Voyager OS midi control (kenton etc)

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
DIGITAL SCREAMS

Voyager OS midi control (kenton etc)

Post by DIGITAL SCREAMS » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:50 pm

Hi all

I've just joined this forum - looks like we have some nice people here.

I have just bought an OS (waiting for delivery) and I was just wondering....

Will a Kenton ProSolo give me control of the OS with my sequencer? I need to be able to sequence it with Cubase 4.

How do people get the OS working with their DAW?

Thanks for your help...

DS

acorkos

Post by acorkos » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:18 pm

it'll work if you can send midi out from cubase to the kenton. the kenton has CV and gate outs which will plug into your OS back panel gate and pitch jacks....and it looks like the kenton can control additional OS parameters with the Aux CV out and LFO....like filter cutoff or panning, for example.

i use an MFB Step64 sequencer with my OS....in 16 step mode it will control pitch, gate and 2 additional CV parameters on the OS. I send clock info to the sequencer via midi from a drum machine.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:56 pm

Of course, I'm going to suggest the hardware sequencer route. Synthesizers.com Q119. :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:48 am

COngrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:33 am

Lol, all these people who by a MIDI-less synth only to hook it up to their sequencer the "old school" way (MIDI-CV). I'd laugh even harder if somebody offered MIDI retrofits for the OS at a later time.

Why not buy a regular Voyager?

My NZD 0.04

DIGITAL SCREAMS

Post by DIGITAL SCREAMS » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:53 am

latigid on wrote:Lol, all these people who by a MIDI-less synth only to hook it up to their sequencer the "old school" way (MIDI-CV). I'd laugh even harder if somebody offered MIDI retrofits for the OS at a later time.

My NZD 0.04
Well in my case....I bought the OS for two main reasons....

1) I wanted a synth where I *had* to program it. 800 presets on a monosynth is of no interest to me.....I love experimenting and finding my *own* voice.....so in this regard I am old school in my outlook (hell, I even program all my DX7 sounds)

2) I didnt want the touch screen or LCD display screwing with the asthetics, workflow, sound etc....

oh....and I guess point 3 (although not a conscious reason) there is a $$$ saving.

I run a modern bedroom studio with a variety of gear - all i want to do is bring the OS up to a level where it can be fully integrated. For that, I dont need to go the full hog with patch presets and displays etc do I? lol

DS

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:29 am

You can program a DX7? Impressive!

I'm not trying to chide you in any way; it just appears that lots of people buy an OS, then hook it straight back up to MIDI :).

You certainly don't have to use presets on a NOS (Not Old School) Voyager. There's a panel mode which uses all the current positions of all the knobs.

And the LCD is pretty tiny, isn't it? Cover it so it doesn't hamper the flow? Plus you get a touchscreen. Hey, it's another controller

Of course the NOS uses 14-bit controllers to change the parameters despite only displaying 7 or 8 bit (128/256). 14-bit = 16384. That's a very smooth knob-turn.

Enjoy your new Moog!

lanxe

Post by lanxe » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:52 am

DIGITAL SCREAMS wrote:
latigid on wrote:Lol, all these people who by a MIDI-less synth only to hook it up to their sequencer the "old school" way (MIDI-CV). I'd laugh even harder if somebody offered MIDI retrofits for the OS at a later time.

My NZD 0.04
Well in my case....I bought the OS for two main reasons....

1) I wanted a synth where I *had* to program it. 800 presets on a monosynth is of no interest to me.....I love experimenting and finding my *own* voice.....so in this regard I am old school in my outlook (hell, I even program all my DX7 sounds)

2) I didnt want the touch screen or LCD display screwing with the asthetics, workflow, sound etc....

oh....and I guess point 3 (although not a conscious reason) there is a $$$ saving.

I run a modern bedroom studio with a variety of gear - all i want to do is bring the OS up to a level where it can be fully integrated. For that, I dont need to go the full hog with patch presets and displays etc do I? lol

DS
i agree!

i need to find a midi to cv unit too. i should have bought a mobius when they were still being made (midi to cv and a sequencer).

Ljudmakaren

Re: Voyager OS midi control (kenton etc)

Post by Ljudmakaren » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:19 pm

Well, reeeeally long after the last post. Zombie thread etc.

I have the OS, i have had the phatty, sub37 and the “NOS” voyager before that. The phatty was awesome but I changed it for the sub37 which where faulty, got a new sub37 which where also faulty so i got the voyager. The voyager had a lot of strange sounds from the midi-implementation and some other bugs. It wasn’t as smooth as the phattys and it felt, despite the awesome raw sound, as it was soulless to me. So i sold it and got the OS.

THIS IS AN INSTRUMENT WITH A SOUL!

Everything feels so direct and responsive and I don’t lost myself in menu dividing. I can do a lot with it and the vx/cp combo.

Still there is some mods I would like to do like the multitrigger, pole select and PB range select. I would also like the option to hook it up to a computer without messing with its soul (and sound).

So instead of making a new thread I thought of reviving an old one and ask if there is more good alternatives for midi to cv (calibrateable) out there now. Preferably with 1/4” jacks.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:12 pm

Congrats on your new VOS :)

I like the LP enough not to have changed it for a Sub-anything. I like the OS enough not to want to have a full-MIDI-memories Voyager :)
Ljudmakaren wrote:Still there is some mods I would like to do like the multitrigger, pole select and PB range select. I would also like the option to hook it up to a computer without messing with its soul (and sound).
Multitrigger: it already exists. There is a key combo at to perform at start-up.
Pitch stick range selection: it exists as well, lucky day :) There is jumper to move inside to seect between 2, 5 and 7 semi-tones.

That's all I have for you! :D

Ljudmakaren

Post by Ljudmakaren » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:27 pm

Yeah, it’s my favourite possession together with my old jazz bass. :)

I did not know about the multitrigger startup thing, that’s awesome! It would still be great to be able to switch without rebooting the synth.

I am wondering about getting an Analog Four as a companion for the Voyager OS. As it works as a drum machine, poly or four separate synths and as a cv sequencer it seems as a good buy. Do anyone know if it also works as a midi to cv interface from, say, a computer?
If it works i think I’ll buy it in a heartbeat!