amazing bank discovery

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
wooperman

amazing bank discovery

Post by wooperman » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:56 am

So I hooked up with an awesome Electric Blue second hand, good price (w/ vx-351). I have been playing with it for a week not thrilled, as I have an Old School and was used to how that worked. The guy I got it from said no as to whether it had 7 banks. Also, it felt like something was wrong with it. The patches sucked and it was still at version 3.2. So I decided to sysex the new o.s. and try out a few patch dumps. Suddenly tonight, I hit some buttons accidentally and I learned I have the 7 banks! And since I loaded in the factory patches, I can tell that there is nothing wrong with it. Just had some weak patches. Not sure is the op.sys. made it sound better, but it's cooking now. The architect of bank E has a great ear, very crisp and clean patch work.
Wow I am stoked. Is it because it's an electric blue? I thought you needed a hardware update. If only it had the Quiet II technology. [sigh]

Question 1.
Is this the only way to change banks:
[CURSOR and -1 or +1 at the same time].

Question 2.
I would like to find a manual for my specific voyager, or will 3.4 addendum w/original manual cover it all?

Question 3.
I am looking for a patch called "80's video game". It was interesting because you could touch the T.S. without playing a key and it would make a sound. I can't figure out how to replicate it. If I get that info, I don't really want the sound. I was just gonna reverse engineer it.

Thanks all!

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:50 am

1. Yes
Heres a link to both the manual and the addendum
2. http://www.moogmusic.com/manuals/vgr_eb_man.pdf ; http://www.moogmusic.com/manuals/voy_3_4_Adden.pdf
3. A #16

You might want to try to hit the edit button and go to filter pole select, turn them both to 1 pole and then tweak a slightly resonant and noisy filter and see if you don't love that stuff! Your OS won't do that.

As far as getting the touchpad to do something, thats a slightly more dificult question. I think you can control the pitch of the Oscs with the TS and then send the gate to the envelope perhaps with the TS source and destinations options in the edit menu. Im not 100 %. Sometimes i try to answer these questions without running downstairs and powering my Voyager up.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:02 am

If I may expand just a bit on EricK's response, in addition to using CURSOR +1/-1 to select banks, you can also select banks by sending a MIDI Bank Change message.

Also, the Voyager 3.4 Addendum includes a two-page menu reference chart at the back, which should provide the bulk of the information you need regarding Operating System functions in OS 3.4. This chart is also available as a stand-alone document on KnobTweak if anyone needs it.

Lastly, there's no factory preset called "80's Video Game". The Preset that EricK cited is from the Select Series bank and is called "8-Bit Video Game Sound"; this is probably the Preset you are referring to.

-Greg

wooperman

Post by wooperman » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:11 pm

Thanks brethren,
and yup, it's 8-bit vid game, but I guess it's pretty obvious how I made that mistake. Where's the Mario icon? Have to settle for Pacman here > :cry: