Old School and regular Voyager persons

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
wooperman

Old School and regular Voyager persons

Post by wooperman » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:21 pm

Hi,
I'm looking for people who have both. I picked up a Voyager 2nd hand. Mainly because I have a bunch of patches backing up and I wanted to transfer them over. I wanted to see if my life changed very much from having midi and all that.
But I am having a problem. Nothing seems to be "wrong" with the 2nd hand regular voyager, but they sound quite different. Direct patches do not sound even close a lot of times. Add in the different modulation busses and it's going to be quite a project.
But I am curious if this thing needs to be re-calibrated , or if they are just that different sounding for normal reasons.
Lemme know !!
Last edited by wooperman on Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wooperman

Post by wooperman » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:17 pm

Calling Dr. Amos,
Is it possible that the Old School and original Voyager - while at exact patch settings sound quite different?
Just so you know I have done the due dilligence, and have noticed with the oscillator frequency knob, when even moved a micrometer, it can vastly change how an oscillator beats and thereby change the whole sound completely. So if I want to get a sound to match perfectly between the OS and original Voyager, I do it one oscillator at a time, by ear, then I turn them all on and adjust it further. I have attempted perfection with a fine tooth comb.
Even if I get each oscillator sounding close to perfect, once I turn all the Oscillators on at the mixer, for the completed sound, it's hardly close. Which if you could experience it, it's pretty mind blowing that the parts are equal, but the sum of the parts is not equal. And even when close as possible by ear, the knob values are quite different - and vice-versa.
But, I dont think either one is broken or anything - the factory patches in the original Voyager sound great. The factory patches from the Old School patch book sound right.

So my question, is: Is it normal that the Voyager and OS are quite different, or might I need a calibration in one? OR matbe they are both fine, but If I want them to sound exact, I would need them to be calibrated together.

My serial Numbers are: EB604(E)
and OS0079.

Preemptive fyi: For the inevitable schadenfreude people who are going to tell me to stop complaining - or that they would be happy the have two different sounding synths, add something constructive or original please, I am curious for specific reasons.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:02 pm

If you are transfering from OS to Voyager, try this FIRST.
Select the factory blank patch, then set to real panel param.

If you are starting from a factory or someone elses patch, there are routings and filter selections that can be made with the software in the Voyager, With Modulation routed to some other input and the filter set to 2 pole, the patches will sound really different!

I've run into this while playing around and programming mine. It has helped to find hidden functions, but it has also been very frustrating when a knob wasn't doing what it should. Like a mod being routed to panning instead of filter. (Hard to hear when you are going out mono!)
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

wooperman

Post by wooperman » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:25 pm

Ok so, some of the original voyager's patches might be in 2-pole? I wasn't thinking of that. I just assumed that the 2 pole 4 pole thing was a global setting, not a per patch setting. Maybe that is the difference. Thanks

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:24 pm

Not just filter pole. But source and destination of modulations, shaping of modulation, env and filter gates source and most hidden, pot mapping all get saved with a preset on a voyager.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

acorkos

Post by acorkos » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:26 pm

i'm curious if 2 old school voyagers side-by-side would sound identical with the same settings.... :?:

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:05 pm

I believe that Amos said that the sound quality of the OS was purer because of the lack of digitality.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

wooperman

Post by wooperman » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:38 pm

Yeah, I guess I remember something like that (did he use the word pure though? just curious), But I still thought I could tweak it into place. So yeah, further proof that the OS kicks serious ass. It does sound more pure. But the original voyager still is awesome. It's taking me a while just to figure out how different they are. For some of the more subtle sounds, where high pitch resonance is the key to the sound, the old school excells.
At first I was hoping the Old School was "better", now I just wish they were exactly the same. :P

LivePsy

Post by LivePsy » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:00 pm

wooperman, I just got GAS...

Jrayk Roze

Post by Jrayk Roze » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:11 pm

LivePsy wrote:wooperman, I just got GAS...
Are there any virgin Old Schools for sale anymore?
Voyager Old School #0005, Etherwave #18321, Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai, CP-251, and a Nord Lead 2X

wooperman

Post by wooperman » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:35 am

GAS, only cure is to cut up them credit cards!!

wooperman

Post by wooperman » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:42 am

BTW, if you want an original Voyager I know a guy selling a Performer, with a VX-351 for 1900 bux. It has been autographed by Bob Moog, (both items have). Very good condition with manuals, no original boxes.
If you really have gas that is.

LivePsy

Post by LivePsy » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:22 am

wooperman wrote:BTW, if you want an original Voyager I know a guy selling a Performer, with a VX-351 for 1900 bux. It has been autographed by Bob Moog, (both items have). Very good condition with manuals, no original boxes.
If you really have gas that is.
have Voyager... need old school... must cut credit cards...

Although it could be seen as helping the financial crisis,
B

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:33 am

1900 bucks with an autograph. Economy Blues indeed. Poor fella.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Pogo

Post by Pogo » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:58 am

Is it the performer with the white wheels ???