All three Osc sound different?!

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
psicolor

All three Osc sound different?!

Post by psicolor » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:56 am

Tonight I'll have my 2nd Gig with the voyager, why i wanted to tune osc2 and 3. They still seem to be in tune, but i realized, that all oscillators sound a little different. Especially Osc3 is a lot brighter then osc1 and osc2.

With an analyzer, I can clearly see that the 2nd overtone (sorry, don't know if "overtone" is the right word for the german "oberton") of osc3's triangular wave is a lot louder than the 2nd harmonic of osc2's and osc1's triangular wave.

Also the overall volume of osc3 is always a bit quieter than the overall volume of osc1 and osc2.

I'm aware that i'm sitting in front of an analog synthesizer, but I just want to know if this is the normal behavior, or if i have to (or can) maintain osc3 by modding one of the trimpotis inside.
http://www.psicolor.de

alainhubert

Everything is normal...

Post by alainhubert » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:09 pm

All Moog Voyagers that I've seen, or heard were the same as yours. Even the Old School model. That's the way Bob designed the third oscillator I guess. Don't know exactly why, but it is a fact. Maybe it could be because oscillator 3 can also serve as an lfo ?

b3groover

Post by b3groover » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:57 pm

Interesting. I was wondering if my third oscillator was somehow "out of alignment" because it sounds so different from the other two.

So this is how it's supposed to be?

Jrayk Roze

Post by Jrayk Roze » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:09 am

Yes, on my Voyager, osc 3's triangle is a bit brighter than osc 2 & 1's. In the beginning, I was furious, and blamed faulty knob calibration, but then I remembered reading on the forum that osc 3 sounds different because of it's LFO capabilities.
Voyager Old School #0005, Etherwave #18321, Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai, CP-251, and a Nord Lead 2X