voyager OS : external env gate fading out?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
rodion

voyager OS : external env gate fading out?

Post by rodion » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:39 am

hello, and sorry for the stupid question here, but it's been causing me some headache tonite :)

I was usin the OS filter to filter a drum beat: I set the filter and amp envelopes to their maximum decay and sustain and switched the external env gate to on. cool. but then after some 10s the beat through the filter was slowly fading out. switching the ext env gate to off and then back to on solved the thing. is your OS behaving in the same way or am I missing something? nothing was plugged in any of the OS cv inputs.

cool, thanks

psyhead

Post by psyhead » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:03 am

yeh mine does the same aswell....even with sustain on max..cant figure out why though...

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:09 am

You need to send a gate signal to the Voyager.
You can get one from your drum machine or put a foot switch on the gate input and keep your foot down on it while running the external source.
The switch is external gate, not open VCA. You need that CV to gate the ENV to open the VCA and hold it open.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

rodion

Post by rodion » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:11 pm

no problem I can send some gate with a midi cv converter. but I thought that the ext gate switch was also meant as a way to trig both envelopes and let them sustain until switched off. instead of the proverbial key press or tape on the key :)

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:10 pm

Look in edit function 4.4
You can set the gate to be on or off or MIDI Clk or keyboard, etc.
Set it on and it will run with out an external input. But on mine, you have to remove any plug from the gate in on the back to do this.

{EDIT}
NEVERMIND! I forgot you have an OS. You can select it with the other ones. You are going to have to trigger it with the GATE unless someone else knows another way.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

c7sus

Post by c7sus » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:43 pm

From the OS manual:

Envelope Gate:
Envelopes are triggered by a gate signal. The envelopes will sustain as long as a gate signal is present.
When the gate is off, the Release portion of the envelope is executed as shown below. The switch
labeled KEYB/ ON/EXT selects whether the envelopes are triggered from the keyboard, or from
another gate source. When KEYB (Keyboard) triggering is selected, the envelopes are triggered by
a gate trigger signal that is generated when a note on the keyboard is played. When the switch is set
for ON/EXT (On/External), the envelope gate source defaults to ON if nothing is plugged into the
ENV GATE jack on the Voyager back panel, and the envelopes will sustain at the level determined by
their respective SUSTAIN controls. This is useful for keeping the envelopes sustaining without holding
a key down, when you want to process an external audio signal through the fi lters with out using the
keyboard, or to create drones.

rodion

Post by rodion » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:35 am

according to the manual it seems that it should sustain forever once the ext gate switch is on and nothing is plugged in the env gate input...

mick37

Post by mick37 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:18 am

I just tried 2 minutes ago.
On my OS, all is ok.
No fading out .
(switch "env gate" is set for on/ext & "sustain" is on 8 )

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:22 pm

Keep the decay time at 50% or less and the sustain won't fade out.
SD

psyhead

Post by psyhead » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:32 pm

Sweet will give it a go..

c7sus

Post by c7sus » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:39 pm

the envelope gate source defaults to ON if nothing is plugged into the
ENV GATE jack on the Voyager back panel, and the envelopes will sustain at the level determined by their respective SUSTAIN controls.