Moog Dollars and Sense

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
wooperman

Moog Dollars and Sense

Post by wooperman » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:26 pm

I already have an Old School. When you (I) have a synth with no patch save, it causes me to get in there and make patches that normally I wouldn't. If I left my Old School the night before in an experimental state, the next time I play it for something more traditional, I'll have to create the patch, if not by ear, then by a paper patch sheet. More often than not, by ear, so I have gotten to where I know whats going to happen when I turn a know etc.

But garsh, It would be nice to have the patch save and midi too,...so I turn to you, the forumers.
I'd like to get a New Voyager, for a year trial run, and see if I use the Old School or Midi one more than the other.

I am not rich by any definition of the word. I should not buy a Voyager, but if I did, how long do you think the values are going to stay up? If I kept a brand new voyager in top condition for a year and had to sell it, how much might I get for it? I looked on ebay, but I'm sure thats not the only way to determine the street value. There are so many of these things out there, that one would think that the supply and demand would push the used market way down. As far as ebay goes, they are only slightly less expensive than new. (and I don't want to buy a really old model that is difficult to update)

I don't really know what my question is...I need help sorting this out. Do I need patch save and midi? Do I need another Voyager?

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:47 pm

If money's an issue, you could go with a Little Phatty. However, if you need the memory and functionality of the Voyager Performer, start a Moog fund. Set up a separate bank account, and whenever you can, add whatever you can to it. A lengthy way to save for a Voyager, but it works, because that's how I'm saving for a modular. Besides, a Voyager is only ten Moog Financial Units. 1 MFU=300 USD :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

wooperman

Post by wooperman » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:57 pm

Yes, the new currency MFU's, I like, I like.

acorkos

Post by acorkos » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:01 pm

i would buy used, especially if you possibly would not be keeping it. sell it later and get your dough back.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:03 pm

wooperman wrote:Yes, the new currency MFU's, I like, I like.
Read more about it here http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopi ... 0&start=15 :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

wooperman

Post by wooperman » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:10 pm

Yeah, it just kind of hit me that 2800 dollars is two sets of 1000 dollars and another set of 800 dollars. Individually, those sets can buy a lot of stuff, or simply free up other debt. I have decided to NOT, buy another voyager...wow. Feels good.Don't get me wrong, if I was Paris Hilton, I would have a Moog wing in each of my little bungalows. But I aint, so fug it.

Analog!

Post by Analog! » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:28 pm

yeah, i think that just rocking the OS is a good idea. if you do get the overwhelming urge to have the extra features on the regular voyager, sell the OS and make the purchase. spending another 3k for an extra voyager just sounds painful.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:51 pm

wooperman wrote:Yeah, it just kind of hit me that 2800 dollars is two sets of 1000 dollars and another set of 800 dollars. Individually, those sets can buy a lot of stuff, or simply free up other debt. I have decided to NOT, buy another voyager...wow. Feels good.Don't get me wrong, if I was Paris Hilton, I would have a Moog wing in each of my little bungalows. But I aint, so fug it.
Nine MFU's plus a hundred bucks...doesn't sound so bad even though it is a ridiculous amount of money. :shock: If I was rich, Id have one of every combination of Voyager Select, and a custom Old School whitewash with reverse colored keys and white switches. And a wall of Roland amps. :mrgreen:

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:20 pm

WHy don't you consider going to Novamusik.com and looking at their Rack Mount Edition. If its purely for experimental purposes then get a used RME off of ebay preferably for 1500+ or find something in that price range, and see. But I know all about not wanting to refer constantly to patch sheets.

Basically, not having memory does make you a better programmer uin the long run because you know each function intimately. But it gets old trying to reproduce stuff.

Basically a voyager will depreciate as soon as you get it. Regardless of condition it depreciates. However the market rapists on ebay out there get top dollar for Moog and they always will. So theres your caveat emptor.

I have to run to class.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:21 pm

I have a Voyager Performer Edition and am thinking the opposite of what you're thinking! :-) But then I keep going back to the fact that I record and I like to be able to get back to a preset "like that"...

Having said that - if I were in your position - I would get a Little Phatty Stage Edition II. This gives you many advantages. First of all, you have a smaller Moog that you can take places and feel comfortable moving around the house should you want to. You can also connect them to one another and make cool things happen. It's alot less expensive than a Voyager. You can afford a Moogerfooger if you want one. This way you have (more or less) the best of both worlds. A Moog with memory and a Moog without that is a bit more advanced.

My $.02.
Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition + LP Stage II + Sub37 + Model D reissue + CP-251 + VX-351

lanxe

Post by lanxe » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:51 pm

earsmack wrote:I would get a Little Phatty Stage Edition II. This gives you many advantages. First of all, you have a smaller Moog that you can take places and feel comfortable moving around the house should you want to. You can also connect them to one another and make cool things happen. It's alot less expensive than a Voyager. You can afford a Moogerfooger if you want one. This way you have (more or less) the best of both worlds. A Moog with memory and a Moog without that is a bit more advanced.

My $.02.

I have both the OS and the LP. best of both worlds. patch memory when i feel lazy. knob twiddling when i feel experimental. and i can connect both together for many interesting combination of sound (and more importantly - its fun!).

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:29 pm

You can put the NOS into Panel Mode, and it's essentially an OS when the knob isn't moving.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:23 pm

EricK wrote:
Basically, not having memory does make you a better programmer uin the long run because you know each function intimately.
That's not true for everyone.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:10 pm

Maybe if they made a Memory Module. Like for an upgrade send the module back instead of the whole synth.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Anna's Digit

Post by Anna's Digit » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:04 am

Instead of writing down the parameter of an Moog Old School just take close pics by a crappy didtal camera and save the pics in your computer or memory stick.
I love the Moog Old School ! cant wait to save all the money !
:D
Who 'em i ? who are you ?
Born in 1987 .
http://www.myspace.com/donteatdinosaurs (8bit/lo-fi proyect)