Unsure what to buy...

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
aaronh

Unsure what to buy...

Post by aaronh » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:19 pm

Well im definitaly buying a Voyager RME in January but unsure what expanders to get with it. I know that the RME edition does not come with the CV inputs and outputs that the keyboard edition does (the ones on the top). So does the VX-352 basically just add on whats missing from the keyboard edition?

What should i get then, i can get the RME and two add ons, between VX-351 - VX-352 - CP-251 or a moogerfooger (probably ring mod)

also.. first post 8)

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:56 pm

I would say the 352 and 251 first. Then a 351 along with other devices.
You can do a ton with the 251 and the ability to route it into the RME. Then with the 351 you can use about anything for mod and routing with other CV devices. (Since the 251 is the most expensive of the three, it's best to get it at first to help soften the blow later.)
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

LeRoi

Post by LeRoi » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:59 pm

Get the RME and the VX-351 and 352...so you have a complete little system. I've used the set up (selling it now actually) and it's really sweet. Just my 2 cents tho. The ring mod is a very nice addition to the Voyager, so you're in no danger of regretting the purchase if you choose that route.

Welcome to the forum! :)

aaronh

Post by aaronh » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:54 pm

Thanks for the replies folks..

ah i get it now.. the 351 and 352 are good additions to the voyager on its own. having a nice little (semi?) modular setup?
while the CP-251 can be used to connect muliple CV units?

aaronh

Post by aaronh » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:33 pm

Ok i should be able to buy this week, just mooching around for a good deal.
Im only going to go for the RME with the VX-352 at this point. Im even considering just getting the RME. Does the 352 open up massive sound capabilities out of the box, or is it best to have the 351 and other modular gear hooked up?

also.. can somebody point me in the direction to what patch cabels to get and how many. also heard that you should use a certain type of cable for the headphone out, into the external in?

im getting excited :D
cheers.

francesco

Post by francesco » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:29 pm

From my own experience:
The VX-352 alone has a very limited influence to the sound of the RME because it has only CV inputs. If you can not afford the CP-251 as addition now or in the near future, I would buy the MF-102 as first addition to the RME.

Greetings from germany,
Frank

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:53 pm

If you want to be able to have access to all of the modulation routings that are available to the RME, then you'll want to get both the VX-351 and the VX-352.

If you then want to mix two CVs into one, and have an additional LFO, an additional sample-and-hold, and an additional noise source, along with a CV lag processor, two CV attenuators, and a couple of 4-way mults, then the CP-251 is what you need.

All three of these modules are basic to getting the most out of your RME as regards CV routing and manipulation. They allow your RME to function as a semi-modular synth. You will really want to consider getting all three if (or when) you can afford to.

As regards patch cables, tip/sleeve cables will suffice. As to how many? That's probably something you'll beed to determine for yourself. To route the output of the headphone to the external in, use a 4 foot tip-sleeve patch cord. Plug one end part-way into the headphone jack (one click), and plug the other end into the ext. input jack. Route the cord around the back of the control panel so it doesn't get in your way. Adjust the headphone output and the ext. in pots as needed, and don't be afraid of the red LED on the ext. input as you can't hurt anything if you max it out.

Hope this helps,
Bob

aaronh

Post by aaronh » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:28 pm

Thanks for the replies fellas!

what i want to know is there much i can with just the vx-352 and RME, like can u run a patch cable from one part of the 352, to another part of the 352? . I have no other CV gear, and as you probably have figured im a complete CV noob :lol:

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:51 pm

Yes! Just remember that outs go to ins. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

aaronh

Post by aaronh » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:56 pm

Voltor07 wrote:Yes! Just remember that outs go to ins. :wink:
will stuff blow up :lol:

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:14 am

aaronh wrote:
Voltor07 wrote:Yes! Just remember that outs go to ins. :wink:
will stuff blow up :lol:
I don't believe that you can use a VX-352 to loop CVs from the RME back into itself. I believe the VX-352 only provides a means for receiving CVs into the RME. To get CVs out of the RME, you will need the VX-351.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:29 am

Can't he run some of the stuff on the 352 to the attenuators, though? :?
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Klopfgeist

Post by Klopfgeist » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:41 am

Are the attenuators actually built into the voyager, or are they in the 351/352? If they are actually in the voyager, I think it might cause some routing problems, but if they in the expansion units themselves, I think everything would be fine.
So this thing only plays one note?

http://soundcloud.com/unarius
http://www.youtube.com/user/plague1715

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:47 am

Voltor07 wrote:Can't he run some of the stuff on the 352 to the attenuators, though? :?
No CVs come out of the VX-352, they only go into it.

He can run CVs from an external source into the RME through the VX-352. However, if he wants to loop CVs from the RME back into itself, he needs the VX-351.

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:51 am

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to the club!

First I have to ask what are you wanting your system to do?

If you have absolutely no CV gear, then it really doesn't make sence to get both the 351 and 352. Yes you can patch the cv outs to the cv ins, but after a while (in my opinion) this would get very uninspiring very quickly.

The Voyager just by itself is a pretty powerful synth. How much experience do you have with synthesis in general?

The vx 351 provides the outs, and the Vx352 provides the ins. You would be able to double up on the LFO's, you would be able to attenuate their amounts, but really the 351 provides the abillity to externalize what is already going on internally in the voyager. Having some extra LFO's and attenuating them is nice, but in my opinion pretty limited with out the benefit of other CV gear to patch things into. Limited in my opinion in regards to the amount of money you are spending to have ONLY these features.

See, the voyager is a great tool, very capable. But with the 351/352 you aren't really adding much. These two units help the voyager integrate into an already growing or established system. This will let you control other modular gear with your voyager, or have the RME slaved to it. If you don't have ANY other CV gear at all, it is a bit ambitious to have the voyager expanders, but little gratification in the end cause theres limited realms to control.

Im all about trying to get the MOST features for my money. Money is tight and I want to be able to do the MOST possible. The CP 251 is a good module for this, but again, when the voyager is the sole source and destination, this is fairly limited.

Decide for yourself what you would rather see......your voyager controlling something, or your voyager slaved by something else.

With all of the synthesis power or modulations available through the busses and the software, me personally I would make the voyager the source for voltages and a Fooger of some type a destination. With this in mind the Vx351 is your first purchase.

With that in mind, you need some type of Fooger to go with it. The Ringmod is a good candidate because it does very interesting things in the audio chain. You can definately use the RIngmod's voltages to good effect in addition to still being in the audio chain.

The phaser is good as well, and like the ringmod would reside primarily in the audio chain but also has an lfo and can be modulated while in the audio chain.

Its really hard to think about what foogers one with an RME would need. THe decisions become much easier once you already have the 351 and 2, but Id like to see you continuing to be inspired while you wait to add on.

Eventually you realize that you DO need the 351 and 2, but only when you have at least 1 fooger to interface both ways with your RME. WHen you have 1 fooger or more then the cp251 really expands your horizons.

Even if you didn't get either of the 351 or 352 at this point, you still wouldn't go wrong buying the 102 and another fooger to process JUST in the audio chain. Those extra jacks would be taunting you until you got either of the expanders or the CP 251.

Figure out and let us know what your immediate needs are for your band or your studio projects, figure out what you want to be able to do in the short term with your system, figure out whether or not you would be happy with staying JUST in the audio chain, and then listen to the sound samples on the homepage. Check out youtube demonstrations of the foogers (there are some on my youtube channel and others) and then let us know what you are thinking. Don't rush into this cause its quite a bit of money to spend. Id hate to see you get something and not be happy with Moog because you bought the wrong gear and was dissapointed.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.