How to use the Moog OS as a Midi Controll Keyboard ?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
tompisa

How to use the Moog OS as a Midi Controll Keyboard ?

Post by tompisa » Sun May 03, 2009 10:07 am

Hi Moog lovers

I really llike my OS and I love the quality of the keys too. Thats why I want to use my OS together with Logic Pro instruments (polyphone instruments) .

My questions for this scenario are:

What converter devices do I need to use the Moog OS as a polyphone Midi Controller Keyboard ?

Can I use the knobs of the Moog on Midi controll messages with CV to midi converters ?

Can I use modwheel and pitchwheel with the converters ?

Can I use aftertouch too in this scenario ?

Looking forward to your answers

Many thanks for your answering !
Shine On You Crazy Diamond

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Sun May 03, 2009 4:21 pm

Dude, no, that's the whole point of the OS!

You might get away with a hack-job by intercepting the keyscan data (which apparently goes MIDI-CV), but you won't get any controller data out of the knobs etc..

acorkos

Post by acorkos » Sun May 03, 2009 4:30 pm

the OS has CV outs for monophonic keyboard pitch and gate. and with a vx351, you can access the OS modwheel, pitchwheel and aftertouch CV (among other parameters). And if you can find a CV-Midi converter (or converters), you're in business.

But I think you're looking at the wrong controller for your software. To use all the software features, you need something like this:

where you can assign all the midi KB wheels, knobs, pads and buttons to your software's features. Not the same feel as the OS keyboard, but whaddaya expect for $175?

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Mon May 04, 2009 12:22 pm

Maybe you'd be better with a normal Voyager than the OS.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon May 04, 2009 4:35 pm

Softsynths and pure analog do not mix. If you want a MIDI controller, go with a regular Voyager and sell the OS to me for a vast discount. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.