Hi, new guy with EB Voyager here

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
LivePsy

Hi, new guy with EB Voyager here

Post by LivePsy » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:39 pm

Hi All,

Just bought the EB voyager last week and so I'm very pleased with it. I've repaired a few odd analog synths (MS-10 and Octave Cat) enough to know how unreliable the original Moogs must be by now. So to have spot on tuning and such control from 14-bit controllers is very welcome. I can remember Mr Moog commenting that 7-bit wan't enough resolution for the midi CC messages back when midi was being tabled and he was right. Somehow the Voyager hybrid of analog controlled by digital ends up being wonderfully musical.

I'm tempted to get an OS no other reason than its a work of art and tribute to the model D. That's how much I love these new products.

Regards,
B

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:51 pm

Welcome to the site, I look forward to your posts. Congrats on a great piece of gear!

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:21 am

Uh-oh...another big spender, er, I mean,uh, Mooger. Welcome to our family! Someday, I too will have a Voyager. I'm thinking mahogany/Jade. And Old School, if they are still around at a reasonable price by then. I've got my order in for a Taurus III, already. :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

LivePsy

Post by LivePsy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:50 am

The colour choices: this is a piece of cruelty IMHO. I don't KNOW what I want! I originally would have only wanted ash, since that's what a model D is. But when I saw a woodgrain next to the EB, I preferred the black - I have yet to see the blue speckles in the finish which is fine by me. I will forever think of it as black and be done with it. The wood just seemed to distract from the keyboard and black panel. Dunno why, but the EB got my dollar (so to speak). So there's still justification in my eyes to get an ash OS :)

Cheers,
B

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:49 am

LivePsy wrote:The colour choices: this is a piece of cruelty IMHO. I don't KNOW what I want! I originally would have only wanted ash, since that's what a model D is. But when I saw a woodgrain next to the EB, I preferred the black - I have yet to see the blue speckles in the finish which is fine by me. I will forever think of it as black and be done with it. The wood just seemed to distract from the keyboard and black panel. Dunno why, but the EB got my dollar (so to speak). So there's still justification in my eyes to get an ash OS :)

Cheers,
B
If only I had won the lottery...I could have had one of every color combination. :(
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Christopher Winkels

Post by Christopher Winkels » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:07 am

Just one of each? Think big, my good man! :wink:

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:23 pm

Christopher Winkels wrote:Just one of each? Think big, my good man! :wink:
Well that's 42 Voyagers...then I'd want a Little Phatty Stage II with the same light combo as my Stage I, and that's not to mention the 110 space modular from synthesizers.com. Perhaps a Moog 55 from Modusonics, as well. Also, a whitewash OS and standard finish OS, both customized. :wink:

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:34 am

I really yearned for the mahogany Lunar, because that to me looked the most classy. It woudl have matched my rhodes and Micro perfectly.

I settled for the ash lunar though because I got it and the vx251 for 2999. I couldn't argue with that. Usually when you find a deal like that you dont have many options.

Cruelty indeed!

Eric

LivePsy

Post by LivePsy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:50 am

EricK wrote:I settled for the ash lunar though because I got it and the vx251 for 2999.
Ash Lunar sounds like the perfect combination so don't feel bad about that. The only thing I miss is the great look of the OS (assuming there is only the one wood finish). In the shop I fiddled with the Voyager and then switched to the OS and immediately though "Eeew, too much knob twiddling to change sounds". So maybe the OS isn't for me, but it looks great.

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:48 am

Novamusik (where i got my deal) has whitewash Voyagers theremins and old schools. THey also have the new Voyager NE which will let you have colored rockerswitches and jacks.

Well the Voyager doesn't have les knobs than the OS but if presets are for you then more power to you. My only thing is that I love that touchpad and patch memory.

If knob twiddling isn't for you then you have come to the wrong company lolo Just teasing.

Eric

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:14 pm

Live Psy, huh? Sounds like a good idea to me!
Any clips of your music to be had? I'd like very much to hear it.

Cheers,

Amos
(one of the fellows who makes these nice instruments)

Anna's Digit

Post by Anna's Digit » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:54 pm

I wish they still selling the OS's by the time I finish saving , 6 or 7 months from now I mite upload some photos of mine ones I purchase one .

Seb.

:D
Who 'em i ? who are you ?
Born in 1987 .
http://www.myspace.com/donteatdinosaurs (8bit/lo-fi proyect)

LivePsy

Post by LivePsy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:46 pm

Amos wrote:Live Psy, huh? Sounds like a good idea to me!
Any clips of your music to be had? I'd like very much to hear it.

Cheers,

Amos
(one of the fellows who makes these nice instruments)
Can I post an MP3 file up here? Its about a couple of megs. The "live" bit hasn't worked out too well, but its still my dream for improv synthesis with drum machines.