External Sources through the Voyager

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
vanbebberm

External Sources through the Voyager

Post by vanbebberm » Wed Aug 13, 2003 4:50 am

Fellow Moog users-
I have tried to send my rhodes through the voyager, and have come up with some interesting sounds using the presets on the voyager. I just turn all the oscillators off, turn the ext. source ON (all the way up in the mixer), and turn the 'env. gate' to ON/EXTERNAL. I would love to know what people have tried and recommend for this, and possibly even presets for this purpose only, as .syx files. I will share my settings as well. Is this something that is commonly done, or is this not practical?
thanks in advance,
mike

ksoper

Post by ksoper » Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:54 pm

I ran a bunch of the more interesting Alesis QSR patches through the external input and got wonderful results. I don't know how practical it is for live use, but in the studio it was astounding.

k.

MC

Post by MC » Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:13 pm

A Rhodes piano does not have many harmonics, it's a very mellow sound that wouldn't benefit much from a subtractive filter.

Now a Clavinet has TONS of harmonics that will sound good through the Voyager filters. As does bass guitar, electric guitar, snare drum...

I recently put my Fender Jazz bass through the Voyager - the dual filters sounded AWESOME. I have brand new strings on the bass and it is one bright ballsy mother that really lended itself to filter processing.

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:16 pm

While on the subject... It's hard to get a decent level of my Jaguar guitar when running through the audio input of my Voyager. I've already experimented with opening the filter up just to check. Does it need some sort of signal boost? Compressor up front???
DSS

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:16 pm

While on the subject... It's hard to get a decent level of my Jaguar guitar when running through the audio input of my Voyager. I've already experimented with opening the filter up just to check. Does it need some sort of signal boost? Compressor up front???
DSS

MC

Post by MC » Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:06 pm

You need a preamp to boost the level of your guitar.

vanbebberm

Post by vanbebberm » Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:35 am

MC wrote:A Rhodes piano does not have many harmonics, it's a very mellow sound that wouldn't benefit much from a subtractive filter.

Now a Clavinet has TONS of harmonics that will sound good through the Voyager filters. As does bass guitar, electric guitar, snare drum...

I recently put my Fender Jazz bass through the Voyager - the dual filters sounded AWESOME. I have brand new strings on the bass and it is one bright ballsy mother that really lended itself to filter processing.
You're right... I tried the clavi sound, and it is much more interesting. Especially when I connected a MIDI cable between the two synths, and had the envelopes triggered via the source keyboard and set the env. gate to KEYBOARD. Thanks for the help,
mike

another fine day

Post by another fine day » Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:07 am

Got a cheesy, not so interesting drum loop ?

Whack it in there- instant groove, modulations, distortion- use the V1.5 midi cc to get repeating modulations or use an analog sequencer on the CV inputs...

afd

Kelly

heres an idea

Post by Kelly » Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:48 am

Vanbebberm, I was thinking that in your case, you might want to run a stable oscillator from another synth in to the filter in, then switch your osc 2 off. Two birds with one stone?

(sorry, I'm rolling tonight, gotta keep the fire buring... :lol: )

stretta

Post by stretta » Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:49 pm

One of the benefits of the voyager is the built-in functionality of the moogerfooger filter (and then some). I process anything I can get my hands on through it.

For example, I sent a Triton through the Voyager to un-Digitalize the sound of the instrument. Things get even more interesting when you apply modulation. FREQUENCY modulation to the filter. Shape it through the mod wheel for some serious fun.

Then there is the external modulation route. I can't stress enough how much fun a simple CV sequencer like the Frostwave Fat Controller is. An ideal companion for the Voyager. Remember, a sequencer like this is not about notes (though it can be used like this) it is about creating loops of interesting controller information.

Finally, the send/receive loop on the Voyager. Try a nice, long reverb. The Voyager keys gate the output - it almost sounds polyphonic. You really must try this. Also, try an analog delay like the moogerfooger through the send/receive. For additional fun, you can use the VX-351 to send touchpad CV control to the delay time CV input.

Gahhhhhhh....

BrianK

Post by BrianK » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:57 am

My favorite synth (right now) is the Voyager keyboard MIDI'd out to a bright sounding digi synth - preferably a ROM sample-playback thing. Then that audio goes back into the External Audio In on the Voyager mixer. Usually I don't use any Voyager osicllators, but you could mix them in (mono). On choirs, strings, pianos - the Voyager is incredible.

REALLY makes the worst module sound great! Not truly polyphonic, as the envelope and filter are mono on the Voyager, but you can set it for good response...