the Moog out and just have the Nord only, no problem. When I try two synths though, only one will work. I have each set up within the synth OS to use different channels. As a first step I just want to play something manually and have Cubase pick it up so I can then tweak the MIDI performance by hand and play it back. One step at a time here! If I may, I am going to explain my simple cable routing and maybe someone can tell me what I've done wrong.

Delta 1010LT audio interface MIDI IN goes to AE MIDI OUT
AE MIDI IN goes to Nord 3 MIDI OUT

AE MIDI IN and MIDI OUT channels are set to 1.
Nord 3 set to channel 2.

MIDI track A in Cubase set to channel 1 (AE)
MIDI track B in Cubase set to channel 2 (Nord)

MIDI track A in Cubase working great
MIDI track B not working at all.

I can set my AE MIDI IN to channel 2 and control it with my Nord though...

Hope this makes sense and thanks in advance for ady advice!

Kelly

after beer...

Post by Kelly » Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:12 am

Ok. It's now 3:04 am my time and the beers been rolling genrously, but i find myself compelled to speak/./ / (so to speak.. . )

Well... pick which unit you want as the 'master'. Gotta be this way with only one MIDI port. I suggest the Nord for the longer keyboard. Now, assign it what you will, EX-MIDI out ch 1, in ch 1. Its only sending out on ch 1 now. Plug the MIDI OUT into the IN on the Vger and set the receive for Vger to ch 1. Now the Nord will control the Vger when you play it. Set the Keyboard local mode to OFF on the Nord when you want to play just the Moog. Put the THRU from the Vger to the Delta. Now the MIDI data coming thru the Vger from the Nord goes unfettered to the Delta. Put the MIDI out from the Delta to the Nord and your circle is complete. Assign the Vger to MIDI in ch 2 and operate Cubase as you were. This should work. I think.. . its all just soo fuzzy right now, heh.

K.

ticker

Post by ticker » Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:47 am

Got a little tricky but I have it mostly sorted out. Thanks for your help. BTW with several MIDI devices here do you guys recommend getting a dedicated controller?