Voyager OS VS. Select Series

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
D-rex

Voyager OS VS. Select Series

Post by D-rex » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:45 pm

Just wondering what the differences between the old school and a regular voyager are? I know you can't save any patches with the OS and there is no screen, but is there any other differences? Also is the voyager 100% analog? A friend of mine told me the voyager has some digital components and that the little phatty was actually more analog then the voyager. Is this true or does he just not know what he's talking about?
DSI Tetra, Vestax Controller One, Rane TTM-56, MF-102, MF-105, Korg Kontrol 49

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:23 am

The Voyager is DEFINITELY more digital than the Little Phatty, unless you're talking about the Old School. The LP has Real Analog Control for the most part, whereas the Voyager has a processor that reads where the knob is, and how far it moves. The Old School, on the other hand, has a digital keyboard scanner, like the regular Voyager, but that's the only thing digital about it. The sound engine for all these synths is 100% analog, which is really all that matters when you come right down to it. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

ikazlar

Post by ikazlar » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:56 am

The signal path in the Voyager is all analog and nothing but analog, so help me God. Just because there is scanning of knobs twists and stuff like this, it doesn't make the Voyager more digital, since it's the signal path that counts. Modulations are very smooth, so I don't see why not go with the Voyager so that you can take advantage of the patch storage and the other goodies.
The walls of Jericho were brought down by a Minimoog.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:41 am

ikazlar wrote:The signal path in the Voyager is all analog and nothing but analog, so help me God. Just because there is scanning of knobs twists and stuff like this, it doesn't make the Voyager more digital, since it's the signal path that counts...
That's the breakdown of what I said. :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

D-rex

Post by D-rex » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:24 pm

Ok thats what I thought, just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the info.
DSI Tetra, Vestax Controller One, Rane TTM-56, MF-102, MF-105, Korg Kontrol 49

mtmelvin

Re: Voyager OS VS. Select Series

Post by mtmelvin » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:56 pm

D-rex wrote:Just wondering what the differences between the old school and a regular voyager are? I know you can't save any patches with the OS and there is no screen, but is there any other differences? ?
MIDI - The regular Voyager has it and the Old School does not.

Also, the mod routing is different between the two.
Moog Voyager Old School, Memorymoog, Moog Prodigy, Moog Rogue, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104z, MP-201, Arp Odyssey, DSI Prophet 08 SE, Oberheim Matrix 6R, Roland Juno 6, Crumar Orchestrator, Rhodes, Wurli, Clavinet D6, Hammond C3 w/ Leslie 122

Modularfan

Re: Voyager OS VS. Select Series

Post by Modularfan » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:15 am

D-rex wrote:Just wondering what the differences between the old school and a regular voyager are? I know you can't save any patches with the OS and there is no screen, but is there any other differences? ?
The Old School has Keyboard CV and Gate jacks on the backpanel, which all other Voyagers don't (you need to add the VX-351 to get these).

Also, from the KnobTweak FAQ database:

"The Voyager Old School has the same analog circuitry as the other Voyagers (EB, Select, Performer, RME) minus the digital control, so it will basically sound the same as the other editions. But the Old School's lack of digital control circuitry means that it can't do everything the other Voyagers do (for example, digital control provides expanded Modulation Routings, Pot Mapping, and Filter Pole selections, to name just a few). This means that some sounds that you can program on digitally-controlled Voyagers cannot not be duplicated on the Old School."