OLD SCHOOL DISCONTINUED!?!

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
coniglius
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:03 pm
Location: Conejo Valley

Post by coniglius » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:31 am

Hmm... I always thought that among anyone musically inclined "Moog" was a somewhat popular name. I've been a guitar player long before I'd ever dream of touching a keyboard and I'd heard of them and knew what they were. My wife even asked me at some point out of the blue, this was before I'd ever had a keyboard in the house let alone a Moog; "What's a Moog"? Pronounced phonetically, of course ;)
Voyager Old School • Haken Continuum w/CVC • Hammond C-3/BC/A/M-3 • Leslie 122/142/45/46 • Clavinet D6 • Wurlitzer 206A • Yamaha CS01 • Pianet N • Casio CDP-100

User avatar
latigid on
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:47 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Post by latigid on » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:06 am

Re: the market.

Well, for an analog monosynth, Moog is top of the list. Especially if you're a musician earning actual money!

Just went to a music festival yesterday, and saw a few Moogs, notably

The Prodigy (Voyager, or is it for looks only??)
Sneaky Sound System (Voyager)
Serj Tankian and the FCC (LP)
Hot Chip (Voyager)

Which begs the question: what other analog monosynths are actually out there? Maybe Studio Electronics or DSI?

Anna's Digit
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:53 am
Location: Auckland

Post by Anna's Digit » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:03 am

latigid on wrote:Re: the market.

Well, for an analog monosynth, Moog is top of the list. Especially if you're a musician earning actual money!

Just went to a music festival yesterday, and saw a few Moogs, notably

The Prodigy (Voyager, or is it for looks only??)
Sneaky Sound System (Voyager)
Serj Tankian and the FCC (LP)
Hot Chip (Voyager)

Which begs the question: what other analog monosynths are actually out there? Maybe Studio Electronics or DSI?

i sold my big day out ticket last week .....i rather invest the 110$ towards the moog little phatty SEII im saving for :wink:
Who 'em i ? who are you ?
Born in 1987 .
http://www.myspace.com/donteatdinosaurs (8bit/lo-fi proyect)

EricK
Posts: 5974
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:09 pm

Post by EricK » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:57 am

coniglius



Price
Okay Ill give you an example. I theorize that there aren't a lot of folks out there who know Moog. Like I said I think we are a relatively small family in a world where everyone and their grandmothers twice removed knows Fender or even Roland or Yamaha. How many of these people out there are theremin players? Ill bet thats an even smaller demographic.
WHen Moog discontunied their Etherwave Pro they ran their last batch for 12-1500. After all the dealers ran out I saw one sell for 8,000. THats alot of cheese for something thats not in demand.

People are simply getting raped on Ebay and Craigslist for just about ANYTHING Moog. Hell, even those Moog car parts, and Andy Moog (the hockey player) probably get inflated bids just for popping up on the same Ebay Searches lol.

You may be right though as far as the Synths themselves are concerned, but I guess we both have a legit 50/50 shot.

You might can find a NEW OS for cheaper than 2500 or perhaps a used one for around there, but a top notch Model D is going to START THE BIDDING at 3500 because ebay sellers are Moog Rapists. THe Taurus I's I know a place selling them for 4900. You put a beat up barely working Model D with an aftermarket cabinet (thats still beat up) and bubbling panels and you are going to get 3,000 for it because of the Moog Rapists. This is my impression of the market.

I also think some of the people buying the OS are also people who would like a Select Voyager but have to consider the fact that the economy sucks. THe price of the Voyager alone makes it hard to consider that as a feasible purchase for most people interested. But I theorize that most people coming to Moog in the first place already are "in the know." I think these people are seperate entities of people just getting into the synth market. This very well may make your point for you though.

You may be right about the appreciabillity.

Now FWIW, you did specify that the new Moog Music Vs Moog were into way different categories so were splitting hairs on whats vintage and whats not lol. The Liberation too had afterpressure. Lets keep it at Pre Midi then lololol. I am all too familliar with the allure of Modulars, so we will take a raincheck on this argument. lol

I own a Micro, and Im not an Android so I can't measure the milliseconds, but on both synths when I hit a key there isn't a noticable delay. My father though, who is a genuine keyboardist DID say something about the voyager not responding quickly enough. I guess you really notice the latency depending on your skill level. My friend had a midi controller and I wanted to show him this riff I wrote and I couldn't play it because it had a rest and I was playing with the rests trying to really feel the groove and I simply couldn't play his keyboard. He said there was nothing wrong at all. I felt like I was totally fighting the rhythm. So My father very well could have noticed something that I am not capable of noticing.

Oh for the record, the keyboard isn't my instrument of choise. Im NOT a piano player at all.

I don't know. THey definately aren't a corporation. And Bob has only been dead a few years, the Phatty and the Murf being his last achievements. So What if they aren't "Bob Moog exploring a new medium" Once you get something right and get something damn good, theres not much more perfection that you can manage. THe Moog you speak so highly of (pretty much just modulars) did continue to push the envelope. The micro was one of the first synths to have the ribbon controller (not mentioning the Ondes Martenot) and the Polymoog was a great attempt at polyphonic analog stuff (that STILL really doesn't exist today without digital chips). How high are your expectations? I mean we are talking about analog synths.....which are obsolete but still perpetuated by SOME kind of market somewhere. Buchla is still selling $30,000 synths as well as synthesizers.com. Modusonics is still pounding out Vintage Moog boards.

McBeth
THe OS wasn't supposed to be the Model D. Bob said theres enough of those around he didn't want to make one of those again.

I think you duped me into one of those Model D Vs Voyager debates lolol.
Well you have some legitimate points but let me tell you this. It all comes down to that Moog sound. And I hold the New Moog to the same standards as the old Moog, but I don't expect their new stuff to compete on the same playing field. Catch my drift? THe first thing that I thought when Bob passed away was "There goes the company". THats usually the story, cut the head off the snake and the body dies. But you know what, we will see. THey have got some real talent over there with Cyril Lance and Steve Dunnington and Amos Gaynes. Think about the Prodigy and that didn't even have anything to do with Bob. His designs were so good they they built at least ONE model of Moog that stands the test of time. And those babies start out on Ebay at a grand.

I do think you are splitting hairs a bit. If you saw the Stones in 69 thats cool and if you saw the stones in 94 thats cool too. BUT you see a band thats been on tour like that and you hear all those years of experience in their technique and the quality of their performance. This Is evident in people like RIngo or Paul or Sting, or Prince. A different debate though but just like all of the years of Bob's synthbuilding culminated in the perfect marriage of old and new with the Performer. Not everyone going to buy an OS rejects digital or is a super hardcore analog purist, though that was PART of their intended demographic.


Finally,
I talk to alot of people and they don't know what Moog is. I meet people all the time that don't know the name. And if they do they don't know the reputation. Why, Fender is so much better. Moog was a household name in my household ever since I can remember, but some people just haven't been exposed to it, keyboard players not included. Plus, digital is so much cooler, right? They want thousands of simultaneous voices and the all in 1 workstations. Hell, some people get turned off by monophonics lol.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

acorkos
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:14 pm
Location: Redondo Beach, CA

Post by acorkos » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:45 am

coniglius wrote:They might have done a run of 1000, but how many do you really think are out there? My guess is that number is more like 300. Does anyone have a serial number higher than this?
my OS #0243 was shipped from Moog Music to my dealer 10/23/2008 (a few days too early for the free cp251 :cry: )

Igor
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:36 pm
Location: RUSSIA, Moscow

Post by Igor » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:23 am

Matt Friedman wrote:... In fact, Moog is probably clearing capacity for the Taurus.
Let suggest they are probably clearing capacity for Polything
Voyager EB, VX-351, CP-251, Moogerfoogers, Theremin standard, Theremin Plus
DSI Prophet '08, Korg KARMA w/MOSS, Arturia Origin
Mackie Onyx 1620 w/FW, Lexicon MX400, Apogee Duet
OSX/Logic Studio (G4/G5/Intel)

User avatar
mayidunk
Posts: 639
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:28 am

Post by mayidunk » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:54 pm

I noticed that NovaMusik has a couple out on ebay that don't seem to be moving at all!

I'm tempted... truly tempted! However, I think the money would be better spent adding a few MoogerFoogers to the current set-up instead. Actually, if truth be told, the money would actually be better spent in doing a few things to the car that have needed to be done for a while now. Then again, with the economy the way it is...

The car?... The OS?... Some MFs?...

The economy!!!!!!!!! :shock: :cry:

Temptations that make a man truly go... bizzare! :x :evil:

:lol:

User avatar
Voltor07
Posts: 5194
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 3:04 am
Location: Waukegan, IL USA
Contact:

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:00 pm

mayidunk, I know what you mean. I totaled my 2007 Charger I paid cash for in 2007. Now I've got to buy a new car! :shock: At least I had some [modular] money saved up, and the insurance company gave me twenty thousand for a new car. But then there's the credit card bill for the Taurus and two tanks of gas, the cable bill, the electric bill, the rent, etc. At least the court costs from my accident cost a mere $139. :lol:

As a Mooger, everything seems cheaper than it actually is. $500? That's a new MP-201. $265? That's an MF-101. It's all relative. :lol: I just hate that I'm spending the equivalent of 10 OS's Monday. :shock:
Sub 37 #000068, Minitaur, CP-251, MF-102&103, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, Lowrey Teenie Genie.

User avatar
RichardK
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:53 am

Post by RichardK » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:10 pm

Get a Challenger!

Also, buying any car right now, if it's American, will make some people very very happy indeed.

(I got to drive a Charger for Thanksgiving break; I forgot they existed since we only get the 300C here and when the rental company said "Hey, your midsize is a Sebring" I basically said "Oh god, give me ANYTHING but that. PLEASE". And they suggested a Dodge Avenger >_<. So we got an upgrade).

I wish they sold the Challenger here. I'd have an orange SRT.
Some things hurt more than cars & girls
Sound: Voyager PE, VX-351, CP-251; AIRA, MiniNova, Karma, Reason, Maschine, OP-1
Control: Zaquencer, Reason, Panorama P4

EricK
Posts: 5974
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:09 pm

Post by EricK » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:19 pm

Hey Volt,
you could always get yourself a Ford Taurus.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAH
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

User avatar
Voltor07
Posts: 5194
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 3:04 am
Location: Waukegan, IL USA
Contact:

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:25 pm

EricK wrote:Hey Volt,
you could always get yourself a Ford Taurus.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAH
Don't say that! :shock: I had two of them...a '94 and a '98. Horrible cars. Had to put a new engine in the '98, and the '94 was a hunk of crap!

I'm getting a 2009 Subaru Forester. All wheel drive, heated seats, the works! All for the price of my Charger. Which wasn't AWD and didn't have heated seats, and wasn't built as well. AND it's built in Ohio, so technically, it's still American! :mrgreen:
Sub 37 #000068, Minitaur, CP-251, MF-102&103, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, Lowrey Teenie Genie.

User avatar
Doc Tonewheel
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:35 am
Location: West Chester, PA

Post by Doc Tonewheel » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:30 pm

I'm glad I got my OS!!!! I absolutely love it!
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D, Moog MF-102, Hammond A105 + Leslie 122RV, Yamaha CP4, Hohner D6 Clavinet, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha MOXF8, SK1-73, Access Virus KC, Nord Wave, Korg MS-04, Dave Smith Mopho Kbd

jamezdd73
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:03 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by jamezdd73 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:41 pm

I wouldn't have minded one day in the distant future, spending money on buying an Old School to go with the Phatty, (or use the Phatty to go with the Old School... however you want to look at it), but now I guess I'll just have to save up for the full Voyager!!!

Hopefully the economy will be on my side in 2 or 3 years.
Little Phatty Stage II #3602, MoogerFooger CP-251 #1785
MF-103 12 Stage Phaser #6093, MF-104m Analog Delay #0301
--
My band: www.facebook.com/InstantMorning

User avatar
Voltor07
Posts: 5194
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 3:04 am
Location: Waukegan, IL USA
Contact:

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:33 am

jamezdd73 wrote:I wouldn't have minded one day in the distant future, spending money on buying an Old School to go with the Phatty, (or use the Phatty to go with the Old School... however you want to look at it), but now I guess I'll just have to save up for the full Voyager!!!

Hopefully the economy will be on my side in 2 or 3 years.
Hopefully, I'll be able to buy one either used, or as NOS. After all, Sam Ash still has Voyagers available from one or two years ago! :wink:
Sub 37 #000068, Minitaur, CP-251, MF-102&103, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, Lowrey Teenie Genie.

EricK
Posts: 5974
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:09 pm

Post by EricK » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:54 am

Novamusic has those whitewash OS Voyagers.

I think you can get them for like 2195.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Post Reply