Odd harmonic/processing noise - fault or feature?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
RichardK

Odd harmonic/processing noise - fault or feature?

Post by RichardK » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:27 am

On some patches I can hear a background noise, which is confusing me. I don't remember hearing it before and it's proving a bit tricky to pin down what it might be. What it isn't is "because the sound is going through Cubase".

It's basically a processor-like noise, or a "frequency", that doesn't vary with pitch. I'll find the patches that it occurs with; it's very faint and on the one hand. I might be worrying about nothing - but i've never heard it before. It showed up around the same time as I upgraded everything, and I'm wondering if it's due to adding a VX and CP.
Some things hurt more than cars & girls
Sound: Voyager PE, VX-351, CP-251; AIRA, MiniNova, Karma, Reason, Maschine, OP-1
Control: Zaquencer, Reason, Panorama P4

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:26 pm

It could be the VX...isn't there some kind of processor that goes with that? :?
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

RichardK

Post by RichardK » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:00 pm

It's the VX-351 - when it's disconnected it goes away. I'm going to try going back to the original lead in case my replacement black cable isn't shielded adequately, but at least I know what it is and can therefore dismiss it as "a feature" - unless my VX is faulty, of course :/

I was concerned my Voyager would need repair!
Sound: Voyager PE, VX-351, CP-251; AIRA, MiniNova, Karma, Reason, Maschine, OP-1

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:29 pm

Do you have the Vx351 hooked up to the CP251? There is a little harness that comes with either the vx351 or the rackmount hardware that allows you to power the c251 From the Voyager but ive heard this generates a lot of noise. SOmething about the power draw.

SOmetimes I can hook up a lot of cables and things and Ill get a whine, not like noise but a whine.

I really can't say though.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

RichardK

Post by RichardK » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:00 am

I do indeed have the CP-251 connected with the internal wire. That might explain why I didn't notice it before when I'd just added the VX.

It's not noise like "hiss", it's noise as in "that's an electrical noise that I'm sure shouldn't be there", and I'd say it is like a slight whine in the background.

I shall declare it a feature, not a bug, and stop worrying about it. If it bugs me too much I'll add an inline switch to cut power to the CP-251 when not required or put the 251's PSU socket onto the rackmount plate and use an external one.