I've never played a Voyager

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
jon_kull

Post by jon_kull » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:23 pm

Well it looks like the sub $2000 Voyager is a thing of the past. Los Angeles Craigslist and ebay had some great prices last month ($1700-$1900 for Performers, AEs and Selects). Prices look like they're going back up to the $2000+ range. Same with Little Phatties. I had seen them as low as $700. Now they're back up to $1000+. At least all the ones I can find. I should have never sold my Tribute...I can't find one anywhere now.

tubeampguy

Post by tubeampguy » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:04 pm

jon_kull wrote:Well it looks like the sub $2000 Voyager is a thing of the past. Los Angeles Craigslist and ebay had some great prices last month ($1700-$1900 for Performers, AEs and Selects). Prices look like they're going back up to the $2000+ range. Same with Little Phatties. I had seen them as low as $700. Now they're back up to $1000+. At least all the ones I can find. I should have never sold my Tribute...I can't find one anywhere now.
Hey Jon, Yes I have been eyeing the Rack Mount Edition that is on there for the last couple weeks.

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:11 pm

Before purchasing my Voyager, I never played one.

8)

Actually...... every synthesizer that I own now, I purchased without ever actually seeing one in real life.
Waldorf Q Plus
Waldorf XT
Future Retro 777
Alesis Andromeda A6
Clavia Nord Modular G2.

I have been really "lucky" because I absolutely love each piece for what they can each do. (uniqueness)
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:53 pm

I bought a Voyager without ever seeing one in person.

I bought a Carvin 5 string fretless custom made without ever seeing one of playing one in person.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

psicolor

Post by psicolor » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:03 pm

I bought my voyager without ever seeing one, too. My expectations in a instrument at this price were very high, but the voyager overtopped them. Not because of the great design or the excellent quality, it's just that incredible feeling that you get when you play a while with the voyager. After this experience almost all other digital instruments sound to me like cheap toys. The voyager is a real instrument, which gives expressiveness back to the keyboarder!

I sold my car to get a voyager and it was the best deal i ever made, even though i have some financial problems right now. But diving through sound heavens is way better then driving through traffic nightmares!
http://www.psicolor.de

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:47 pm

Couldn't have put it any better!
+1

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:07 pm

Truth is, I never played a Voyager before I bought mine, also. I looked at one in a store and played a Little Phatty at that time. Then I saw what would become mine on eBay and ended up picking it up for less than I would have spent on a Phatty.
I was pretty sure of the sonic quality. I did own a D years ago and knew what I was in for.
Come to think of it, over the years I've bought more keyboards unplayed than ones I played first. (Good reason I've sold several of them, too!)
I could not have ever bought a PPG or Mellotron with out playing them first. Those machines seem so poor compared to todays machines. But the Voyager is ectually better for me than my D was. The additional mod routings and TP are really nice additions. The sound and keyboard just coerce me to play daily.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:29 am

I haven't played one since the electric blue first came out. They had one at the sam ash by my house and I was there like everyday playing with it and learning on it. But stupid people bring there stupid kids who grab at everything and bang on everything. Eventually it got pretty beat up, pots were loose, keys were crooked, it was very sad. I remember the sales guy coming up to me and saying "that thing pretty hard to figure out huh? I haven't been able figure out anything on there" I breifly looked up from the controls and said "naw im not having any problems" then got back to programing
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:38 am

Whats pretty hard to figure out is why places like sam ash and guitar center expect people to buy instruments that people dip their hands in mud and play.

THE GC had a Roland Fantom G8 and it looked like a coolaid fingered lunatic had played an abstract version of chopsticks all over it.

Those stores blow.

Oh, that same GC only had 1 lp and the second time I went in I didn't see it.